+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I must admit I did like the COD online gamey bit, where I get my @rse kicked by a bunch of kids probably half my age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    agree with gothchick and london too.

yes to violence, in context.
    my 9yo son plays zombie games, star wars etc. but is not allowed cod, gta, even the matrix. for me they are too close to reality and not age appropriate.

he has also been watching horror movies since he was quite young too. he loves anything tim burton, his fav movie is zombieland and often sits down with me to watch a good scary flick.

but he is the gentlest big brother to his 6mo baby sister, helps do volunteer work with injured wildlife, donates his toys to kids in need.
    totally agree that environment is a bigger factor in shaping a child's personality.

news however is banned in our house.
    imo the nightly news is far more violent, horrific, terrifying than any video game because it is real. especially when they constantly rerun images of tsunamis, bushfires, car crashes, i have even seen dead bodies on the news.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not going to go back and find the quote, but someone mentioned, in response to people having played Mortal Kombat as kids, that the games these days are more violent and graphic then they were back then.

I was thinking about that, and do you remember the school shooting in Columbine? That was some time in the late 1990s I think, and a lot of the blame for that was put on the kids playing violent video games.

Dunno. Just thought I'd mention that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think I already replied to this earlier... but you know, I think DD is going to grow up and be a gamer. Not professionally or anything, but you know how nerdy boys play their nerdy games? That will be DD.

TBH, I'd rather her waste her time playing violent games than getting drunk and knocked up/an STI... I don't believe playing violent games makes you a violent person. I love playing violent games that go completely against my feminist viewpoints... I chill out, kill some bad guys, and that's it. I've yet to get violent IRL. I think the closest I've come is punching my brother when I was a teen, and that was before I even played any of these games.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know ill get judged for this but oh well.
    My DS plays Halo with DH, he loves it and is almost better then DH on it, I don't let him play grand theft auto though i don't like the idea of shooting police etc.

I dont have a problem with it, he plays with nerf guns etc, he knows that its all a game, and that you dont really shot or kill people. i remember playing cops and robbers when i was little with guns and im not a nut job.

i have faith in my parenting that playing a video game wont damage him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

TBH, I'd rather her waste her time playing violent games than getting drunk and knocked up/an STI... I don't believe playing violent games makes you a violent person. I love playing violent games that go completely against my feminist viewpoints... I chill out, kill some bad guys, and that's it. I've yet to get violent IRL. I think the closest I've come is punching my brother when I was a teen, and that was before I even played any of these games.
    ^ yes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

TBH, I'd rather her waste her time playing violent games than getting drunk and knocked up/an STI....
    I'm sure it's not how you meant it but I don't see the 2 as opposites. I've never been a gamer and we don't have any in our house and tbh I just don't get gaming at all so I'm not sure how interested DD will be in them. She has a few games n the ipad but they are mainly dressing up games. She did love plants vs zombies for a while so I guess that counts. My brother is a massive gamer who has borderline personality disorder and tbh if he didn't game I think he'd be lost as it gives him focus and he loves it. So far he hasn't hurt anyone. I think though it can be very socially isolating and that's the whole part of it I don't really like. But just my view.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

TBH, I'd rather her waste her time playing violent games than getting drunk and knocked up/an STI....
    I'm sure it's not how you meant it but I don't see the 2 as the only alternatives for our kids . I've never been a gamer and we don't have any in our house and tbh I just don't get gaming at all so I'm not sure how interested DD will be in them. She has a few games n the ipad but they are mainly dressing up games. She did love plants vs zombies for a while so I guess that counts. My brother is a massive gamer who has borderline personality disorder and tbh if he didn't game I think he'd be lost as it gives him focus and he loves it. So far he hasn't hurt anyone. I think though it can be very socially isolating and that's the whole part of it I don't really like. But just my view.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends so much on the age, maturity & personality of the child along with the specific game.
    I played GTA2 when I was 9, shooting people/running them over, stealing police cars etc. yet I NEVER saw that kind of thing as being acceptable or desirable in real life. The new GTAs are much more graphic though...I don't think I'd want a 9 year old playing them.
    I guess I'll see when I come to it, but if we do allow our child to play games with any violence etc. then I'd definitely be discussing the issue with them - same as I would with TV etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The research is in, it is unequivocal, children playing violent and realistic video games leads to an increase in aggressive behaviour.

The argument of 'I played them and it didn't affect me' is simplistic at best. Lots of people speed whilst driving and don't have an accident as well, doesn't mean it's ok.

No way, no how, not ever would I allow any child of mine to play 'games' like GTA etc.. They are not games IMO but simulated acts of violence and role plays in anti social behaviour.

Adults can do what they like but children's minds are vulnerable, underdeveloped and need to be protected.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (01-05-2012)