Closed Thread
Page 48 of 97 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Danii---I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful little boy. RIP little angel Raymond James.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Danii - I have tears from reading your post. It's so unfair. Huge hugs to you... Rest in peace beautiful angel bubba Raymond James xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Danii, I absolutely remember you and your story and I just want to add my condolences. I'm so very sorry. Please know you have a place here if you wish to stay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    April, Sounds like you've had a really uphill battle for no.2 Where do you live hun? Also curious which clinic you are doing CGH with? Hope it is the answer you and DH are looking for

Jamison, I would give some serious thought to what you need to do for yourself to be able to move forward in the best head space you can with the next phase of your journey. It is hard enough without carrying additional angst with the clinic (not undeserved I might add but it only hurts you in the long run). I think there are many avenues to address the situation it just depends on what is right for you and DH. We had numerous frustrations and miscommunications organising our ED cycle as you might recall. I tried to address them as they arose (and I think face to face helped) and occasionally I copied the nurse team leader or FS into email correspondence so everyone was across the problem. Good luck with whatever you decide

AFM, I had my hysteroscopy yesterday and it turns out I did have some adhesions on my cervix which were removed (I know this by reading my own file in recovery! ) I have an appt with Dr S next week to discuss in detail but he also wrote in the surgery notes that I had a old 'false passage' in my cervical canal which Dr Google tells me is caused by instrumentation from past procedures. Anyone heard of this?

So seems my instincts may have been bang on that all the intervention I've had is causing me issues with my lining etc. It was all clear when I has my last lap/hysto in 2010.

Will have a fuller picture next week but just relieved to have some likely answers. Dr S is saying I should expect AF to come on time and we can start the new 'P' protocol then (progynova, pcynogenol, prednisolone and some FSH to kick the ovaries into gear). So, hopefully not too much more waiting

It is lovely to see the supportive community of the Warrior Women continue to grow. It brings so much hope to have our graduates of this thread continue to pop in, so thanks for that I'm so glad we have a presence now on 'the other side' ....where I will continue to stalk you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    dannii - I am extremely sorry for your loss. I have no words to take your pain away. My thoughts are with you in this extremely difficult time and I would like to say that when you feel up to it, stick around here as you will get alot of support. Big hugs.

star - yes I have ALOT of thinking to do. I just do not get straight answers from DH so that is not really helping me to make up my mind. He has his own issues right now and is flying back from QLD as his sister is extremely ill with cancer. I will just have to think about my next move by myself as he agreed to go along with whatever I decide. Sounds like you are one organised lady. I gave up with all the e-mailing and chasing the docs a long time ago but maybe I need to start up again. I am sure I will know what to do when the time is right. How are you doing there??How are you feeling after the hysteroscopy?? You still with Dr S or am i confused?? Oh and make sure you remember to "stalk" me when I "graduate".

april - hi and welcome. Your story sounds alot like mine. Two full IVF cycles and about 11 or so transfers to no avail. May I ask what CGA is?? I also have a retroverted uterus but so not get GA for transfers although many times I have nearly passed out or thrown up from the pain. I love your avatar by the way. Isn't it good old "Bruce" from "Finding Nemo"? I wish the best of luck with your next cycle and I look forward to chatting with you more on this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jamison - CGH is Comparative Genomic Hybridisation, which is the way they can now do PGD on an emby when they don't have a specific problem to look for.

The principle behind CGH is you get:

(a) a sample of "proper" reference DNA and label it a fluorescent colour like green.
    (b) a sample of the emby's DNA and label is a different fluorescent colour like red.

Heat an equal amount of both samples up together in the same container so that the rungs of the DNA ladder separate down the middle like a zipper. This leaves the labelled DNA looking for its match when you let it cool down.

Apply the unzipped DNA to a test chip which has unlabelled fragments of DNA already stuck to it so that the fluorescent labelled bits have specific places to zip themselves up to. This forms lots of fluorescent spots on the test chip. A lot of work would have gone into identifying which spots come from which bit of chromosome, and to making sure that each bit of chromosome only had an affinity for one particular spot, before the technique was released for general use.

Use a computer to read the colour of each of the spots. If the colour is yellow then there's an equal amount of DNA (a) and (b) so the emby has the right number of that bit of DNA. (Fluorescent red + fluorescent green = fluorescent yellow)
    If there's more green then the emby is missing a bit, so more of the reference sample stuck to the spot.
    If there's more red then the emby had extra DNA for that bit, so more of the emby's DNA stuck to that spot.

There's a bit of random wiggle in the colour of the results, but if, say, all the spots for chromosome 4 are red then the emby probably had a trisomy for that. It will also spot unbalanced translocations, and smaller regions of extra/absent DNA where particular spots on the test chip show up too much or too little red or green.

Obviously there's always more detail available, but that's the gist of comparing genomes by letting them hybridise together.
    Last edited by felicita; 31-01-2012 at 21:07.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

SimpsonDesert  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Felicita---You've explained CGH so simply and clearly, thank you. You're our in house medical educator LOL!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostysmum For This Useful Post:

SimpsonDesert  (01-02-2012)

Green Mum to be is offline Just one baby pretty pretty please with sprinkles and a cherry on top
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry Danii

Thanks
    Reviews
    Felicita - I wonder what combination of those changes worked? I guess it doesn't matter, the results were great either way. For different reasons but our last was only the second time we'd ever seen a blast before, same as you none to freeze but it's a great feeling to have blasties!!

Jamison - ok, will have to try those at Ben and Jerrys then. Anyone who loves cookie dough ice-cream is a reliable source! What's in Chunky Monkey?
    Sorry to hear about your DHs sister and that you have the full burden of decisions yourself, doesn't make it easy on you

Danii - I'm so so sorry for your loss. I can't comprehend what you must be going through, but we're here if you need support, to vent, or anything. Life is so so unfair sometimes and it's horrible you're going through this

April78 - welcome and all the best for your cycle at the end of the month. Fingers crossed it's third cycle lucky for you!

Starf!sh - excuse my lack of knowledge on this but does that mean after your surgery that you have more chance of your lining being better for future cycles or just that that's what has caused the issue? (hoping for the first part!)

Afm - very upset at the moment as my dog just got diagnosed with bone cancer (which is very aggressive) yesterday. Absolutely devastated, was inconsolable yesterday and DH was worried I could be affecting the baby but I just could not help myself. We have an oncologist appt on Friday but not much that can be done either way
    I have my first obst appt tomorrow but my focus has been elsewhere with the vet diagnosis (another reason DH is worried).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haydos1978 -
    Generally, the faster a cancer grows, the more it is killed by chemo - but faster ones also have more chances to evolve resistance and stuff.
    There's a wacky treatment called Coley's toxins. Success is not guaranteed because the immune system needs to come up with some of the goods. It mustn't be done at the same time as chemo or radiotherapy, but is theoretically ideal done shortly afterwards, i.e. before the immune system has had enough time to recover fully. Essentially you inject bacteria (Mycobacteria is probably a good one) into a mass of the tumour and hope. It uses the same principle as is behind the new treatment of using Listeria to treat bladder cancer.

As for the blasties, I'm going to give credit to the rose quartz