+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,630
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,495
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jagamoe View Post
    Does he have diabetes ?sorry if I'm way off. They've recently added type 1 &2 diabetes as medical condition that qualifies I read that on the website
    Yeah he does. It qualifies automatically for the carers allowance, but the carers payment is based on individual situations.

    I am a member of a large group of T1D parents and only a few receive the carers payment. Everyone automatically gets the allowance though, to assist with the cost of medicine and consumables.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (03-08-2012)

  3. #22
    Nowhere's Avatar
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,112
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    1,623
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Yeah he does. It qualifies automatically for the carers allowance, but the carers payment is based on individual situations.

    I am a member of a large group of T1D parents and only a few receive the carers payment. Everyone automatically gets the allowance though, to assist with the cost of medicine and consumables.

    Its crazy isnt it, how medical issues are seen as nothing to the government, my DD has very high medical needs but wasnt even eligable for physio or OT untill she was also diagnosed with CP. For centre link when single i was eligable for carers pension as DD falls under being on life suport at home but now we are back together eligable for nothing they even canceled careers allowance and i had to re apply which was a joke.

    Kinda of topic but how does your lil one go with needles my DD is fine with finger pricks and used to be ok with canulas and injections for a long time but due to a majory traumatic experience in november she went really bad against needles and cannulas she is slowly getting better but still hates it with a passion. I use buzzy for shots on her. OH and she isn T1D she has a differnt endo condition and required needles, she is the opposite of diabieties in many ways she cant control her low blood sugars if her feed is discontected for more than 30 to 60minutes ( she used to have 30 minutes max from normal to bellow 2 )she will hypos when she is on IV glucose he only has about 5 minutes from it tissueing to he sugars dropping its a night mare

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Adelaide foothills
    Posts
    753
    Thanks
    462
    Thanked
    426
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You really should see a Centrelink officer as the criteria for each person is applied differently and things about your situation will be particular to you and no one else.

    The website is just a vague guide. There's always a lot of confusion between the allowance and the payment and it really does pay to see someone from Centrelink (personal experience and DH is CP recipient) to lead you down the right track.

  5. #24
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,630
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,495
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    Its crazy isnt it, how medical issues are seen as nothing to the government, my DD has very high medical needs but wasnt even eligable for physio or OT untill she was also diagnosed with CP. For centre link when single i was eligable for carers pension as DD falls under being on life suport at home but now we are back together eligable for nothing they even canceled careers allowance and i had to re apply which was a joke.

    Kinda of topic but how does your lil one go with needles my DD is fine with finger pricks and used to be ok with canulas and injections for a long time but due to a majory traumatic experience in november she went really bad against needles and cannulas she is slowly getting better but still hates it with a passion. I use buzzy for shots on her. OH and she isn T1D she has a differnt endo condition and required needles, she is the opposite of diabieties in many ways she cant control her low blood sugars if her feed is discontected for more than 30 to 60minutes ( she used to have 30 minutes max from normal to bellow 2 )she will hypos when she is on IV glucose he only has about 5 minutes from it tissueing to he sugars dropping its a night mare
    Oh that sounds like a nightmare It just doesn't make sense. I have read about your DD on here over the years, someone in your situation should be entitled to everything!

    DS2 goes okay with needles, every now and then he has a cry if the spot is a bit tender or if it flicks out (which happens because he moves...he's 14 months old so tends to do that a lot!). He is generally good with the finger pricks too, we have the lancet set at 1/1.5 because his fingers are so teeny tiny. He is going onto an insulin pump soon, so that will be my first experience with a cannula/infusion sets. I'm not looking forward to possible site infections and him pulling at the tubing, but it is a better option in the long term for his health (and more flexible too).

    I have heard about Buzzy for shots, does it work well?

  6. #25
    Nowhere's Avatar
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,112
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    1,623
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Oh that sounds like a nightmare It just doesn't make sense. I have read about your DD on here over the years, someone in your situation should be entitled to everything!

    DS2 goes okay with needles, every now and then he has a cry if the spot is a bit tender or if it flicks out (which happens because he moves...he's 14 months old so tends to do that a lot!). He is generally good with the finger pricks too, we have the lancet set at 1/1.5 because his fingers are so teeny tiny. He is going onto an insulin pump soon, so that will be my first experience with a cannula/infusion sets. I'm not looking forward to possible site infections and him pulling at the tubing, but it is a better option in the long term for his health (and more flexible too).

    I have heard about Buzzy for shots, does it work well?

    When you go onto the infusion pump actually before so you have it ready look up on faceboo Belly buttons she makes belts for kids with feeding tubes and as the insulin pumps are often on the belly they would work great for that its like a belt to protect it and it would protect the site and also you could clip the pump on it as well, so it would be all secure nice for him they do them in fun fabric to kenz loves her

    The jury is out here on if buzy works he does if she is asleep i can put buzzy on and she wont feel the needle at all but if she is awake and sees it she goes mad lol

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

    Witwicky  (04-08-2012)

  8. #26
    Nowhere's Avatar
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,112
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    1,623
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh and the canula for the pumps isnt bad at all, as its just an intramuscular one kenz had the sensor in for a week and putting it in was fine, we used to put a insuflont in her every few days as well to access for her needles they are fine, Infection risk yes but no where near as high as with an IV port or line as long as you ue good hand hygine all is fine

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

    Witwicky  (04-08-2012)

  10. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    casino
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanks
    2,916
    Thanked
    333
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Type 1 diabetes is now a recognised disability for children aged 10–16 years.

    That's what I found off the website and I hope you guys are gettingor will push to get full entitlements cause by the sounds of it my situation is nothing compared to yours
    just reading your posts made me want to cry at the extent of what your babies go through with medical condition and feel so ungrateful

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to jagamoe For This Useful Post:

    Witwicky  (04-08-2012)

  12. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Griffith NSW
    Posts
    2,237
    Thanks
    802
    Thanked
    918
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted View Post
    I hope you don't mind me gate crashing the thread, does anyone know if you can get 2x Allowance if you are looking after 2 adults? DH Maybe losing his Workers Comp and will then go onto Disability Pension, I am getting Allowance for mum and awaiting a decision on Carer's Payment (DH Pay changed and I should get $300/fn instead of $30/fn) I am just wondering if I will get a seperate Carer payment for DH?
    Yep you can get up to three carer allowances for three people.
    But only one carer payment.
    HTH

  13. #29
    BarefootedMumma's Avatar
    BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Kitchen
    Posts
    2,241
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked
    290
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Want2TTC View Post
    Yep you can get up to three carer allowances for three people.
    But only one carer payment.
    HTH
    Awesome, I will have to get onto it as i can get it while he is on Worker's comp anyway.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootedMumma For This Useful Post:

    SeymourTheBear  (03-08-2012)

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West of Melbourne
    Posts
    1,404
    Thanks
    369
    Thanked
    445
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Witwicky, I'm really shocked they've knocked you back. I definitely think you should persist.

    I get both carer allowance and payment for my dd with Aspergers. It does involve a lot of extra involvement in the way of dealing with meltdowns, appointments and meetings with the school, but it sounds like less than what you have to do for your son. It makes me angry that you've been denied. I hope there's something you can do to get them to reassess you.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

    jagamoe  (04-08-2012),Witwicky  (04-08-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Carers Allowance Questions
    By ItWasntMe in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-09-2012, 14:56
  2. Carers allowance question
    By jagamoe in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 22:03
  3. Understanding Carers allowance/payment backdating??
    By Kayteigh in forum Parents of Children with Special Needs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-12-2011, 19:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Ro and Co
Ro and Co kids cooking classes and parties are a fantastic way for children to experiment with food. The classes and parties are designed to be both educational and fun, giving your child the skills they need to be confident and creative in the kitchen.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!