+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Midwifery at Griffith, UQ or ACU - Past and current student comments

Hi All

I am considering studying Bachelor of Midwifery at either Griffith, UQ or ACU next year.

However, i am confused as to which is a better course / uni. I would love to do the course at UQ but with 2 young children (21 months and 12 weeks) i think it might be quite hard work and i'm not sure if i'm willing to give up not seeing much of kids for 2 1/2 years...although if anyone has or is studying there could you let me know how you are coping with the course and motherhood?

If anyone else is studying Midwifery at Griffith or ACU could you please write your comments both positive and negative, hopefully you can help me make the right choice.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Lucy

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey Lucy

I'm also wanting to apply to uni in Brisbane to do midwifery but i don't know which uni is better. I came across this thread while googling which uni would be better. I would prefer to go to a uni that is more hands on with the learning. I went to JCU in Townsville for a semester but didn't like it there at all because all you did was go to lectures and they only did hands on learning at the end of the semester for a week. I have been trying to find out peoples opinions on what was a better uni in terms of learning hands on but i cant seem to find any info at all.

Since midwifery is highly competitive i was wondering what bridging subjects i could do to improve my chances of getting in (I'm a mature aged student). If anyone could give me any information that would be highly apprecitated. thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi, I was doing midwifery at Griffith but have stopped for now because it was too difficult to arrange care for DD. It is a good program with very supportive lecturers. Unfortunately I got placed at Redland hospital even though I live 5-10 min from Logan which made travel time hard but Redland was a great hospital for prac.
    Hardest bit for me was organizing care for DD around the women we followed through pregnancy & birth. Appointments are only done two weeks in advance often and you have to be available for them and the birth which meant DH or my mum had to take a day off work. Too hard to organise day care as schedule is very random. But I'm guessing that would be same situation no matter what hospital or uni.
    I was studying part time which reduced the workload but I found i got very 'out of the loop' with the course and other students, and got put in some bad situations at appointments & births where I was expected to do the skills the full timers had learnt in class that I missed out on as a part timer. I think they may have fixed that stuff up somewhat now as I was in the first year that allowed part timers.
    Griffith does their on campus stuff in two week intensives at the beginning of each semester, rest is online learning, the women you are following and two shifts per week at the hospital from Sem 2 if you're full time. I think it's two shifts per week. Midwifery also doesn't follow traditional uni semester dates, the semesters are longer. Its a very intense schedule and workload in comparison to other degrees.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

Also think about what suburb you live in vs what hospitals each uni has their links with. Griffith is Redland, Logan & Gold Coast and some further out hosps like Toowoomba for those who live further away.

If you have the family support or daycare available for your kids I would def recommend Griffith.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hang on, just saw this thread was started in 2011! How are you going with your studies?