+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Big difference, still violent. If people argue that 'violent video games lead to an increase in aggression' surely that would include all violent video games, not just the ones we deem acceptable?
    Yeah! What she said!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    To claim that I am somehow not protecting my child's poor, underdeveloped and vunerable mind because she shoots a few zombies of a weekend is imo ludicrous.
    Definitely not claiming that at all, I agree with most of your points but there is a definite, clearly evidenced based mountain of research which all
    says the same thing. Personally, fantasy games in context IMO are fun but the other ones which are clearly realistic and perversely
    violent, I personally find problematic for children to be playing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

share a book  (01-05-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 7 year old plays skylanders.

He has played streetfight a few times with his dad, but not often as he is constantly pressing pause telling dh "a real martial artist could never do that'.

Im 100% fine with it, and this has not had an effect on his agression levels, im pretty sure he has zero agression, he wont even stop his younger brother from hurting him.

I also really dont care what others think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Mortal Kombat is completely fantasy based, the new one made me cringe at age 28!

I don't think fantasy or reality matters so long as it's age appropriate and it suits the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Of course the two options for girls are not "get drunk and pregnant/get HIV," or play video games... but I'm just saying that I can see my daughter becomming a gamer as a teen, and if that means she spends time in her room/in the house shooting characters in a game, then I'm quite okay with that as it means the other "bad stuff," she MIGHT get up to as a teenager is less likely if she's far too concerned with spending time gaming.

Of course, those who are predisposed to anger issues will probably have these enhanced by their game-playing, and I do agree it's a bit anti-social... but some of us are anti-social anyway. I dislike spending time with people generally... so does DP. He's a much bigger gamer than I am, but we both enjoy playing games. I see no harm in it. If I saw my child turning into a person I didn't like because of her game-playing, then I'd seek help and try to make a change in her life.

A bit of time-out and game-playing doesn't mean your child is going to be anti-social obese jerk who thinks it's okay to stab people though. I don't... and shock horror, but favourite games to play are actually Saints Row and GTA (all about being a complete criminal jerk who gets involved in drug deals, pimping out hookers, killing cops, etc. You're yet to see me breaking the law like that though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think thats the main thing Benji...it should b age appropriate. Letting a small child play games or watch movies that are for teens / adults imo is wrong. Those ratings are there for a reason. To protect. And thats what parents should be concerned about.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sassy sorry I didn't mean to insinuate that playing video games would turn your child into an antisocial obese jerk, just like not playing them isn't going to turn kids into alcoholics who are pregnant. As I said in my post I think games can be very important to those people like my brother who don't have friends and who would struggle to relate to his son but for the fact they can game together. His son is the most balanced guy i know and he's been playing quite realistic and "violent" games with his father for years. It's just not something we'll be doing here. But a lot of people would find playing with barbies as detrimental as playing mortal kombat or whatever. Each tomtheir own and I trust most people to judge what's appropriate for their kids.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Was that street fighter?

'FINISH HIM OFF!!!'
    Blood mode on mortal combat I think.. Although street fighter came to mind while I was typing it lol.

Actually pretty sure it was mortal combat. It'd say Final Blow then you had to do a 'special move' to get the upper cut.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    "Finish him!"; Is mortal kombat and then is your time to get in a 'fatility' which is a special gruesome kind of death.

I always appreciated johnny cages fatality... But eh im warped. Must have been cause i was playing mortal kombat at age 11. Eep.
    Last edited by Zombie_eyes; 01-05-2012 at 21:10.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont judge star wars and ben 10 as much.

But Halo, war games and GTA style..no way till they move out and if they become gamers I will go and rip the machines out of the sockets and break them and smash them and run over them...

sorry carried away..I was a gamer when i was a teen.