+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    mammalinz, thanks for that advice! I am dreading doing the test again. Oh well. Obs said TINA - i.e. There Is No Alternative, so I'm stuck with it. How are things going with Annika? I hope this isn't intrusive (tell me to rack off if it is ) but are your breastfeeding? I wasn't able to with DS (he never got the hang of it) even though I had a big supply (I expressed milk and bottle fed it to him for 4 months ) but I'm wondering if that changes when you get older - I had a midwife say to me that I may not have the supply this time because of my age, which is the first time I've heard that.

Also I have now 'officially' qualified for membership of this thread, turning 40 on Tuesday! Had a great day, DH bought me some lovely pearl earrings, I feel very spoilt. DH bought a bottle of French champagne for us to share after the baby comes too!

Frosty, Have you got your test results yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    TFT---I just checked the results this morning, GTT is negative ( I did the full 2 hour fasting one with the bigger glucose load), phew, but I'm quite anaemic. I was struggling to continue the iron tablets due to really bad constipation. Will restart it again with lots of metamucil and other fibre. Elevit rep came today (she coincidentally used to work for QFG) said she'll bring me back more Elevit samples. Anyway, I've lost weight since 22 weeks, at least 1 kg, I do look bigger though, so not sure the significance until I see Glenda again next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tryingfortwo – so when is the dreaded test? Ugh – just remember to go slow, if your starting to feel sick, take long slow deep breathes, make sure you do it FIRST thing in the morning & if you do feel sick – slow your brain down by counting the chairs in the room etc. It may help? Annika is great. I am due to return to work on Tuesday and I am having second thoughts about it. Hmm. I just don’t know what to do! The breastfeeding was a major fail! You are more than welcome to ask. The same thing happened with my first child, little milk supply. I did BF for two weeks and it really was lovely. I wish we could have done it for longer. As the midwife said to me, give it up Hun, it aint going to work out for you – rather than get stressed or anxious, drop it and just enjoy your baby. I took her advice. Yep, I was told it was due to my age, but THAT IS RUBBISH. It is due to the fact, I had poor milk supply the last time around – 12 YEARS ago. It was about me and my body not my age! Youll be great! Don’t worry about it! Happy birthday ! How lovely is your husband !!

Frostysmum – It isn’t that uncommon to loose a bit of weight but still get bigger. That happened to me, and bub was fine. Just meant I lost in my fat areas, but bub was still getting all the good stuff, as they are trained to do! Iyou passed the glucose test – tough isn’t it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Roll Call
    Due dates

Gardenia2 - 16th Feb 2012 - Love a surprise **

LizzieG - 18th March 2012 - girl

trying for two - 10th May 2012 -boy

frostysmum- 14th May 2012- girl

lilbirdy - 14th August 2012

SpotTheOcelot - 4th September 2012

cjm1 -- 6th September 2012

Lilwish - 4th Oct 2011

Births

Hoping4asticky1 - Emma Jane 31/07/11

Mammalinz - Annika Finn 11/1/12

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tryingfortwo View Post
    I hope this isn't intrusive (tell me to rack off if it is ) but are your breastfeeding? I wasn't able to with DS (he never got the hang of it) even though I had a big supply (I expressed milk and bottle fed it to him for 4 months ) but I'm wondering if that changes when you get older - I had a midwife say to me that I may not have the supply this time because of my age, which is the first time I've heard that.
    Hi Tryingfortwo - that is RUBBISH about your age being indicative of your milk supply. I totally agree with mummalinz . I am 41 - soon to be 42 and I have had good supply (although look at the end of my post, as I needed some help with supply when bubba was prem, but just needed a 'kick start'). I am still breastfeeding and hope to for as long as I can. I hear people have issues with supply at ALL ages. Breastfeeding is NOT easy, no matter what anyone says. It is extremely stressful at an already stressful time (yes happy, but the event is a stressful event no matter what). I put up with very sore nipples (not cracked/broken, thank goodness) because I chose to persist. I understand why people can't and don't. It was a couple of months before it was no longer painful or uncomfortable. Yes, I know I probably wasn't doing it correctly if it was painful, but all of the contradicting advice I was being given by midwives & lactation consultants (I really tried my best at seeking advice) didn't help, so I knew atleast my bubba was getting milk as was putting on weight, albeit very minimal, at times. You do what's best for you, because if you're not ok, bubba's not ok. If milk supply is low, it is recommended that you go on Fenugreek (6000mg load, then 1000mg one capsule three times a day). If this still isn't enough the Paediatrician or GP can write a script for Motilium, which can be taken in addition to the Fenugreek. These were strongly endorsed and recommended whilst I was in hospital - by the midwives & my Paediatrician. You could possibly start taking the Fenugreek a bit before bubba is expected, I guess, if you feel that might support your milk. Not sure, maybe speak with Ob or GP about it.

Frosty

Betel

TRH

Redmumma
    Last edited by Redmumma; 11-02-2012 at 09:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Redmumma, thank you for generously sharing your story - having had a premmie first time round (DS was 33 weeks) I admire you persevering with breastfeeding.

Frosty, great to hear your passed your GTT! I was found to have low anaemia too - I had dropped the Fefol for the same reasons as you but Glenda put me on FerrogradC this time and I am finding that I am feeling way, way better AND don't seem to have constipation as badly - although I am taking Benefiber every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    TFT---When is your next glucose test? I hope the result is good. I've taken some ferro F from the sample cupboard today, along with some Movicol, Glenda told me to do Movicol for the constipation, so I'll give it a try, hopefully it won't go the other way. She scared me a bit yesterday talking about prem labour. Hmmm what do I need to be prepared for that? I think for starters maybe pack a bag? In terms of big items, I only have the carseat to buy, maybe a chair for nursing, although everything is still in flat pack or just simply thrown into the room for now. She's booking me in for the first week of May. Have you got a date yet? I'll see you at the antenatal class I suppose. We have our hospital tour next Tuesday night, important to check out where we can park and where DH can drop me off and pick me up.

AFM---27 weeks. Saw the ob yesterday, she's happy with bub's size etc. everything is according to textbook she says. (for once OMG!) She's keen to get bub out at 38 weeks or earlier if there's even any sign of trouble if more than 32 weeks. I'm getting mum to get her flight booked for end of April I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Frosty, Yay for 27 weeks! Slowly but surely we are getting there, you and me! Yep, prem labour is a scary prospect, Glenda has me a 30% chance of going premmie too - she won't even give me a date yet for a scheduled c-section to I figure its the more likely outcome for me, frankly . I have my premmie kit ready - my hospital bag, a couple of good books (they will try to halt labour for at least 24 hours to let the steroids take effect to get baby's lungs ready to breathe so unless you really, really love daytime TV a couple of good books are definitely necessary!) and a steriliser. The reason I say a steriliser is that for my DS at 33 weeks I had to express milk for 5 weeks before he could suck feed and they recommended that I sterilise the breastfeeding equipment and dummy (not sure if they recommend peristaltic dummies anymore, but my DS certainly used one). I'm anticipating a better-than-even chance I'll end up bottle-feeding given what happened last time so I figure it won't be wasted anyway. I hired a pump last time when I went home from hospital and will hire again if required this time. I have my infection and thyroid blood tests tomorrow, see Glenda on Monday and then do my GTT next Thursday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips TFT. After I got scared by Glenda the other day I came home and ordered the steriliser. I'll try to pack the hospital bag this weekend. The night splints I got from the hand therapist worked a charm, first night my hand didn't wake me up with throbbing pain.

I wonder if Gardenia had her bub yet?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pregnant shopping habits

Hello everyone,

I want to share this article with you, even though at our age our shopping habits are no longer that vulnerable to manipulation by retailers and peer group pressure [heaven help me with my teenagers' shopping habits]. Anyway, this article is a real eye-opener. We expect to be advertised at when we visit websites like this one, it's part of the deal, we consent, but this is something else:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/2/

It makes me wonder what the big drug companies are up to.

Does our group have another baby yet?? I am eagerly awaiting an update from Gardenia.

Lilwish, what are your indicators like now? Thinking of you.

I also wanted to share that my first child was born at 30 weeks, after labour was delayed for 3 days to allow the steroid injection to mature his lungs. He spent 5 weeks in a special care nursery, after a few days in an intensive care nursery. His APGAR scores were 9 & 9. I fed him expressed breast milk for 6 months and he caught up beautifully. He's now a six foot pain in the **** - a completely normal 14 yo boy - who continues to delight and amaze me too. So, please don't be too anxious about delivering early.

AFM, I am still walking for 45 minutes at dawn and persist with the controlled diet. I failed at the walks for three days in a row and DH had to dislodge me from bed this morning and literally get me back on track. Even with this awesome goal in mind, it is hard to be perfect. Am definitely not an angel of the morning!!

Warm wishes to everyone.