+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Maturemum - Hope to see you back soon.
    TeamPanda - That's wonderful news .

Octoberbaby - Great that your morph scan looked good. Did you have that done at the place on the other side of the road to the McCullough Centre, near McDonalds? I had my nuchal and morph scans done there. The doc there also told me that my risk went down x3 after the morph scan.

Nearly 34 weeks now and feel huge. I am scheduled for a scan next Wed.

I am also quite neurotic here. Usually I have to listen to listen to the heartbeat every morning, and if I don't feel any movements for a while I worry again.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chook11 For This Useful Post:

maturemum1501  (06-12-2013),Team panda  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay Panda! Glad your little girl is all looking good!

Yep Chook, that's where we had both of our scans too. I'll be having a growth scan about that time too just to check on everything. Hopefully the next few weeks will pass quickly for you

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Octoberbaby2010 For This Useful Post:

Team panda  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had a scan yesterday (34 Weeks). I brought my mother along as well as DH this time. Last time you could really see the baby's face, and a good view of legs kicking around. This time, it was hard to see much at all, and didn't get any good pictures. Baby is still large, and they estimated the weight at 3kg. That is about what I weighed when I was born! Head circumference was 324.2mm, that means head diameter would be 103mm. The head is down, and the backbone is along my left side, with legs kicking high to the right. This is consistent with me always feeling kicks to the upper right, and tending to find the heartbeat to the lower left.

The doc afterwards started talking about inducing about 7-10 days before my due date because of my age and the big baby. He says there is a higher risk of the placenta not working in the final stages of pregnancy, for us oldies.

I'm a bit disappointed about this and I'm not sure I like the idea. I would prefer to leave everything alone and let the baby come when s/he is ready. I don't think there is any evidence that my placenta is not working, in fact, it is working too well. Surely they can monitor the placenta, eg with scans? I just wouldn't want to intervene unless it is necessary. The doc says I don't have to do the induction, it is still my choice. I think I will ask more questions at the next appointment.

Also, the doc wants me to do another 2 hour GTT. I had the test before and they said I did not have GT, but they want to do it again because of the big baby. So now that is booked in for next Tuesday morning.

At least my blood pressure was normal. Also I noticed in the printout in my record afterward that my engagement was measured at 3/5 this time, and 3 weeks ago was 5/5. This means the baby is getting more engaged. I am walking home from work everyday, and rocking on a swiss ball at my desk at home, hoping to get Baby in a good position. I am hoping I will go into labour by myself early to avoid them pressuring me about the induction. Tomorrow I am going to see an acupuncturist and ask about helping ripen the cervix etc to get things ready.

Hope everyone is coming along well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Chook
    Sorry to hear that things are not going as you wish. Im sorry I cant help as I dont really know anyone who has had this experience before. Do you know anyone who has been through this? Have you asked the doctor what the pros and cons are of waiting till the baby is ready as opposed to induction?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any advice either Chook, although I know inducing is supposed to be quite awful. Here's hoping bub makes a surprise early appearance for you and takes the decision out of your hands. The other thing is, that even in just a few weeks things can change either for you or the baby so the decision may be clearer the closer you get. Thinking of you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi chook

Please don't let yourself be pressured into an induction. If baby isn't ready this can lead to all sorts of intervention that probably wouldn't be needed if you go into labour spontaneously.
    How many weeks are you? Late term scans are notoriously inaccurate.
    My friend was induced recently due to a big baby. They estimated baby 3.8kg at 37 weeks. Induced at 39.5 weeks. Baby was 3.5kg and induction led to a Caesar that was probably unnecessary had she laboured naturally.
    Best of luck.

Me 39 DF 35
    DD ICSI April 2011
    DD natural November 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Chook,

I was induced at 38+3 with my DD. The main concern for me was I had been at risk of pre-term labour from 26 weeks and with a few other bumps along the way, my Ob, DH & I decided to induce early.

I had the gels first night which did nothing to start contractions, only helped me dialate to 2cm (was 1cm when the gel went in) so had my waters ruptured the next morning. Within 20 mins of AROM I started contracting, they were relatively strong but was able to breath through them. It was only when I had the IV started that my contractions became intense. Within 2-3 hours I requested a epidural and was a relief. My contractions never decreased in intensity & they had to lessen the dose through the IV. Once I was 10cms, I pushed for 40 mins and she was out .

Once my placenta was out it was checked. I had no visible problems with my placenta the whole way through the pregnancy but once it was out and checked it was discovered it had already started calcifying, blood flow through it had decreased and if I had waited until 40 weeks or more, it could have been a big problem for my little girl.

Of course, every person and induction is different so it will always be personal choice. I just wanted to give you an idea of what the experience is as well as the possible placenta problems. I too was 41 when I had my DD.

I wish you all the best in making your decision. It is such a personal one but as long as you are happy with what you decide, that's all that matters

I'm happy to assist in answering anything else you want to know, just ask away if you like.

Sorry for the essay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Chook,

I'm 43 yo and my DD is now 9 months old and doing beautifully and still breastfeeding. Prior to this pregnancy I had three miscarriages and a chemical pregnancy when I was 40-41 yo.

I decided on an elective ceasearan at 38 weeks in a private hospital after reading a large Norwegian population based study, which is referred to here:
    http://contemporaryobgyn.modernmedic...isk-antepartum

My OB had no problems with my request and understood my increasing level of anxiety. There was no evidence of problems prior to the birth or after delivery when the placenta was examined.

I had two vaginal births when I was younger, one was a set of twins. I wish I'd known about how easy ' the other way' was back then - but of course, we are all different and every birth can be very different from one baby to the next.
    Last edited by Pru40; 16-12-2013 at 00:14. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Using a large Norwegian database of more than 575,000 women, Froen et al found that women age 35 or older had a 5.1-fold increased risk of having a stillbirth compared with women younger than 25.3

After adjusting for coexisting conditions, a recent meta-analysis demonstrated that AMA was associated with an increase of 65% in the odds of stillbirth, and the odds increased with increasing age, doubling for women age 40 or older (adjusted Odds Ratio [aOR], 2.29; 95% Confidence Interval [CI], 1.54-3.41).1

Antepartum surveillance is used for women deemed to be at increased risk for fetal death. While AMA has clearly been shown to be a significant risk factor for stillbirth at term, in the absence of other co-indications (eg, maternal or fetal complications), it has not routinely served as an indication for antepartum testing.

In an analysis of stillbirth by maternal age for nonanomalous singleton pregnancies in the United States, Reddy et al found that the risk of stillbirth for women 40 or older was higher at all gestational ages, but was particularly increased after 38 weeks' gestation.4 They demonstrated that older women have a magnitude of stillbirth risk usually seen with postdates, but that this occurs earlier in gestation. For example, for women younger than 35, the risk of stillbirth at 41 weeks is less than that of women aged 35 to 39 at 40 weeks and that of women 40 and older at 39 weeks.

Similarly, Bahtiyar et al used a mathematical model to show that the cumulative risk of stillbirth at 38 and 39 weeks in women aged 40 to 44 was similar to the stillbirth risk in women aged 25 to 29 at 41 and 42 weeks.

Fretts et al performed a decision analysis of antepartum testing late in pregnancy for women who were at least age 35.6 Three strategies were compared: no testing, weekly testing starting at 37 weeks with induction after a positive test, and no testing with induction at 41 weeks. The analysis predicted that of the three, antepartum testing would be the most successful in reducing the number of unexplained stillbirths, although it was also associated with the highest induction rate. The model estimated that it would take approximately 863 antepartum tests and 71 additional inductions to prevent 1 unexplained stillbirth.

...that's the bit I was referring to.

My advice is not to expect 'normal' or 'perfect' or 'going to plan' at this age. There are risks which can be managed. If you're intervening with acupuncture, intervene based on your doctor's advice too.

I have to admit that I watched "Losing Layla" and hadn't forgotten it 12 years later. (Warning to all pregnant ladies: don't watch it, read about it instead, seriously.)

Bestest of luck.
    Last edited by Pru40; 16-12-2013 at 00:08. Reason: More info