+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    HI Ladies,

Back again with some more questions. Maybe not questions, just reassurance.

I phoned Masada a couple of months ago (DD is now almost 9 months and still waking more times during the night than sleeping), she is always sick and very miserable during the day, so I know something needs to be done. I am also at my wits end and have gotten to the point where I am so sleep deprived that i am beginning to resent being a MUm. THen I feel guilty for even feeling like this because we have worked so hard to have our precious little girl.

So anyway, apparently being sleep deprived makes you ramble on, SORRY. I need some reassurance that I am doing the right thing by going along to this school. I get so nervous and sick to my gut that I am going to break her spirit and she's going to resent me if I take her along to this sleep clinic, because I won't be there for her during the night to feed her and give her what she wants/needs who knows which one. I try the shush pat method and she screams and screams. They get louder and hysterical. I cuddle her and she still screams and cries. This scares me that she'll just do this all night long and then in essence she's been crying it out which I am dead set against.

Do I make any sense??? I am sorry if I am not. I am just so nervous about filling out these forms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    anyone out there????

Thanks
    Reviews

Default My Sleep School Experience-A Must read for all frustrated mums

Hi Ezzi, I didn't catch your earlier post, sorry. I think it's great that you are considering a sleep school. I took my then 9 month old son to one in Brisbane and he has been a great sleeper ever since.
    I have nothing but positive things to say about it, as it worked for us and he is such a happy little guy and it didn't 'break his spirit'.
    They give you the confidence to interpret correctly the different cries - protest or upset etc -and show you tired signs that you may not pick up on.
    It may be tough for you but I think you have to give it a go, or nothing will change!! Honestly, what have you got to lose? I say do it, and I hope it works for you guys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We have been to Masada twice! I have nothing but love for that place!

Prepare yourself as it will be harder for you than it will be for your DD.

On the first 2 days the nurses do all the sleep settling and encourage you to rest! It is harder than you would think! I think it is just tough to hear your baby cry or grizzle and not be the one to go in to them. My advice to you is really really try to rest on these first two days, take the sleeping pill they offer on those nights. They want you to rest up so that on day three you are somewhat recharged and ready to learn and practice the settling techniques yourself.

The work continues when you get home as you need to give them the same messages back in their home environment.

I will be emotional, tiring and hard but us so worth it for your whole family!

I can honestly say my DS is so much brighter and happier now that he gets good quality sleep and so are we.

Masada truly saved our family not only from exhaustion but from depression and the strain that was putting on my marriage.

Be assured that this is a good thing you are doing.

Making that phone call and asking for help is the hardest first step. It is however a step on the right direction!

Good luck!

Oh I also recommend you start a FB group with the mums you meet there. You will be an amazing support to each other in the first couple of weeks back home! During a period of settling it is good to know there are others out there going through the same thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by foggy View Post
    Hi Ezzi, I didn't catch your earlier post, sorry. I think it's great that you are considering a sleep school. I took my then 9 month old son to one in Brisbane and he has been a great sleeper ever since.
    I have nothing but positive things to say about it, as it worked for us and he is such a happy little guy and it didn't 'break his spirit'.
    They give you the confidence to interpret correctly the different cries - protest or upset etc -and show you tired signs that you may not pick up on.
    It may be tough for you but I think you have to give it a go, or nothing will change!! Honestly, what have you got to lose? I say do it, and I hope it works for you guys
    Hi Foggy, can you tell me which sleep school you went to in Brisbane? I am also in Brisbane.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews

Albert01 - I went to Ellen Barron, in the grounds of the Prince Charles Hospital, Chermside

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Juzz View Post
    Consistency and routine is the key here. As you put bubs down its a matter of fact kiss/cuddle and "Time for Sleep' and out the room. At the start this didn't work, so once you would have to resettle you go back in, "Time for sleep" (& effectively these are the only words you know say to bubs till asleep - no other talking), then you use their patting technique which effectively has three phases/cues for bub... First is firm, two hatted patting on their shoulder and back to calm them down saying 'shh, shh' (quite loudly....), then once they have calmed, one had remains flat on their back, the other still pats & "shh shh), then once they've gone quiet, take the patting hand away so just one hand on bubs back & "shh shh" and after a couple of mins, out the room again. The phased patting is effectively giving bubs the cues that I'm here, but patting will will be over soon, etc as opposed to just simply stopping... Also once you have moved to the next phase of patting, you can't go back to a previous phase, Complete the cycle, leave the room, Then come back in and start again if you have too... Under six months they only them cry for two mins, over six months, its for 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 mins, then back to 2, etc... The advise no eye contact, no talking apart from time for sleep (which I still use on my two year old!)
    Thanks very much for this. I'd like to try it.

Just one question. How do you pat the baby on the back, especially if they are wrapped and under a blanket? Are you supposed to get them out of bed, sit them up, or just roll them over slightly?? Does anyone know?

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Roll them to their side slightly to pat is what I was taught at Ellen Barron.
    good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Toomanyboys View Post
    Roll them to their side slightly to pat is what I was taught at Ellen Barron.
    good luck!
    Thanks Toomanyboys. A couple more questions about the Masada sleep program. Is 1 month too young to try this technique? And how many days of perseverance is it supposed to take to start to see results?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews

I think Masada take them from 6weeks old but modify their response times for these very little ones.

Their program goes for 5 nights and then they say it can take another 2 or 3 weeks of consistent routine when back at home to really make the learnings stick. However every baby is different so could click sooner or later. You generally see results by day 3 some sooner, some later. However for complete results that stick it really is about long term consistency and predictability for your baby.