+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I have a 4 yr old son,

I totally agree with you....
    Why does everything have to be an argument, same thing everyday. Eat your breakfast, get dressed, go to the toilet, get in the car, leave your brother alone, share your toys.....

I am so over it, some days I just wanna ****** or cry and yeah some days i do....

I am currently trying something new, i also have a 2 yr boy also who is trying the same stuff so now I eat my breaky with them (as i always have) but now when i am done i leave them at the table and clean the kitchen or find something to do in the general area, some days it works and other days not so much....

As for getting dressed I have a lazy 4 yr old so I say to his you have three seconds and if you are not here you will dress yourself and if that doesn't work I dress my other son, then head for the door. (whether i am going out or not) he usually grabs his clothes and says you do it....

As for getting in the car the other day it was raining and as usual he wouldn't listen and was playing in the trailer, so i started the car he just looked at me so I reversed out of the driveway (just enough so he didn't have to go near the road), and imagine that the tears started and he was all for getting in the car....

For everything else bedroom door closed for 4 mins (or until i calm down) then i ask if he is ready to listen or play nice, if no answer or attitude, on his bed and close the door (another 4 mins), until he says sorry, it works but why does it have to come to this every day?????? I love him so much and hate yelling or getting angry with him, but mate please listen...

One day he may listen (i would be shocked)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey I've been having huge problems with kids not listening i found this information on this page very helpful http://anaussiemumsdiary.com/coping-with-tantrums/

Fiona

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS went (and is still at times) going through this. After weeks/months of grief/yelling/frustration/time-out/tantrums etc I started concentrating on being incredibly positive and using a reward...I mean finding praise and positivity in even the tiniest thing, almost going over board to start with, such as "oh I love that you used your manners" and put a star/sticker on the chart. Allow her to choose a reward at the beginning, something small and make it achievable..ie if she gets 10stars. Don't take stars off for bad behaviour and try to ignore the annoyances and look hard for the good things. I found this worked really well and also helped me to see that there was good behaviour in amongst the annoying stuff. I kept this up until I started seeing better behaviour and gradually the little things weren't rewarded as much.

I still sometimes have to go back to this system when his behaviour slips, but it still works

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol I could have written this about my 4yo ds who will argue about everything ...

Ds : can we play outside?
    Me: no its raining
    Ds: no its not
    Me: yes it is
    Ds : no its sunny
    Me : (take him to the wi Dow) see that water running down the window that is rain
    Ds: no its not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here we have hit the terrible six!!

Tried so many different ways and nothing is long lasting.

We go over and over it and dd will say ok mum i promise to follow the rules and then 2 minutes later she is doing the same thing.

Shes stubborn and diesnt care if she gets punished and if you take things off her or dont give her what she wants she will scream the house down and eventually will start to hit, pinch, push.

However she was a complete angel untill 4/5 yr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Going to go cry myself to sleep because clearly the terrible 2's don't stop once they turn 3. Lol

I call it selective hearing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really wish I hadn't read this thread...! The future does not look good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree with PP's - terrible 2's, trying 3's...F***ing fours...enough said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sooo funny cause it never gets better until they leave home and then they still might come back.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm trying to embrace the madness and stay calm.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by confusd View Post
    She is driving me INSANE!!!! She does not listen to ANYTHING i say. Im constantly repeating myself over and over. Then i get angry and raise my voice and all she says is "dont yell at me!!!!!" She still doesnt pay any attention to what i have said she just knows i got louder.
    Im so sick of it!!!! I ended up giving her a smack the other day and she just gave me a filthy look and said to me in a nasty tone of voice: "Dont you smack me!"

So now when she is naughty i just put her in her room, and she sits in there and slams the door and yells. Then comes out says im sorry i didnt listen. THEN does the same thing over and over again!!

Im not asking much! Its always the same things; put your toys away, dont drop things on the floor, eat your breakfast, leave the dog alone, stop doing that ( usually encouraging the dog to eat her toys ) .

Im just over her attitude!
    Oh my god I thought I was the only one going through this! To give you a bit of hope it suddenly dawned on me yesterday that there have been far fewer arguments, me shouting, DD hitting, kicking, spitting 😳 and generally being an animal that moos 😜, since she turned 4 last month. I put a lot of the behavior down to DS arriving but I honestly don't think he was to blame at all. I thought I was failing as a mother, and my OH couldn't really understand what was going on as he wouldn't see the worst of it as he was at work all day. I was dreading these school holidays but she really has been ok. I think I've learnt too be more patient thought and can't shout as much because I'm usually holding or rocking DS. I tried the charts, taking things away, sending her to her room (she used to laugh at me which wound me up even more), then she'd say sorry, and half hour later it would start all over again. The one thing that helped us succeed and work through it all was the traffic light system they use at kindy. So she made a huge traffic light to go on the fridge and a sign with her name on it and if she was naughty the sign would move from green to orange and then red. She hated being on anything other than green, and it seemed to tip us over the finish line. It's still on the fridge just in case but rarely gets used.