+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Potentially, depending on age, maturity, and the content of the game.

Sent from my Desire HD using Bubhub

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    What about something like the new Star Wars game coming out? They use light sabers to kill?

I dont agree with it at all, but my DH is Star Wars obsessed and wants to play it with our DD when she is older (if she wanted to of course)

I still think its violent and killing whetehr its a gun, sword, light saber whatever

I think that you've answered your own question

Go with your gut on this one and stand your ground

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH is a massive gamer and computer geek so dd will obviously be computer savy but We r yet to have this conversation.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    I would prefer that DS never plays a violent video game but I am realistic and I know that this probably won't happen. So, my compromise will be dependant upon his age, level of maturity, type of game and his reaction during and after playing them.

I will be more likely to agree to him playing games where he kills things like aliens or monsters then humans as aliens/monsters are fantasy and do not represent anything in real life.

If his behaviour changes in a negative way after playing them then they will cease immediately.

Age wise I mean mid teens not younger.
    I agree

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I go by the ratings on the packet, I have a 15 year old and a five year old, if it is 15+ the 15 year can buy it with his own money and when he plays it the 5 year old is not even allowed in the room. The 5 year old however has seen the packet and recently when his dad went into play a game with our eldest the 5 year old did tell me that dad was playing naughty games
    I don't think it is at all appropriate or healthy for young children to be exposed to those 15+ games and many of the PG games are unsuitable for children under school age and sometimes older. There is a relly good site that reviews games and movies and tells you what's in them and for what age they're recommended.
    http://www.commonsensemedia.org/

Some of their ratings are probably a bit over cautious but they are a good guide to let you know when to proceed with caution. I actually don't like much screen time at all for young children but that's another issue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (12-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. DS can play age appropriate games. He doesn't have any toy guns and won't if I can help it. I think there are enough games to play that are non-violent, so he can play those if he shows any interest. But we're not big gamers anyway. We have a Wii, but only have the Wii Fit and Sports games.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Even though DS was very sheltered from tv/games etc when I was single he still went to child care and started the good guy/bad guy games which include using hands and fingers as guns. I always watch what he's watching/playing but I do allow some things that others see as "violent" such as plants vs zombies which IMO the strategy and cleverness of the game outweighs the 'violence'. I think violence is subjective because I don't actually see it as violent and DS knows it is all pretend.

I must say, I grew up playing Mortal Kombat with my brother and I don't even step on ants lol. I highly doubt my brother has hurt anything either so IMO if you still parent your kids correctly and teach them right from wrong you can make some allowances for games.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (01-05-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When DS is with me, I only let him play the G and PG games. His dad however, lets him play any game he wants....and his dad has plenty of violent games to choose from. I dont like it but nothing I can do about it when he's not on "my time".
    DS does say to me "its ok mum, its just a game, its not real!" and knows killing people/animals are bad.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MunchiesMummy View Post
    My DH sometimes plays COD black ops - he will only play it once DD is in bed - if she wakes - off it goes.

Some of the players on this game are as young as EIGHT! Its a full on shot them army game type thing and very graphic - the rating would be MA or R I am sure?

2 years ago, I picked up DS from his dads on Christmas day. Half way during the day DS went into his room to play, which was fine. After a while we noticed my dad was also missing. I went into DS room and there was my dad sitting there watching DS play COD I asked DS where he got the game and he said his dad got it for him - silly me for not going through DS bag when he came home. All my dad was commenting on was how good the graphics were on the game and how well my DS played it

12. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We don't watch violent television or play violent games in this house. We do have sword fights, but not to hurt or kill the other person.
    MY DD who was about 4 and a half at the time has played Call of Duty or something similar, not sure what it was. I left her with my brother for a bit while I ran down the street to do some things and when I got back they were playing it. (Don't know where it even came from, I don't own it). Funnily enough, when I walked in, Nat was refusing to shoot anyone and was telling Uncle Mitch that killing people was naughty and that Mummy would send him to time out when she got home