+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My Sleep School Experience-A Must read for all frustrated mums

I was just scrolling through this forum and reading things about babies being unsettled, cluster feeding, waking at night etc etc and thought it was time I shares my experience.
    My son was good for first few weeks then things went crazy, he was a snack feeder he would feed every 2 hours and would not take more than 60ml each feed, his sleeps during the day were non existent where he would only sleep 30 mins then wake up. Between 5pm and 7pm he grizzled slot and just wanted to be carried. During the day he hated lying down and playing.
    I was exhausted and frustrated and taking things out on my eldest child so after listening to a friends suggestion I put my name down for Masada mother baby unit in st kilda.
    It was the BEST thing I ever did. Within 2 weeks we were sitting around a table on a Sunday evening with other exhausted mums, ready for our 5 nights. The first 2 days and nights the staff do all the settling and monitor the babies. Gives you time to rest and the option of sleeping pills for a few good night sleep. The nurses talk in detail to you about your health and your baby and everyone is checked out by an on site dr. On day 3 my little man was doing better with his feeds and getting there with sleep and head nurse cane to me and discussed starting him on losac for reflux because it was not just behavioral with him there was an underlying issue causing his snack feeding and bursts of crying. Oh my god my child had reflux and I didn't even know! And if j didn't go to Masada I would never know. Transformation was amazing almost instantly. He now smashes 180ml bottles no problem every 4 or so hours. He doesn't require overnight feeds only a dream feed at about 11pm. He is in bed by 7.30 and I don't hear a peep from him until 7:30 or 8am at the latest when I have to wake him. The change is amazing. He is learning to self settle
    It's not a centre that does control crying. Actually the opposite. We were not allowed to let them cry longer than 2 minutes then we would go in and pat and help settle. The crying changed to grizzling by day 3 and on day 5 ALL babies leaving were completely different. A lovely nurse told me the best thing and I tell myself every day! The best gift we can give the babies is the gift of sleep. We teach them how to sleep and how to link their sleep cycles.my little one is so happy and playful for awake time and so much more content. I can honestly say all mums should experience Masada sleep school at least once. I wish I had with my first rather than just stumbling through.my first is still a bad sleeper. The support you will receive is fantastic, the staff are just gorgeous and all have kids of their own, and honestly they know exactly what they are doing with all their years of studying children and development. I now know so much more and am so confident that even as my baby grows I will give him the best chance at everything because he will be well rested. If you have any questions I'm more than happy to help

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tali81 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (09-04-2012),insanity  (23-07-2011),Minkie  (23-07-2011),Mom2TwoDSs  (26-01-2013),NanG  (26-07-2011),rubymargaret  (30-12-2012),selflessparenting  (28-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So glad you wrote this! I am booked in to go on Monday to karitane (nsw) and have been quite worried about the unknown. Hoping I walk away from it as satisfied as you are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck Tasha I'm sure you will walk away with more confidence. Even though I was a mum already and read books etc with the first, it wasn't ti I went to sleep school that I recognized a grizzle vs a cry. I think that's the key! Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tali81 For This Useful Post:

insanity  (23-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds fantastic, thank you for sharing! It's incredible that pre birth we have classes for feeding and labour etc but nothing about sleeping and settling, and in the hospital the midwives are so focussed on feeding but nobody even talks about sleep...and it's such a big part of parenting and a persons life!! Can I ask, does it cost anything to go to this sleep school? Is it public or private?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to X'sMum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm another who was at Masada earlier this year and agree - it has been life changing for us! I so hate it when I see all 'sleep schools' generalized as being horrible places - Masada definitely isn't and I encourage anyone in Melb (with health insurance..) who is having difficulties with their bubs sleep/feeding to seek Masadas help - I put my baby's poor feeding/sleeping down to a phase/wonder week/teeth/age for way too long!!! Since Masada four months ago, we don't have any issues with - a phase/wonder week/teeth/age, etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
    Do you need private cover for mum and bub? I only have hospital and extras for me, not dd or dh- they have ambulance only.
    Sorry to hear of your terrible nights.... It's bubs that is admitted to Masada (& Mum is just accompanying them) so I'm pretty sure your DD would need to be covered under your policy.....sorry... Maybe double check with Masada though. Good luck, hope the sleeping improves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    at karitane in nsw I paid $123 to cover my boarding and food for the week and Bubs is covered under medicare. Ppl are here under private funds so I presume they haven't paid anything not too sure

Is there a website for them? That might have all the info, if not I would just call them and ask

Thanks
    Reviews
    Masada is a private hospital in st Kilda.they will take you even if you don't have cover but will need to pay I think around $4000. If mum has hospital but not baby they usually admit the mum and the baby tags along. I was lucky I was not out of pocket a cent as I am with HCF and you pay no excess for children admitted. I really can't stress how amazing it is. They have diagnosed formula intolerance on a friends baby and prescribed the right stuff. For both of us it's been 2 months and as a previous poster said all the changes and developments won't affect routine. Best to ring them and honestly if your baby becomes a good sleeper still go because they will change to a **** sleeper again. It really is something that all mums should do. You will learn so much. And will teach your baby to self settle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Flaneur yes you can take the sleeping pill the dr talks to you when to take it so it won't affect feeding. By the way I forgot to say it's amazing how you think your baby still needs overnight feeds. They are usually stopped when baby doubles birthweight and dreamfeeds stopped when they on solids and having 3 meals-so about 8-9 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Were there any mums at Masada with twins- my boys and I are booked in for the 5 nights from the 30th of this month?