+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    mammalinz - so sorry to read your news

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All,

Sorry about the delay in replying, still very tired and sore.

Baby boy born 15/01/2014 at 10:43pm, weight 3762g, length 54cm after induced labour. Labour progressed very quickly and I ended up with a 4th degree perineal tear. Luckily I had an epidural and didn't feel any of this while it was happening. I had only just had the epidural and then was examined by the midwife to see how things were progressing - suddenly I was 10cm and baby's head was halfway down, when I had only been 2cm not long before. Toward the end baby's heartrate dropped and suddenly the room was full of people, he was helped out with forceps and it was a couple of minutes before he let out a cry. The doctor said there wasn't time to do an epistomy since they wanted baby out fast. DP said his head came out facing up. He was briefly put on my chest and then taken to a table on the side to be given oxygen. I only saw that he cried and that it was a boy, and I was whisked off for surgery to repair the tear. They said I lost 1.5L of blood. It was about an hour later that I got to see DS and he was put on my breast and started sucking immediately.

Here is baby Frank on 16 Jan, less than 24 hours old. His head is quite moulded from going through the birth canal.
    M1240009_8.jpg

Here he is again, at home on 21 Jan.
    M1260001_8.jpg

I have been quite anxious about breastfeeding, it seemed for ages he was vigorously sucking, but nothing was coming out. I wondered if he was getting enough food, and if milk was ever going to come out. He wasn't doing the required number of poos and the right colour, and DP panicked and fed him formula. However now he has been on breast milk alone for a few days, and every time I check his nappy before feeding there is a mustard coloured poo there, he is waking up at night asking to be fed, and I am paying attention to feeding cues such as mouth open. We have had 3 midwife visits, his weight gain and poos are now on track, and I have an appointment with him with a child health clinic next week. I have no idea what is normal for a baby's development stages, so I'm hoping the the child health clinic will give some reassurance.

There have been a few traumatic incidents - on one occasion he peed during a nappy change through his tiny willy which pointed up, it hit the opposite wall and some of it went on his face. This ended up with his eyes being quickly rinsed and him having a bath. Now I remember to put a paper towel over his front while changing to try and avoid such accidents. On another occasion I was changing his nappy and while wiping a new mustard explosion came out of his bum, luckily it went mostly over my hand and not on anything else. Even during a normal nappy change he howls and howls.

During breastfeeding he can be so sweet, he looks up with his little eyes. Then his little eyes close and he seems to doze off while still feeding. I can't stop staring at his beautiful little face while breastfeeding. Sometimes after a traumatic incident (such as above), he burrows his little face in my breast, and his little hands are either side, as if he is hiding his face and wanting comfort.

I am still sore down there, and have been put on some "stool softener" medication so I don't strain the tear repair. It is not very nice since because of this stuff sometimes I have no control over going to the toilet, so I can't go anywhere where there is not fast access to a toilet. I have to do various exercises and see physios in the future, hopefully everything will be normal again.

more later,
    Chook

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing your story Chook. Sounds like you went through quite a lot! Frank is gorgeous - congratulations! Hope you are recovering well and things are going good. Those first few weeks and months can be so stressful and anxiety filled as you work it all out and work out what is normal. I had a pretty rough time when DS was born getting my head around everything but it does get easier!.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Octoberbaby2010 For This Useful Post:

chook11  (01-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Chook-He is lovely. I got quite emotional reading your post and had to walk out to get a tissue for my eyes. I think that the fact that this could be me soon hit me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Team panda For This Useful Post:

chook11  (01-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    chook - He is beautiful !! The first few weeks can be such an adjustment period.
    Team panda - so excited for you ...

Xx

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mammalinz For This Useful Post:

chook11  (01-02-2014),Team panda  (01-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Octoberbaby, Panda - How are you going?

Baby Frank is 3 months old now. He is starting to become more interactive. He smiles all the time and grabs on to toys hanging above his playmat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Octoberbaby - Congratulations on your baby boy. Wonderful that you can leave the TTC journey with two little boys.

Panda - Congratulations on your baby girl.

Just passed the anniversary of my transfer on May 2. Early last year, had just about given up on our baby dream. Still hard to believe sometimes that it all actually happened in the end. So happy with my little man and can't believe how lucky we have been.

best wishes to everyone

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chook11 For This Useful Post:

Octoberbaby2010  (08-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just came across this thread and thought I'd sub. Finally after 13 IVF cycles I'm pregnant. Still doesn't feel real, and still being very guarded. I will go back and read all the pages here, as I'm sure there's lots of information for me. I know everything about IVF, but nothing about being pregnant!! Must dive into new research!!

Chook.... it seems to take so long to get that dream, and now already your beautiful baby is 3 months old. I'm sure you're enjoying every moment, and I can't wait to get there too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bertie - Congratulations on your pregnancy and hope all goes well.

Hope all the others who were part of this thread are going well.

My little man is 11.5 months now. He started crawling properly (instead of dragging) in the last few weeks. Two nights ago I woke up and saw that he had pulled himself to standing in the cot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chook11 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (31-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chook... thanks for your thoughts. Takes so long to finally get to this stage, and already your little one is almost one. Treasure every moment xx

Am interested in knowing if the over 40s had a natural birth or C-section, and what the pros and cons for our age group are? I know this will be a topic of conversation when I see my ob in two weeks time, so want to have a few ideas ready.

AFM... I had another BT today which is at 29dpo (or 5w6d). My Hcg is 21,000 (slightly more than doubled every 48hrs this week) and progesterone is 140 (slightly dropped since last week, but still very good). I've been feeling a bit "icky" since Tuesday, nothing major, but had wondered whether I was imagining it, but there you go, it's still there. A part of me says I should be ever so happy, but the realistic part says I still have a long way to go until safe. Going away for a week's holiday up the coast, so hopefully I can stop googling for a bit!!!