+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gothchick View Post
    was that street fighter?

'finish him off!!!'
    mortal kombat!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also remember 13+ being the age when most were allowed to play Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or that graveyard one. Not 3, 4, 5 like I see now playing GTA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I also remember 13+ being the age when most were allowed to play Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or that graveyard one. Not 3, 4, 5 like I see now playing GTA.
    Yeah I think up until I was about 11, the most violent game I ever played was Alec the Kid on my megadrive...or sonic lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We played mortal kombat and street fighter on the SNES with our cousins all the time and it was great fun! But today's video games are a little different! So probably not. I'm not a huge gaming fan.

I also played with toy guns as a kid, I don't see what people hate about it? I've never held a real gun and have no desire to, so I don't get that whole issue..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    because you are just one person.
    It didn't affect you and thats awesome for you,
    but that does not mean it wont affect someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaxo View Post
    We played mortal kombat and street fighter on the SNES with our cousins all the time and it was great fun! But today's video games are a little different! So probably not. I'm not a huge gaming fan.

I also played with toy guns as a kid, I don't see what people hate about it? I've never held a real gun and have no desire to, so I don't get that whole issue..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh how I used to love Mortal Kombat.

A PP mentioned Lego Star Wars - my DS loves that game. Most children know it's fantasy, if my DS didn't he wouldn't be playing it.

How many Star Wars enthusiasts do we know who are violent crims???

I think to categorise lego star wars, plants vs zombies, angry birds etc in the same category as GTA or the new Mortal Kombats for 5 year olds is a bit silly. Lego Star Wars IS violent!! It's a "violent game", but in no way is it the same as a 5 yo watching GTA or the new Mortal Kombat.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

austmum  (01-05-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wonder if the research takes into account how the child is raised aside from just the violent gaming?
    My son does play a few games that I question, but he KNOWS that what he is doing on the game is morally wrong and wouldnt work IRL. I have raised him to know better and to do better and to feel empathy and care about his friends. If his friends get hurt at school, he is the first one there helping them back to their feet.

I know i know, my son is just one person and there are plenty of cases where this doesnt happen, but like I said, I wonder if the research takes into account how the child is raised away from the video games. Plop a kid infront of a violent game/movie/show and let that raise them then of course they will develop differently from those kids who are educated on what is and isnt acceptable social behaviour.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a lot of people's dislike for it also comes from how fantastic and life like the graphics are these days. Some of the war ones I play with DH do a very good job of making you feel like you are actually there, walking round with a gun and shooting people. You see the way their heads explode, the way their bodies fall to the ground, the sounds they make...they have come a long way since the days of mortal combat and street fighter.
    I have no problem with my DD playing these violent games when it comes to zombies/monsters because I know what type of kid she is, I know she isn't influenced by them at all,hasn't an aggressive bone in her body, but I can see how a lot of other people would have a problem with their children playing them and introducing this kind of violence into their lives.

Children with anger issues or have a particularly aggressive nature imo shouldn't go near them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Agree with London & GothChick. Depends on the age, the individual child, and how he/she is parented.

GothChick, I get a very uneasy feeling when I play the call of duty type games. Some of the scenes are highly distressing and realistic and I feel really disrespectful to the real soldiers and civilians of the world who have suffered. I can't imagine letting DS play those games until he is over the classified age.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Agree with London & GothChick. Depends on the age, the individual child, and how he/she is parented.

GothChick, I get a very uneasy feeling when I play the call of duty type games. Some of the scenes are highly distressing and realistic and I feel really disrespectful to the real soldiers and civilians of the world who have suffered. I can't imagine letting DS play those games until he is over the classified age.
    Oh gosh I don't think i'd ever be okay with DD playing COD and the likes.....they are just far too violent for children in my eyes, even I draw the line at those kinds. I'll stick with zombies and monsters i think when it comes to DD.
    I on the other hand, have completed them all. I have never felt disrespectful when playing them...I guess because I have never really thought of them as anything more than a game. Not sure really, because I would never ever play a game based on say the holocaust....
    I'll have a think about it and get back to you..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Benji  (01-05-2012)