+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF in United States - Better, Cheaper, Faster?

Hi Everyone

I am a total newbie to the bubhub and would love to hear comments from anyone who has considered or gone through IVF in the US given the strong Aussie Dollar. Some friends have recently gone through the process and have been raving about the lower cost, quality of care and service. They only had to go through a single cycle and their first single implantation was a success! They were also really happy with the breadth of tests offered before the first cycle which identified them as carriers for a serious genetic illness which they screened for before implanting embryos. It all sounds great in theory but they travel back and forth on business several times a year and I am concerned if it doesn't work out the first time what we do next? Airfares are cheap these days but surely it would be a hassle flying back and forth to LA and financially it will add up before long.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Jaime

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Jaime,
    I am not sure that it would be cheaper, even with the strong aussie dollar. I paid average $3000 out of pocket for each cycle. Flights and hotel alone would cost this much surely? That was 4 years ago though, maybe some one who has had IVF more recently could help. Good Luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babycake For This Useful Post:

jsommers75  (09-08-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    IVF is definately cheaper in australia. The biggest factor in this is that all the IVF drugs are on the PBS and are HIGHLY subsidized (for example a vial of gonal-f here is about $30 from a chemist but in America it would cost you well over $500).

An IVF cycle is about $7500 USD in the USA and then drug costs are on TOP of that which are usually close to $10,000.

There are some good clinics in the USA (www.haveababy.com) who use the latest IVF technologies where they prescreen ALL embryos (a much more advanced version of PGD) which means they dont do fresh transfers as the testing takes a few weeks to complete. This then means they are only putting back 'competent embryos' (25% of day 5 embies are actually genetically faulty so on a normal IVF cycle with day 5 embies 1 in 4 will end in m/c) so their success rates are around 70% which is much higher than any clinic in Australia. It also means after all that heartache and money you will not be left in the end with a baby with some sort of genetic defect (not trying to imply that this is a bad thing or that some people wouldnt be happy with this - but I have been there and never want to go there again). No need for downs screening etc - you can just enjoy your pregnancy.

However as it does take several weeks for tx to occur you would either need to stay in the USA for that period ($$$ if you dont have someone to stay with) or fly over seperatly for each part of the cycle (has it's own expense).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EarthAngel75 For This Useful Post:

jsommers75  (09-08-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in the US and am getting ready to start my 3rd stim cycle (cornual ectopic with #1 and DD with #2). I can tell you from my experiences that EarthAngel75 is right on. Testing and certain methods that have proven to work are very common here, but it is most definitely more expensive. Even if you have someone to stay with, which you would almost have to do, you can expect to spend a minimum of $15,000 just for IVF and then travel on top of that. Now, there are clinics who give price breaks to people who pay cash for a cycle but they're not as easy to find. I know of one in Dallas that has really good success rates and it would only cost about $10,000 but that's only if you don't need any additional testing or surgeries (I've had many). The quality of care is amazing at my clinic. I see the doctor every time I go in, he even does my sonograms. But that's not always the case for other clinics. Every clinic does things differently. I'd be happy to dialog with you and help you how ever I could if you decided to look into the option further. Just let me know if you start getting serious.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF in United States - Better, Cheaper, Faster?

Where in Australia are u currently?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IVF at RPA in Sydney was around $1500 per cycle out of pocket. You have to go through the public system and the waiting and service that entails. Which, considering the cost, I thought was pretty good.

I went to Genea at first which is the same doctors and labs as RPA only private (so no waiting list/nicer private rooms/more nurses, scans, open weekends etc). That was $5000 per cycle.

I think its probably more down to the individual than the clinic if you get up the duff on the first go or not. I had to do it 4 times as my eggs are crappola. Anyway, good luck!