+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default toddler wont brush teeth HELP!!!

We are ahving enormous trouble getting DS 2years old to brush his teeth we have tried doing ours at same time, doing it whilst he is distracted by TV getting him a flashing brush for something different the most he does is brush his tounge then throws brush on floor I have resorted to holding him down and using a finger mit just to go over them and he struggles and bites. I made his gums bleed when I wasn't even rubbing hard! I am going insane with what to do and ideas would be great!!!!!! I am so worried about his teeth and what not brushing will do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I forced my girls for months. Yeah, I held them down. Could you get some herbal toothpaste to entice him? My girls will happily let mw brush their teeth if there is toothpaste on it. I also let them brush their own teeth with their old brushes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

adelaideannie  (02-08-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yup DD (19 months) wont let me brush her's either.

I pretty much force her lol she tries to turn her head away from me and I just keep stuffing the brush into her mouth (ie: all over her face lol)

I even tried toothpaste to entice her (baby toothpaste) but that just ends up spread all over her face. I tried letting her do it herself but she just wants to brush everything BUT her teeth and after she cleans the bathroom tiles and various other places, im not too keen on it being in her mouth so I keep throwing them out and buying a new one. I tried letting her watch me do mine but instead she wanted to take mine and again clean the bathroom tiles with it!

So now we have two big ones that she keeps in her toy box and i figure if she chews on them a few times a day, its gotta be helping.

Also I give her an apple to eat (whole) as ive heard somewhere that eating an apple is good for your teeth (she doesnt do this every day though).

And in the bath, I let her chew/suck on the facewasher. it is gross yes, but she also fills her toys and drinks the bathwater (much to my objection!)

Sorry, no real advice but I feel your pain!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FloatingFairy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm dreading this happening. I've heard of people having great success with inventing a playful way of brushing that captures the Toddler's imagination. Have you read "Playful Parenting" by Lawrence Cohen? I'd highly recommend! Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We sing 'you brush ya teeth ch ch ch ch ch ch you brush ya teeth ch ch ch ch ch ch' song. Lol. Complete with the super cute bum dance.

I give Jasper the tooth brush with a tiny bit of kids tooth paste and let him play with it, bite it (we go through lots of tooth brushes) as long as I get a quick go at his back molars I figure creating a positive fun routine around teeth brushing day & night is more important than doing it 'right' if that makes sense.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We sing that song too boobychino lol

Dds only 14 mnths but she has her own toothbrush she brushes her teeth( hair and carpet)with .

I give it to her while I'm doing mine (as she's just started trying to copy everything I do)

Have you tried an electric toothbrush or the kids paste that taste like bubble gum?

DD LOVES my electric toothbrush. You can also clean their teeth super quick with one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewTheEmu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our 2.5 year old DD is the same. We tried brushing her teeth for her, but she just kicks, screams and bites.
    We went and brought her a Dora & Diego electric toothbrush. She makes the buzz noise and puts it in her mouth. But if I put toothpaste on it she starts spitting it out.
    We still haven't got her to brush her teeth properly, but we keep trying everyday.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cromo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Jasper would probably love an electric one. But while he chews them it would be too expensive!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys for the advice thus far! We use the childrens tooth paste that doesnot help and also brush without it that does not help!! Am glad I am not the only one having problems! Will buy an electric one maybe! MMM may not try the singing my voice is soooooo bad may make DS gag if he has his brush in his mouth LOL!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I try to make it fun. I've got DD a dinosaur toothbrush at the moment (the dinosaur head is a toothbrush cover) and we make her "grrrrr" to get the fronts and side teeth, and "rarrrr" to get the inside and back teeth.