Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Kezty, I really recommend the movie Orgasmic Birth - you can find clips of it on youtube. I know the name is a little confronting, but it's more about the emotional state a woman is in during birth rather than an actual orgasm... I watched it while pregnant and it really helped me prepare.
    BreadRoll, your DW might like to have a look too She needs to do whatever she feels is best for her and bub, but natural birth isn't an emergency. It doesn't have to be painful. It can be totally blissful and the best high you've ever had in your life! During my DS's birth I kept saying to myself "This can't be it. This isn't hard enough. It's going to get worse and I won't be able to do it" Next thing I knew I was pushing, and there he was.

~Gracie'sMummy~ is offline There is no footprint so small that it doesn't leave an imprint on this world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a wonderful natural birth after 34 hours of labour. It was the most amazing experience I have ever had as a woman... Very painful but so worthwhile.
    Having said that a VB is not for everyone... Some people just can't bare the thought of it and that is completely OK too, everyone is different and you have to go with what is right for you and your baby.

Just go with the flow of whatever happens, don't stress too much and just trust in your OB/Midwife. Bringing another life into the world is such a gift regardless of how it happens!

The most important thing to remember is that it doesn't really matter whether your baby arrives in the world through the front door or the sunroof, as long as they arrive safely =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP, I know it seems that way but I think if you are fairly set against a caesarean then the odds are lower it will happen to you (if that makes sense)...

I am the same when I was pregnant. I was DESPERATE to avoid a caesarean. I think the best thing you can do is educate yourself on techniques to help a natural labour progress. My main tip would be to keep walking around and squatting etc. Be prepared with pain relief techniques e.g. visualisations, movement, TENs machines etc. Juju Sundin's "Birth Skills" book was really helpful for that. Talks about mobilising to help the baby move down the canal etc.

And make sure your doctor, midwife, partner etc all know how keen you are for a VB.

And can I just say in my opinion - VBs ROCK!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two natural labours here.

I get your fears. I felt much the same before DS was born. I read sooo much about natural birth and told myself it would happen and was totally focussed on it. I know this doesn't mean everything will certainly go to plan but I truly believe it helps - especially being armed with information. You can do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am another who had a Vaginal birth I went overdue with both my kids (40+12 for each) and was induced (Cervidil tape then ARM and the Drip for DD and ARM and Drip for DS) I had 5 and a bit hr labours with both kids (5.45 for DD and 5.20 for DS) and used a bit of the gas with each labour!

I had my mum to talk to about v.birth too (and she was with me when I delivered both bubs - she cut the cords to as DH didn't want to) I found she was a wonderful source of information and support - I had about half and half for GF's and their births and now more have had c-sects but I really think my recovery time was so much faster than those who had C-sects (both emergency and scheduled) and I personally felt quite proud of myself for getting through it with just some gas (thats not to say that others who have used other drugs or had c-sections shouldn't be proud or anything) for me it was a bit of a sense of accomplishment if that make sense!

I think go with an open mind let others know you want a v/birth and hopefully you can get he birth you want!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chloeandme View Post
    ...It doesn't have to be painful. It can be totally blissful and the best high you've ever had in your life! During my DS's birth I kept saying to myself "This can't be it. This isn't hard enough. It's going to get worse and I won't be able to do it" Next thing I knew I was pushing, and there he was.
    I totally agree!

My first time, i was so scared not only "fear of the unknown" but for all the horror stories people told me while i was pregnant. And in reality, it was a beautiful enjoyable experience! Luckily i didn't even need drugs it was that good
    Of course not all births are that good, and my upcoming labour in September might be completely different, but i'll be more relaxed going into it this time and let nature do its thing as much as possible.

I totally get what you mean though about the sheer number of c-sections these days. When i joined my new mums group after DD was born, i was the only one out of 20 in the group who'd had a natural vaginal birth. I thought that was a bit sad. No reflection on them as people, it just made me sad that it seemed birth - traditionally a womens business - has been taken over by medical staff. A few of those women elected their c-sections, but the others ended up there after a cascade of medical interventions.

But my new mums group was an extremely unbalanced example and is not what you'd call a reliable cross section of births today. As a prev. poster said, the stats sit around 25% or 1 in 4 births.

As others have said, stick to your guns. As long as it is safe & healthy to do so, it is your right to refuse a c-section. It is your body, your baby and your birth experience, not theirs. If you are birthing publicly, chances are good you won't get pushed into it unless medically necessary.

And you still have lots of time My daughter was born 1 day before her due date. Plenty of women go way overdue without any noticeable sign of labour on the horizon and then bam! Baby makes his/her entrance! Hang in there, you'll be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there, three vaginal births here

#1 at 37+4 weeks with a couple of breaths of gas on lowest setting (episiotomy)
    #2 induced at 39+4weeks due to high BP with a couple of breathes of gas on lowest setting (3rd degree tear)
    #3 all natural at 39 weeks no drugs/gas and no tearing

ETA - first labour 8 hours, second 1 hour 33 and third just under 3 hours
    Last edited by ~Danni~; 14-07-2011 at 15:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My first was a drug free VB and unfortunately was the worst thing I've ever gone through. Never. Ever. Again.

My 2nd was an elective CS and was the most beautiful, wonderful, amazing birth (and recovery) I could of ever hoped for

Each to their own, birth in any form is great . I hope you get the birth you want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should have mentioned (just to counteract the horror stories etc OP mentioned) that my son's birth was less than 4 hours from start to finish, no pain relief, no tears. Wonderful, wonderful experience. Good luck chicky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    7 Natural vaginal births here. Also 39+ weeks and hoping I won't have to be induced but haven't for the others so far. Long brisk walks and dtd with DH are my tips (about to go for a walk now).

You'll find c/s more common in cities btw. Our middies are very good with supporting natural birth out here - we don't even have an epidural alternative offered unless we organise it way in advance (which I've never needed, not even for the posterior babies). Give me a deep hot bath!