+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmingup****** View Post
    It's not always about the ability to afford the rent. It's not always about money. It can be that nobody will rent to them so to move out they would make themselves and their children homeless whether they can afford to pay the rent or not.

I really hate that "my tax money" mentality too. Like you have a say then about when or where or how a person lives.
    I didn't actually realise that over here the RE's have a say in your financial affairs. Tbh that's crap. I've only ever rented in NZ where you don't have to prove any sort of income. You apply for the house and get it if they like you. No other reasons are taken into consideration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    We own properties ..we have assets ..we have money..I made sure of this before becoming a mum..so if we split..I would still have a place to live and work and be able to provide..

I don't wish anyone to be a single mum..and can imagine how hard it would be to get a house..
    as i said ...if I was in housing I would be doing everything I could to get out of needing it...

Also why are people defending/ talking about the look of the housing comm houses? What's that got to do with anything....
    I'm pleased you're so privileged.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emzluvbub For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-07-2011),naebie  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emzluvbub View Post
    I didn't actually realise that over here the RE's have a say in your financial affairs. Tbh that's crap. I've only ever rented in NZ where you don't have to prove any sort of income. You apply for the house and get it if they like you. No other reasons are taken into consideration.
    Yeah different here. They look at income here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

emzluvbub  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    We own properties ..we have assets ..we have money..I made sure of this before becoming a mum..so if we split..I would still have a place to live and work and be able to provide..

I don't wish anyone to be a single mum..and can imagine how hard it would be to get a house..
    as i said ...if I was in housing I would be doing everything I could to get out of needing it...

Also why are people defending/ talking about the look of the housing comm houses? What's that got to do with anything....
    As I said, you are privileged.... and before you say you worked hard for it... I'm sure you have. But that doesn't mean those that are low income in PH don't or haven't. There are a plethoea of reasons why every woman that has ever had a baby didn't own a property before she had the child.

So the old saying goes There but for the grace of god, go I....
    Last edited by delirium; 10-07-2011 at 14:10. Reason: typos

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

meme  (10-07-2011),share a book  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    I don't rent but think that is a bit harsh, you sound like you have no idea of the realities of the rental market, it is extremely hard to find rental properties in some areas and then there is no assurance that you will be able to stay in the property. I don't think it is selfish to want a roof over your families head, I don't think it is the fault of the family who choose to stay in the security of public housing that there is a shortage of stable accomodation, I think the govt needs better policies and needs to spend their money more wisely.
    yes i do have a idea of the rental market i actually have a insiders view of it no it is not selfish to want a roof over your and your childs head but it is selfish to put someone else in that position of facing that possibility when you are more then able to rent on your own like alot of other struggling families.

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Not many, certainly. But why is it not possible to get a 2 or 3 day a week job 9-5 and use before and after school care like many other thousands of working mums?

To the OP, I admire your sentiments and your determination to succeed. Personally I am surprised to see the number of people on here who are suggesting to never leave public housing even if you can afford to move into your own home or private rental. I work with psychiatric patients and it is nigh on impossible to get them in to public housing with even priority cases on a waiting list of at least a year. I think if you stay in housing when you don't need it you are taking away a place for someone that might otherwise be homeless, not to mention the fact as a tax payer I am none too happy to give money to people that don't need it (bear in mind I have no issue with giving welfare to genuine strugglers).
    And that is one reason I do have an issue with people who say they can't possibly get a job because they need one that fits in with school hours. My kids will have to go to before and after school care so I can make money to pay taxes to people who might be sitting in their taxpayer funded home just because they don't want their cherubs to do the same. That irks me
    thats it thousands of mums have to work there backsides off to get where they are in the career determination and drive is a wonderful thing i know for me if i was in the position and wanting to move up in life id do everything possible to do this yes in the short term it may mean your child attending after school care for 2 or 3 arvos per week but think of the boost and lift it will give you and your child in the many years to follow i know alot of single mums ( and that is not discriminatory as i dont know any full single dads) who are al woe is me i cant work blah blah blah but then i also know alot who do to give there kid a good the best life they can

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    From the way I see it, it is pretty black and white. Public housing is tax payer funded is it not? therefore paid by us taxpayers. I resent having my taxes going towards people that don't need it, when others are homeless.
    ditto not only the homeless families with children with disabilities and families in real financial trouble

i will lastly just say no one can change your life except for you and the best way to go is up and to the OP good on you for having the mindset that you have and to be working towards your "goal" i wish you all the best and you sound like a wonderful and determined mummy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well,Really.....I find there is way to much judgement these days..
    Its kinda like my thread the other night about me feeling like i need to explain to people the reasons behind my c.sections...I now read this thread thinking theres not much real difference..We are mothers judgeing other mothers!!!
    For those that live in public houseing shouldnt have to feel they need to explain or justify why or how they got there...
    And if you are a single mum,well then good for you for at least having a roof over your childrens head..To me thats important,lets think about the kids for a minute!
    If i was in that postion,id probably apply for a house to....Its easy to judge when never personally been in a situation like alot of others out there...

Like i mentioned before,we struggle on one wage and a mortage..We all struggle at the moment with the price of everything!!
    I also am happy to think that people in public houseing are actually being respectful of their place,as someone said before,there are people out there who just trash these houses and i think they are the ones who get up most our noses..As it is tax funded,i guess we foot the bill!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

congrats to you for being set up before you had children. wish i had done that but then again, i didnt think i could get pregnant but here i am with a 4yr old.

the bolded bit with how you are asking why we are talking about the look of them, well if you go back a bit further, you would do anything to get yourself out of them. to me, you are making it sound that living in them is crap as the houses are dodgy and so on. anyway, i am going to go and look at the private rentals and see how soon we could become home homeless as we arent deserving of our house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    congrats to you for being set up before you had children. wish i had done that but then again, i didnt think i could get pregnant but here i am with a 4yr old.

the bolded bit with how you are asking why we are talking about the look of them, well if you go back a bit further, you would do anything to get yourself out of them. to me, you are making it sound that living in them is crap as the houses are dodgy and so on. anyway, i am going to go and look at the private rentals and see how soon we could become home homeless as we arent deserving of our house.
    No not at all ..I wasn't meaning the way they looked (there are some lovely ones..in great spots)..just having to need it..For me I would do anything to get out of needing to live there..meaning wanting to be able to rent/buy a place ...not needing housing..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think things are getting very off topic here, the original question was whether you would 'never' give up public housing even if you were in a position to rent privately.
    So all the discussion about not being able to get private rental etc is null and void, obviously if you are unable to get private rental due to low income, 6 million kids etc then you are clearly NOT in a position to rent privately.

Nobody on here has said that public housing should not be available for those that need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma2ajem View Post
    thats it thousands of mums have to work there backsides off to get where they are in the career determination and drive is a wonderful thing i know for me if i was in the position and wanting to move up in life id do everything possible to do this yes in the short term it may mean your child attending after school care for 2 or 3 arvos per week but think of the boost and lift it will give you and your child in the many years to follow i know alot of single mums ( and that is not discriminatory as i dont know any full single dads) who are al woe is me i cant work blah blah blah but then i also know alot who do to give there kid a good the best life they can
    I have never been a single mum, but a number of friends are. There are lots of barriers to working, particular prior to school age. By the time they pay child care, transport to work, uniforms etc etc they are only marginally ahead, unless they are in a high paid job. Many CC centres have huge waiting lists. Some rural areas don't have after school care. Some don't have family to babysit. So many will work for a small amount to have their children in CC 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. Some think the 'best life' isn't having a child in care 50 hours a week (and that is no judgment to working mums, just saying how opinions on what a child needs, are different to some)

I'm not saying women (single and partnered) should never return to work. I'm simply explaining the very real barriers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-07-2011)