Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cot vs. Bassinet

Hi there,

Well, after much looking around we finally bought the cot on the weekend, and set it up in the "nursery". Only I woke up in a panic this morning about what to actually do with the bub in the first few weeks. The cot will probably fit in our room, but not along with change table, nappy pails etc etc etc! Is it really worth spending the money to buy a bassinet when most people say they dont use them for all that long? How realistic is the co-sleeping? I think I would be fine as I am a light sleeper but my dh is a very sound sleeper as well as a bed hog.... what to do???
    proudest mamma to Sofia Maia16/11/05

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there

We borrowed a bassinette from my sister in law for our bub. He spent about 6 weeks in our room in that. But I found that when I put him into the cot at 6 weeks for a day sleep - just to see if he would sleep - I found that he slept SOOO much better in his own room and with a more supportive mattress than was in the bassinette.

I think basinnettes are a bit of waste of money really. Bubs grow out of them so quickly.

I've heard co-sleeping is great - but it didn't work for us. Andrew was never interested in sleeping in our bed, ever!

You could put the cot in your bedroom, but there really isn't a need to put the change table and nappy pail etc in there as well. Its just as easy to put a towel or something on your bed and change them there. We found we didn't use the change table a lot when Andrew was newborn, it was the bed and the floor etc that was the easiest.

Anyways thats my 2c worth!

DD - 24.8.2011
    DS - 22.2.2005
    LJ 25.3.2008 Ectopic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a 'snugglebed' in baby's first weeks and placed that next to me on the bed. Its a t-tree filled bassinette kind of thing with a bumper around it...not sure if you know what I mean, but that was nice and portable. I also used one of those velcro 'belts' that went around the baby..that way you can put him in a big bed (cot)..the sheet velcros to the bed, then his belt velcros to the sheet so he is placed in the belt and velcroed in. (I think its called Safe T Sleep?). Its hard to explain but if you go on a baby shopping website you should be able to find it. That way you can pit him in a big bed without the little one rolling away into oblivion.
    O's mom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We invested in a thing called a Preston Ezee Rocker. It's kind of like a bassinet, but it hangs inside your big cot. I liked the idea that bub was in her own room, but was cosy in the Ezee Rocker. The other bonus is it folds up nice and flat for storage. I think they cost around $130. You can also rock bub in it (hence the name Ezee Rocker!), which was great when bub is really little. We weaned ourselves off the rocking before we moved her into the big cot at around 3 months.
    The only bugger with it I found was you have to have the cot sides up in order for it to have something to hang from - it was a bit tricky leaning over to put bub in - but I soon got used to it...

If you do a google search you can find a bit of info on it - I think it's stocked in quite a few baby shops... Hope this helps!

Cheers!
    Miranda
    Mother of 2 daughters
    Eleni 18/03/05
    Amelia 19/12/06

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally loved using a basinette. You could probably find a good second hand one, or ask around family and friends for a lend. One of the main reasons i like them is that they are so easy to move around. In the early days we had the basinette in the living area during the day( this enables bub to begin to recognise difference between night and day), then moved to our room at night (though we ended up co-sleeping at night anyway). Also, I could wheel it to outside the bathroom door while I was showering. As he got a little bigger we moved it to his room during the day. When he outgrew it I just moved him to the cot without a second thought and had no problems at all. Also, depending on what pram you are getting, many 3 wheelers have basinette inserts that you can use at home as a bed as well.
    Jem & Scott
    Zack 4...lego addict.
    Leigh 3...such a dag!

Evie 12 months...our beautiful baby girl, fighting Leukaemia every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved my bassinet also, I bought it second hand for $90... We used it for the first 3 months, as Jembelina said they are so small and easy to move around... We just have to decide now whether to keep it for our next one or pass it on???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks so much girls. i think i posted this in the wrong spot - i have just spent ages looking for my message in the sleeping/settling section... i really appriciate the advice and ideas. I'm fairly new to Brisbane so dont have a network of friends with kids to get hand me down things, but will definatly look into the Eezy Rocker. I have seen them and they look pretty good.

ta again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Snuggle Bed is great!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbudgie
    I used a 'snugglebed' in baby's first weeks and placed that next to me on the bed. O's mom.
    I swear by the snuggle bed and found it great for co sleeping in those first few weeks. It was also great when we transferred DS into cot as he still felt secure and safe, we used it till he was about 6 months(started crawling) but continued to use it when over at friends/families houses, very portable!
    Me~ Proud Single Mumma turning 30
    DS~ almost 4
    DD~ Shes One!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cathy,

I notice that you're also in Brisbane. I hired a bassinet from 'a bassinet and more'. The Wesley hospital advertised them and for $100 I was able to hire a brand new bassinet exactly like the one I had in the hospital, complete with new mattress. It had wheels so it could move easily from room to room plus the clear perspex shell could be used as a bath if needed.

I had it for 4 weeks but could keep it for another $25 per week.

I didn't want to buy one as I only wanted it for a few weeks and didn't have anywhere to store it after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi rynosmum.

i hadnt thought about hiring one - thanks!

Cathy