+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default William Angliss

Hi all!
    I have a few questions about the William Angliss Hospital & would really love some answers
    I was told my partner could stay overnight with me, but now that I've received all my information pamphlets etc, (Confirmation of booking) it says "Partners and your own children may visit at any time between 8am & 9pm"
    So he can't stay? This is one thing that's very important to me!!
    I also was after a natural waterbirth in the family birthing centre.. obviously if everything goes according to plan. I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone about where I'll be birthing nor how? I may be getting ahead of myself, but I guess I just don't want to miss out if it needs to be booked or whatever. Or is all thi discussed at my first midwife appt at the hospital? I know that in the family birthing centre they give you a double bed, your partner can stay etc etc, but do I need to book this or?
    Sorry for the essay?! would really appreciate any answers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We we did a tour when I was 8 weeks pregnant it was made clear that the Family Birthing Centre booked out quickly and other couples were booking that day. I would suggest you call and book and yes, my understanding was that partners could stay in the FBC.

I ended up choosing to birth in their main birthing suites as I wanted a longer stay than 24 hours but the idea of a waterbirth appeals so I'd be looking at the FBC next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks loveabub! appreciate it. so if you happen to birth anywhere other than the fbc, your partner can't stay? grrrr

Thanks
    Reviews
    my friend was booked to go into the fbc and her waters broke two days early and they wouldnt let her in there!... you cant even get a coffee if youre not in the fbc. we had to search around for someone to bring us some water!

Thanks
    Reviews
    ohhh god... well that's what I mean?! what are the odds that the day you book for is the day you give birth? i really dont understand, & I want my partner to stay with me. really dont think it's right he can be kicked out at a certain time.. he is the dad!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There aren't many places where ur partner can stay.
    If u really want to waterbirth you have a greater chance at Birralee. You can go through the normal midwife program and as long as there is someone qualified on at the time you can birth in the bath. I had ds2 there and Df was there till really late. They never asked him to leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the mercy (in Heidelberg) they have 7 rooms with double beds and your partner can stay. There are a couple of things though to qualify for the room though:

It is first in best dressed, so you ask for it when you rock up in labour and if it's free once you've birthed you can have it.

You have to have a complication free birth (no epidural, forceps, vacuum, blood transfusion etc)

Your partner can't leave for the duration of the stay, or you will be moved to a regular room.

Your partner must be helping all the time, not just hanging around (eg has to help at night, be changing nappies, settling) - this is so that you can rest while you have the help.

It is a standard 48 hour stay I believe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the help! I didn't realize your partner can't stay at most places? I just really think it's wrong to be honest.. just my opinion. I feel most comfortable when he's around, & have a few anxiety problems, so would feel much MUCH more comfortable if he could stay.. I also live in the eastern suburbs, in lilydale, so angliss, & boxhill are really my only two options. I'd opt for a homebirth, but there's always that fear that something horrible will happen.. I worry alot  Thank you for your answers though, appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I hope you dont mind me asking a question in here too -

I'm wondering if anyone has been told of a weight restriction imposed by William Angliss? My SIL was told her BMI was too high (think it was 40 or 41) and that William Angliss wouldnt take her, that she had to go to Box Hill. She was told this by her Ob. As far as I know, she never rang the Angliss to confirm, just did as she was told and registered at Box Hill.

Has anyone else had this issue?

PS I totally agree with you re restrictions on partners - I think visation rules are fine, and for the benefit of all esp if in a shared room, but I think partners should be allowed to stay without restriction, providing they are quiet and respectful of others. I understand there isnt enough room for beds for all but if they are happy to sit in a chair then why should they be kicked out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was booked into the Angliss in Ferntree Gully, but my tour of the hospital and a bungled meeting with the midwives convined me to homebirth.

Only 2 of the 35 booked are lucky enough to have a private room and the option of a water birth.