+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoseKathleen is offline ...Yes - motherhood is a full-time job!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I stopped smacking DS when he was about 2.5 years old, and he began to smack me back. At that age he was still old enough to pick up and place in time out should he need it.

He is now four and has been smacked twice in the last 12 months. It didn't work either time. It just aggravated the situation and made him more angry - and his response was to turn around and smack me.

DD is an angel and hasn't needed smacking.

I am not anti-smacking. I believe you should have the right to smack your children, but so far in my parenting journey I have to say smacking hasn't worked for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This doesn't answer your question at all, but the other day I was talking to a friend who asked me if I've given my 9 MONTH OLD a smack yet Do people really do that????

I agree with PP in that I think it's appropriate to stop when other methods are more effective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    This doesn't answer your question at all, but the other day I was talking to a friend who asked me if I've given my 9 MONTH OLD a smack yet Do people really do that????
    Sadly I think they do As if a 9 month old would understand what you were even doing it for. Which leads to the question for people who smack, what age do you start?

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post

I agree with PP in that I think it's appropriate to stop when other methods are more effective.
    I remember smacking my DS at about that age - but it was a small hit on the back of his hand for touching power points (he had been crawling for over a month by that stage and was very curious) he soon moved on from power points to other options ..

I dont think that smacking is a good discipline option for kids that young - but for something like a safety situation it was a quick lesson .. and better a sting on the hand .. than a zap from the power socket ..

for the OP - I remember being slapped by my mum when I was about 15 .. but I'm pretty sure its because I called her a bi tch .. so it was probably deserved ... I certainly never called her that again - even when I went through phases of hating her. I think she slapped me more out of fright - I'd never used that word in front of her before .. never mind directing it AT her

I dont think a smack is appropriate for anyone who is over 10 ... because if they haven't learnt right from wrong by then .. I dont think a smack is of any help??? By that age I would certainly hope that a child could understand the concept of withdrawal of privileges ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Till they are big enough to punch your lights out?

Hmm, Never really smacked my DD. I tried to this year when she was 11, I whipped out the wooden spoon and smacked her with it a few times. To which she replied, "Yeah whatever, it doesn't even hurt" Which infuriated me even more, so I got a bucket of water and threw it on her......

I clearly missed my boat with smacking so I'd say around 11.
    Last edited by ThreePeasPlease; 10-08-2011 at 18:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    Sadly I think they do As if a 9 month old would understand what you were even doing it for. Which leads to the question for people who smack, what age do you start?
    My 9 month old would understand what was happening......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newmummaofbub View Post
    I would have guessed once the child has enough maturity to understand other consequences? Like a PP I would think once they can understand the reason for lost privileges etc then smacking is no longer appropriate? JMO though...
    Yes, there comes a point when the child is able to be reasoned/bargained with. Maybe school age.

My dad kicked me up the bum for throwing sand in my sisters eyes once. In my memory it is in slow motion and quite comical. It was a bit scary at the time though but my sister was being a PITA so it was worth it.

My mum smacked me with the wooden spoon once which broke when it made contact and made us all fall about laughing...except my mum.
    Last edited by Stiflers Mom; 18-08-2011 at 17:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that when they are likely to smack back is a good time to stop. I remember when my Mum smacked my sister when she was about 13 and my sister hit her back. Mum never smacked any of us again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's quite sad actually, stop hitting then when they hit back????? What cause they are old enough to finally defend themselves ? Sorry I'm so anti smacking and really hitting a 9 month old, I could not physically harm my baby under any circumstance so my answer OP don't start so you won't need to stop!

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (11-08-2011),Benji  (10-08-2011),brogeybear  (10-08-2011),delirium  (10-08-2011),Gandalf  (10-08-2011),LotusMum  (12-08-2011),River Song  (10-08-2011),singlemumma82  (10-08-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't smack so I can't answer but thought I'd add that from what I've read there seems to be a general consensus amongst those in the know that smacking is ineffective before two and after six.

Also re those taps on the hand parents give infants to stop them touching things etc I stumbled upon some interesting info the other day
    Psychologists studied a group of sixteen fourteen-month-olds playing with their mothers. When one group of toddlers tried to grab a forbidden object, they received a slap on the hand; the other group of toddlers did not receive physical punishment. In follow-up studies of these children seven months later, the punished babies were found to be less skilled at exploring their environment.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bada For This Useful Post:

Benji  (10-08-2011),Gandalf  (10-08-2011)