+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not at the moment as he is only 5!

As he gets older I think we will talk with him about it and DH and I will research any games he wants to play and make a decision based on what we find.

In our family communication plays a huge role. I would want my kids to feel that I am doing my best to make an informed decision about what games they can and can't play rather than just saying no!

As a previous poster mentioned, whether they are exposed to it or not they will all pick up about guns etc from other children mine has and he has never played or watched a violent thing in his life. Good old school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    No there is good evidence that it harms children, changes the way they view the world and inhibits their development of empathy for others.

I don't know why anyone would knowingly allow children to do such a thing.
    No because of reasons above ^^^

Dd has yet to play console games at all I'd rather her play, art, books etc

Me and She - 4

Sent from my iPhone using Bubhub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does killing the mushrooms and turtles in super mario bros count? I let my kids play that but nothing more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kids in both the U.S. and Japan who reported playing lots of violent video games had more aggressive behavior months later than their peers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Well, DD's favourite game on her DS is Pokemon... and that involves fighting the pokemon together, so I suppose it's violent.

I'm guessing what you're really talking about though, is stuff like COD, GTA, et al.? Where there's lots of graphic violence, that's not particularly cartoony and "light"?

If so... maybe when she's older. I dunno.

DP is a gamer. I am... somewhat of a gamer. I don't think you can lump all games which involve killing/fighting into the same category... there are some games which are just mindless and aggressive and graphic. TBH, I've played some of these, and enjoy them... I am not a violent, aggressive person at all. I am an adult, however, and I think that's the difference.

I guess it would really depend on the game, and DD's age/maturity and if I allowed her to, and then noticed a change in behaviour... I would be restricting access again.

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Are we distinguishing between Mario Bros (which I'm fine for DS5 to play) and realistic war games etc (which I will NEVER be in my house).

In Mario Bros and Plants vs Zombies etc there is definitely 'killing' involved, but I am ok with these because it's so completely unrealistic. Where does the line get drawn?

DS is limited to 30 mins per day screen time max, including TV, unless we are watching a movie as a family which is extra.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds is almost 3 and he plays gta and assassins creed with my brother

In gta he moves around in the car he doesn't know how to use the guns, he doesn't watch when my brother plays with the guns

And in assassins creed he rides the horse I couldn't even tell you if there is killing involved but based on the name I would assume so.

I haven't really thought about what age I will stop him playing these games. I grew up with spyro and crash bandicoot even they have guns involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dss plays wwe on wii and watches it on tv. He got violent once at school and lost the lot for a month. Never happened again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No chance. We're not even going to let our kids watch much TV. I'd rather them be mentally stimulated through active play & engaging with human beings. My family think I'm mental but I'm not having couch potatoes for kids. Not to mention the needless exposure to violence you get from video games.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I must be a bad mother! My 5-year-old plays Lego Star Wars on the Wii fairly often - a few times a week for a few weeks, then not at all for a while. I took him to see The Phantom Menace in 3D (it's the only Star Wars film his allowed to watch the whole way through), and has seen bits and pieces of the original trilogy. He told me when to fast forward through because it was too scary, andI chose some scenes that I didn't want him watching. He also loves watching The Clone Wars. Again, if an episode is too scary, he'll turn it off and tell me he doesn't like this one. He and his younger brother have lightsaber battles all the time.

I was pretty hesitant at first, especially watching The Clone Wars, but after he had been playing the Wii game for several months I decided it would be okay. I think he was home sick, and had long grown out of ABC2 shows and had nothing else to watch. I've been monitoring him, his moods, any nightmares etc. If I think it's too much we cut back.

If you'd asked me 12 months ago if I thought he would be this much into Star Wars I would have laughed! I didn't let him watch any TV until he was almost two (when I felt he was ready to watch and appreciate), my 18mo doesn't watch tv yet either (though we think he can hum a few bars of Darth Vader's theme). Even when he did start watching TV it's never been excessive: no more than two hours a day, and certainly not that amount every day.

But, that said, Lego Star Wars is all lego characters. There is no way in the world I would let him play something that involves realistic looking people shooting other realistic looking people.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Susan Mac For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (01-05-2012)