+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I also went to Masada July last year. I loved it, they saved my sanity, I didn't want to leave. My son was a different baby once we left. The nurses are angels. I was covered completely so no out of pocket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberrybigm View Post
    Were there any mums at Masada with twins- my boys and I are booked in for the 5 nights from the 30th of this month?
    Hi, yes there was one lady there with 8 month old twins and she seemed to also get good results. Good luck, you won't know yourself post Masada!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also went to Masada and they saved our little families sanity! My DS is now a great little self settler, I am grateful to the midwives there everyday!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it hard to get into these schools? I have a 6 month old who wakes hourly or less and only wants a feed to put her back to sleep. Needless to say I am just a tad desperate for some sleep. So is she. I don't want to let her cry it out or do controlled crying. What methods do they use? Are they calming natural ones?

Thanks for the info xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    call them and discuss your situation, they prioritise desperate cases.
    Masada Mother Baby Unit

It is part of a private hospital, so if you have hospital cover with your private health insurance you should be completely covered, we were.

They will send you a questionnaire and a referral form to get your Dr to sign.

The questionnaire covers things like how many hours in 24 your baby is sleeping, how much sleep you are getting, PND, feeding habits of baby etc....this helps them prioritise those who are really needing help fast.

good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I great thread. My DD was born 6 weeks early so was in premie room until lungs fully developed. To watch them handle her and settle her was fantastic. It made my life so much easier when she came home 8 days later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ezzie84 View Post
    What methods do they use? Are they calming natural ones?
    they use what i guess is an evolution of CC...where you follow a consistent bedtime routine, then allow them a few mins to put themselves to sleep before going in an assisting them.

I should add though that I found them to be open to modifying this to suit what you are comfortable with, you just have to be clear with them at the start what your goals are and any limits or boundaries you want to set. There were families there when I was there who co-slept and didn't want that to change and there was no pressure on them to do so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post
    they use what i guess is an evolution of CC...where you follow a consistent bedtime routine, then allow them a few mins to put themselves to sleep before going in an assisting them.

I should add though that I found them to be open to modifying this to suit what you are comfortable with, you just have to be clear with them at the start what your goals are and any limits or boundaries you want to set. There were families there when I was there who co-slept and didn't want that to change and there was no pressure on them to do so.
    So what do they advise to do when you go back into assist them? Do you sit with them, put your hand on them, pat them, rock their body? Pick them up? How long do you do it for? Until they sleep or do you keep going back in?

Also, do they advise wrapping the baby? My bubs is already rolling over and can't be wrapped.

My bubs self settles at night but can't during the day for some reason. Did they advise anything about catnapping?

Sorry for all the questions. The only thing like that they have in Adelaide is Torrens House, but they just follow all the text book things (watch for tired signs, wrap the baby and pat them to sleep) I already know those things and have tried them but they don't work for my bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    So what do they advise to do when you go back into assist them?
    Consistency and routine is the key here. As you put bubs down its a matter of fact kiss/cuddle and "Time for Sleep' and out the room. At the start this didn't work, so once you would have to resettle you go back in, "Time for sleep" (& effectively these are the only words you know say to bubs till asleep - no other talking), then you use their patting technique which effectively has three phases/cues for bub... First is firm, two hatted patting on their shoulder and back to calm them down saying 'shh, shh' (quite loudly....), then once they have calmed, one had remains flat on their back, the other still pats & "shh shh), then once they've gone quiet, take the patting hand away so just one hand on bubs back & "shh shh" and after a couple of mins, out the room again. The phased patting is effectively giving bubs the cues that I'm here, but patting will will be over soon, etc as opposed to just simply stopping... Also once you have moved to the next phase of patting, you can't go back to a previous phase, Complete the cycle, leave the room, Then come back in and start again if you have too... Under six months they only them cry for two mins, over six months, its for 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 mins, then back to 2, etc... The advise no eye contact, no talking apart from time for sleep (which I still use on my two year old!)
    Also, do they advise wrapping the baby?
    Up until bubs can roll, then they move to a ssleeping bag and use a single bed sheet, folded down, to work as a firm top sheet, so they still have a secure feeling around them

Did they advise anything about catnapping?
    They strongly subscribe to 'sleep promotes sleep' and their program is very routine based. If bubs wakes after a sleep cycle, you revert to the patting, shhing, etc to get them back to sleep. I can't remember ther exact time frames as it was 1.5 years ago for me but it was something like a minimum of 1.5 hours cot time if they have woken too early... Hopefully someone else can explain this a bit better....

Consistency really is the key and they worked miracles for us... Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Juzz View Post
    I can't remember ther exact time frames as it was 1.5 years ago for me but it was something like a minimum of 1.5 hours cot time if they have woken too early...
    Age /~Feeds /wake time /sleeps
    0-8mwks /6-8 /1-1.5hrs /between feeds
    8-12wks /6 /1-1.5hrs /between feeds
    3-6month /5-6 /1-2hrs /3
    6m /4-5 /1.5-2hrs /2 + catnap (30min)
    7-9month /4 /2-2.5hrs /2 +optional catnap(9mon)
    9-12month /3 /2.5-3hrs /2

up untill 4months they suggest you aim for 2hrs cot time at each day sleep after that 1.5hrs except for the catnap which is only 1 sleep cycle 20min-1hr depending on the baby.