+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would u let ur child play violent video games?

Just after some opinions after a discussion with my DH, he is a massive gamer

So would u let your LO play games where they are killing poeple, animals etc??

Esp seeing ac children these days are using PC's and game consoles from a very young age.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No way, no how. Never.
    I would never let them play with toy guns either.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope ds is NOT allowed any games with

sex
    violence of any description

He isn't allowed games with any shooting either.

This stuff is NOT neccessary for children and warps their developing minds.JMO

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No there is good evidence that it harms children, changes the way they view the world and inhibits their development of empathy for others.

I don't know why anyone would knowingly allow children to do such a thing.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (04-02-2012),ShanandBoc  (11-07-2011),WorkingClassMum  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would prefer that DS never plays a violent video game but I am realistic and I know that this probably won't happen. So, my compromise will be dependant upon his age, level of maturity, type of game and his reaction during and after playing them.

I will be more likely to agree to him playing games where he kills things like aliens or monsters then humans as aliens/monsters are fantasy and do not represent anything in real life.

If his behaviour changes in a negative way after playing them then they will cease immediately.

Age wise I mean mid teens not younger.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (01-05-2012),~Marigold~  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree 100% thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We don't have a game console, nor will we ever, but NO I would never let DS even *watch* anything like that, let alone play a game like that. DS is very much "monkey see, monkey do", he copies just about everything he sees so I have to be really careful what he is exposed to.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about something like the new Star Wars game coming out? They use light sabers to kill?

I dont agree with it at all, but my DH is Star Wars obsessed and wants to play it with our DD when she is older (if she wanted to of course)

I still think its violent and killing whetehr its a gun, sword, light saber whatever

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mother was absolutely against violent tv shows/movies, children playing with guns and anything of the sort and adamant my brother wouldn't be involved in anything like that. That all went out the window lol. He had a big garbage bin full of plastic swords/guns/dress ups, yet has grown up to be very gentle and respectful. As much as I'd like to say I'd never let my kids, I can't be sure. I wouldn't encourage it but they probably will at some point, especially when DF loves nerf guns. As long as it's monitored and only in fun and the kids aren't actually being aggressive just playing I don't really see the harm in it.

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a firm believer in all the research that says that it harms children. Unfortunately I now have my own anecdotal evidence as DH thought I was full of BS, and let my child watch him play violent games. He also let her have a game for her iPod touch IDIOT.

I found out when she (DD) stated to me randomly while driving, "It's ok to kill people you don't like isn't it."

As a point of perpsective, one of her kinder friends had just told her that his uncle was going to jail as he had killed someone ( - we won't talk about why my child knows this liitle gem!!!!!), and so put two and two together so to speak. Unfortunately she came up with the wrong answer.

DH now understands that I wasn't full of BS and reserves his Call of Duty to time when DD is not around. He was also made to remove the ZOMBIE KILLING game he downloaded onto DD's iPod touch and explain why he was wrong.

We also had to have a big discussion about what death actually was, and what it actually meant to have someone 'be dead' as in you would NEVER, EVER see this person again. DD was a bit upset about that as she hadn't quite understood that concept.
    Last edited by Oblena; 11-07-2011 at 22:53.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblena For This Useful Post:

share a book  (12-07-2011),WorkingClassMum  (11-07-2011)