User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vaporizers - do any NOT leave walls wet?

my son has just been diagnosed with asthma and we are having trouble stopping the cough thanks to the cold air - he hasn't had a full night sleep for weeks. A hot shower or bath does ease the cough, but a heater in his room does not, so I am considering a vaporizer

BUT I have heard they leave walls etc damp. He has a decorative wall quilt hanging above his bed, carpetted floors, curtains and a full bookshelf. Would a vaporizer leave all these things damp too? Doesn't that just lead to mould (and ruined walls/floors/books etc)?

Do any vaporizers not leave everything damp? Or any other recommendations?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our walls/furniture weren't damp to touch but the roof developed terrible mould directly above where our vicks vaporizer was sitting.

It worked wonders for both mine and DD's asthma but eventually I got sick of cleaning the mould every 2 days so I stopped using it - figured the mould wasn't helpful either.

I have heard other hubbers mention another brand but can't remember which one - hopefully they'll see this thread and let you know
    When your baby is all grown up will you really regret holding them so much, or regret not holding them more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use the Vicks one also, agree the walls and furniture dont seem damp to touch. I don't use it often enough to comment about mould. I always ensure overnight the door is kept slightly ajar so while closed enough to keep the warm vapor air in it's still letting a bit of fresh air in which I would think would keep any condensation problems away..??
    Me & DH ~ 32
    DD Alexis ~ 4 (14/10/07)
    DS Jamison ~ 2 (7/12/09)
    Pregnancy Diary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As long as I air the room during the day, I have no damp issues. I only saw water on the wall if it was cold and I did not use the heater.
    Dh and Me
    DS1 November 2007
    DS2 May 2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH echoes flicker's comments.
    His vapouriser was placed in the middle of the room on the floor. When he got up it was turned off, the door was closed and the windows opened to let the moisture escape. If it's raining you might need to do that the other way around, close windows and open door. He never had a problem with condensation or mould.

If you have condensation issues then either the vapouriser is set too high, or the room is too cold (which itself can aggravate asthma).

Other suggestions made by DH are to get a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter to regularly vacuum the carpet and curtains.
    Also to remove the soft wall hanging above DS bed.
    Lastly to make sure DS is using his preventer medication properly.

[Mod] SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Amethyst Star - 5,000 postsTopaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We have ours going pretty much constantly every winter since DD2 was born (she's now 5) and we've always cracked the window a little and have never had any issues with dampness or mould. It seems to warm the room as well so having the window or door cracked shouldn't make it cool.

Good luck, I hope it gives your little one some relief.

Sam
    DH Me
    DD1 DD2 DS DD3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we have a vicks one in each kids room for when they need it. tgey bith have decorarive quilt hangings amongst other stuff on the walls.
    the only thing that gets damp is the glass on the windows
    Me
    DH
    DD1 july 2007
    DD2 november 2010
    Bubba #3 due march 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    With some types of asthma a vapourizer doesn't help. Certainly with my dd it doesn't. Just FYI.

But we use it for dd2. Just air the room, put it in the middle if the room, etc and we haven't had a problem!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've got a Euky Bear vaporiser which leaves the windows a bit damp, but like PPs have said, it clears up when the room is aired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do use a dyson vacuum so it has the HEPA filter, and there is a heater in his room - do you leave the heater on as well as the vaporizer?