+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    **pregnancy mentioned**

Hi Trying To Get By, I've been meaning to respond to your post for a long time now. I knew my response would be a long and tricky one hence my procrastination!

I have had three IVF cycles with my eggs.

IVF #1 - most embies were fragmented on day three. None made it to day five.
    IVF#2 - most embies were fragmented on day three. One made it to day five but was only showing signs of becoming a blast. It didn't stick.
    IVF#3 - Only one egg fertilised, we opted for a day two transfer. It didn't stick.

We are with Genea and see Simone Campbell. She advised us to start thinking about donor eggs after our first cycle. Initially I was upset. I am now so grateful for her honesty. So many ladies continue to try with their own eggs - for years. My husband and I decided that we didn't want to stay on the infertility road for long. After our second failed attempt we decided to have a break. I took a lot of different supplements and had acupuncture. I think we both knew that IVF #3 wouldn't work but it was a psychological thing for us - we wanted to know that we had done everything we could have to conceive a biological child.

I don't think that there has been much research into how to increase egg quality - I get the feeling that it can't be increased. Simone allowed us to try what we wanted. I wouldn't say that she encouraged us to better our egg quality as I think she knew that it just wouldn't happen. She was always honest with us. She told me that we were dealing with significantly bad eggs. It hurt, but I needed to hear it. Part of her job was (and still is) to manage my expectations.

I found out I was pregant last week - with donor eggs from my SIL. If Simone hadn't of been upfront with us then we would still be trying with our own eggs and who knows how long it would have taken us to fall pregnant - if at all.

Again, I am so grateful for her honesty.
    Last edited by Rittzy; 04-08-2012 at 17:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Reading back through this old thread, it's really good to hear that people are generally happy with Genea. My doctor (Steve Robson) recently ceased doing IVF at CFC and is now working though Genea and we are meeting with him soon to talk about IVF options. Due to cost considerations we may end up using Westmead in Sydney but it's good to see some opinions about the Genea option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone using Canberra fertility centre or SIVF Canberra

Yup Steve Robson is leaving canberra fertility centre to go to Genea.

I've talked to two people who left CFC to go to genea, a lot of the more difficult cases seem to end up at Genea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I overheard 2 staff talking at CFC (when I had my legs up in the air after IUI!) and they said 6 patients have transferred their frosties to Genea so far and they assume there will be more. I would love to go with Genea, they have the best stats for older women, but we would need to win Lotto to do so.

I hope we hear back from someone that has transferred, that can give us a more recent comparison.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I transferred from Isis to Genea last year (poor egg quality and not many of them, and Isis said after 2 failed ICSI rounds that there was nothing more they could do for me (read: you're trashing our stats)). So glad I transferred. I wanted to be sure that if we had to stop, we have done everything we can. I was with Simone Campbell, who ordered a battery of tests to rule things out, tweaked some medication, and went IVF instead of ICSI, and we ended up with one absolutely perfect embryo, which unfortunately didn't stick the landing. Still, it was the best result we have had to date and we'll give it another try next month. Fertility treatment is such a developing science, but at the end of the day, you want to be sure you've done everything you could have done so you don't have any regrets later on. I like Genea's approach to things (very professional) and have recommended them to others.

---
    Me 41, him 36
    2 x failed ICSI rounds in 2012 (only one fragmented embryo produced)
    1 IVF round (one perfect embryo)
    Still hopeful, but time running out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trying to get by For This Useful Post:

Twocam  (10-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Trying To Get By. I hadn't actually thought of it that way - "you want to be sure you've done everything you could". And it's so true! We have a self-imposed deadline so that we don't get sucked into a neverending process of trying. But by thinking mostly about how expensive Genea is I think sometimes I have been losing sight of the 'best chance' factor. I'm also 41yo so I know that feeling that time is running out. Thanks for your post, best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

I think genea also have the new whiz bang embryo culture now which is said to increase results.

I know genea is expensive but after the rebate, it might not be significantly more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, they do. Now kicking myself for saying no when they asked if I wanted to take part in the trial: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/par...-1226573884167

Costwise, it's all much of a muchness, I think. Slightly more expensive than other clinics (around $500 extra out of pocket, possibly more depending what procedures and drugs you need) but I think they are more professional than my previous clinic and you get a better sense of progress with the regular ultrasounds.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi my SIL needs a referral to see a Canberra FS. What happened to Simone Campbell? her website says her rooms are on Brisbane now? Did she move? Are any of you with Felicity Brims at Genea?

Thanks
    Reviews

Simons has now left and Steve Robson is the new dr at Genea with Tween Low, he's meant to be really good.