+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Circumcision Experience- Melbourne/VIC

Hi There

I am in Melbourne. My partner is circumcised and I must admit, after seeing my sister's experience with an uncircumcised son, I am looking seriously at this myself.

I saw a video of one using a plastibell, and the baby was 2 weeks, and they used EMLA and lignocaine injection. The baby had minimal (I was surprised) discomfort, but of the only doctor I know of in Melbourne using the plastibell, he does not use lignocaine. I am scared that the EMLA is not enough.

Is there anyone in Melbourne who can help me out with telling me of a positive experience or good circumcision doctor?

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my son had the ELMA cream and I wasnt there when it happened, I walked out of the doctors surgery but when I got back 10 minutes later he was screaming like someone nearly killed him. It took him over an hour to calm down and that was with me trying to breastfeed him. To be honest I dont think it was effective and after seeing him go through that and seeing him in pain for a week I wont be circumcising my next if its a boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My little boy ws circumcised when he was a week old and we had absolutely no problems at all with it. The Dr who circumcised him was Lionel Steinberg at St. Vincent's Private. Lionel had snipped our daughter's tongue tie when she was a week old and we had no problems with that, so we were very confident when we went back to see him about circumcising Dane. He wasn't my Ob by the way - my Ob wouldn't circumcise.
    Anyway, Lionel didn't use a Plastibell. I left while he did the procedure and he brought him out to me bout 15 mins later and I can honestly say that Dane was very calm and relaxed by that stage.
    We had to give him short salt baths every two days for a week and put Vaseline and gauze on the wound every time we changed his nappy. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The worst part was taking the original dressing off that Lionel had put on. I was lucky that I was staying at my mum's place and a friend of her's who was a midwife, was visiting. She gave Dane a bath and took the dressing off for me.
    We went back to see Lionel two weeks after it had been done and all was good. Dane has a very healthy and lovely looking little willy and we've had no problems at all since the procedure. Lionel told me he has done about 6000 circumcisions, so he knows what he's doing!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default circumcision technique

I've never liked the plastibell because it removes most of the inner layer of the foreskin, which is sensitive, erogenous tissue. The traditional method on the other hand, turns the inner foreskin back. Did your doctor preserve much of the inner foreskin ? (ie leave a collar of pinkish skin around the base of the head) ? It disappoints me that this aspect of plastibell circumcision is never discussed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank you so far....

Mummy2luca- Thank you very much for your honesty. My daughter has had the emla used when she has had injections as she is a fitter and fainter, and it has provided little relief... so I didn't know how this could be effective for a circumcision. Im sorry you had that experience and I am glad I am asking questions about this...

Siansmum- Thanks for the reference, I had not heard of him, so will definitely investigate. From what you are saying it was the more traditional method... did they use anaesthetic at all?

Moggy- Thanks for bringing this up- from what you are saying by using the plastibell it would remove the sensitivity of the penis as well as the foreskin.

This is such a huge decision and I really appreciate all your opinions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I would say thanks and let you know we have found a urologist and will have it done at 6 months under general anaesthetic. It will be about $700 out of pocket, but I know I will be more comfortable with this type of anaesthesia.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Circumcise 7yo

Just wanting to followup with the circumcision of your child under full anaesthetic with the urologist - hopefully you are still on this post. Our boy has never pulled back his skin it is very tight and I feel needs a little snip to get it over.