+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuchsia! View Post
    The waiting list around here are 6yrs!

I'm living in a tiny little house sharing my room with 2 kids with my parents and housing department have told me unless there is domestic abuse or I am disabled or have a disabled child i can't get a house until 6yrs.

So frustrating!
    That's what it was like for me when I applied.

At the time I was with DD's father, but he wasn't living with us and wouldn't commit to privately renting anywhere with me.

The house I was living in was shared with my mother (in 1 room), my brother and his gf (in another room) and then DD and I sharing my bedroom. The house was small too, with only one living area, which I HAD to occupy with toys because there was just no other room... and this cause no end of fights because I was apparently hogging the only living area in the house (as a small toddler is rather selfish and couldn't give 2 hoots if she's hogging the only living area that 4 adults have to somehow share).

The waiting list was 9 years long when I applied.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My neighbours have 6 children with a 7th on the way. They can afford to rent privately. They can afford to buy the house they are in (these ones are really old and run down and the government wants to sell them off) but they have to go through banks for a loan if they want to buy it. No bank will give them the chance.

They've already said they can afford to move but why should they? They wouldn't be guaranteed a house and even if they were able to secure one there's no guarantee that when the lease is up they will find another house.

They are Islander which goes against them. They will have 7 children by the end of the year which goes against them. He's working in public health so not on a huge income and she's not working which goes against them.

They are paying market value and like mentioned they have no Rent Assistance so financially they'd be better off moving out but there's no security. Why should they have to give up on that security and possibly be homeless again in another year or 2 when no-one gives them a chance?

We can't blame tenants for lack of housing and we can't blame tenants for the fact that landlords won't rent to them. They have been there for 5 years now and have caused no problem with the house itself. They have kept it in good shape and kept it clean.

They can easily afford a 6brm house in the private market and be elligable for Rent Assistance but they are stuck in a 4brm house with no Rent Assistance to avoid being in a position where they can become homeless again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same opinion of what Swimmingup****** has said.

Just because someone can apparently afford to live in private rental, doesn't mean they should move. For various reasons.
    I live in public housing. My mum got this house after 10 years on a waiting list. When she was in the position to buy a house of her own (after paying market rent in this place), she left and handed this house onto me when I was pregnant with my first child. I have now been in this house a total of 11 years. I spent my childhood moving every 4 years so it makes me really happy being in one house this long. I have had this house to myself for 6.5 years. I have painted and fixed things that weren't done before we moved in. My dad has built a cubby in the backyard for my kids just like I had when I was a child. It's built into the ground so can't be taken with us if we had to move. He has helped me landscape the yard and improve it. When the goverment was putting money into public housing and doing renovations to them, the guy who oversaw all the work consulted with me on how *I* wanted it. I got to pick carpet and paint colour and they built an alcove in the dining to fit my side by side fridge that is too big for my kitchen. They then blocked off one of the doors in the kitchen and put in extra cupboard space. They did this with ME in mind, not any future tenants. Because they expect me to be here longterm. And I probably will. This is my HOME. I have great neighbours and it's a great area. And I love the security and not having to shift my kids around to different houses every 4-5 yrs like my childhood. I love it here! I'm entitled to live here otherwise I wouldn't be here, I couldn't afford to rent privately. If I'm ever in the position to rent privately, I'd rather be given the opportunity to buy this house. I don't ever want to move if I don't have to. The anxiety I feel is overwhelming when thinking about if I ever had to leave this place.
    For a lot of people, including me, it's not just a house but our homes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kittykawaii For This Useful Post:

share a book  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I had to live in public housing ..with my child.. I would do everything I could do to get the hell out of it!!!!..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    If I had to live in public housing ..with my child.. I would do everything I could do to get the hell out of it!!!!..
    Life is rarely black and white. People have given lots of reasons why people don't move out. A big one being access and lack of security in private rental. LL's can pick and choose who they want, without any fear of being accountable for descrimination. They are not bound into giving reasons, so if they want to give their house to a 2 child family with 2 incomes, over a 18 yo single mum, they can.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MermaidSister  (10-07-2011),naebie  (10-07-2011),share a book  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some of the things written here are the reason there are long waiting lists in Sydney they can be as long as 15 yrs. Public housing should be for those who are homeless, disabled or in very difficult financial situations etc. Welcome to life! Most people in the rental market are afraid of moving constantly, a lot of ppl are struggling to survive these days, many many ppl especially in large cities have a lot if trouble getting property even if they make a half decent wage. In sydney ppl apply for 50 or 100 properties before they get something. Every family wants to give their kids a stable life, every person wants security. Maybe if all the pol who could move out actually did the waiting lusts would be a year not 10. That way if someone once again found themselves in a hard situation they would get help quickly. That's just my opinion, I lived in public housing with my mum. It's not as great as it seems, ppm constantly live with the fear of not wanting to give up housing and therefor they get stuck in relying on the government. Many people I know now could own there own homes or even 2 but they don't want to move on because of the " what if" fear so 20 yrs later they are still in public housing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find this thread very interesting..I also have no idea about the whole public houseing thing...
    Was wondering if you actually pay anything to live in one?
    Or are they just all tax funded?
    That being the case,if it is our taxes that pay for this,then in my opinion if people can afford to move and let someone else in a poorer postion move in then they should..This is where the government needs to step in and do somthing about it...
    Its us poor suckers who declare everything to the government and struggle from month to month that really get kicked in the bum...
    We are living off one wage and go without alot due to this...But we are happy to be able to just pay our mortgage every month and have OUR house..

My cousin who is disabled has been on a public houseing list for 3 years and doesnt look like theres a house comming up any time soon.
    He cant get a job that pays well enough due to his condition so he pretty much works for nothing...Sorting rubbish at a recyling plant...This to me is unfair!

But like i said,im not really in the know about this..Just wanted to add my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daisymoo View Post
    I find this thread very interesting..I also have no idea about the whole public houseing thing...
    Was wondering if you actually pay anything to live in one?
    Or are they just all tax funded?
    That being the case,if it is our taxes that pay for this,then in my opinion if people can afford to move and let someone else in a poorer postion move in then they should..This is where the government needs to step in and do somthing about it...
    Its us poor suckers who declare everything to the government and struggle from month to month that really get kicked in the bum...
    We are living off one wage and go without alot due to this...But we are happy to be able to just pay our mortgage every month and have OUR house..

My cousin who is disabled has been on a public houseing list for 3 years and doesnt look like theres a house comming up any time soon.
    He cant get a job that pays well enough due to his condition so he pretty much works for nothing...Sorting rubbish at a recyling plant...This to me is unfair!

But like i said,im not really in the know about this..Just wanted to add my opinion.
    It's 25% of your income. FTB and child support are also taken as income. People get no rent assitance living in public housing either yet they can pay up to market value (320/week in my area) but they stay there because nobody will rent to them for various reasons and the banks won't give them a loan even if they are capable of paying off their own home.

I love the whole "black and white with no shades of grey" nature of BH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live my life in black and white there is no shade of grey....the grey to me is often the "excuse " for things....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on the waiting list for 2 years and nothing came along. We had no money but we had no choice but to spend the majority of our income on rent. By majority I mean more than 25%. Much more. The list is so long I would most definitely give up my house if my situation improved. I like to focus on moving forward though. I don't know anyone who doesn't plan to get out of state housing and off centrelink eventually. Where there is a will there is almost always a way. I can understand that many people are afraid to leave state housing though.