+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinOnAPrayer View Post
    Is he here? lol we werent worried by the floods at all. only the bridge really. People made a mountain out of a mole hill up here. Further north was bad, but not here
    Its a pretty nice place. A lot of low income families, so rent isnt that bad. Lots of schools for the kids and plenty of parks. I dont mind it here. Its still a pain to drive 3 hrs to the hospital in brisbane for DD's appointments but its a hell of a lot better than a plane trip, taxis, overnight stays...
    I thought you were further out than that.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was out west, but moved to be closer to DD's medical teams, and my parents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I lived in public housing in Queensland and left it when I repartnered and moved to Adelaide. I totally regret my decision to leave it.

We have 5 children and a single (slightly above average wage) and we got knocked back time after time for properties. We were living with my parents but it was too cramped and I was spiralling really fast back into my depression. We were getting knocked back purely based on the size of our family, we would speak to the RE agent doing the open house and (s)he would be really enthusiastic about giving us the place as my partner is in secure employment (working for the government) and we are both neatly presented and had our own mortgage at one time which we paid out early blah, blah. We never got any of the houses though. We did ask why on all of them and most of the RE agents told us they couldn't give us a reason but that we were not chosen by the landlord. One RE agent did tell us that the landlord did not like the number of children we had (and their ages presumably) and decided to go with a smaller family. She was actually quite upset for us and she assured us she pushed our app forward but she can't force a landlord to choose us. She did, however give us the email address of one of her friends who was fixing up his rental property for rent and told us to email him about renting privately (he was managing his own property) and thankfully we did get this house

I really think there is a bias towards large families and until perceptions change there will be a need for housing for large families - irrespective of how much they earn simply because they cannot rent anywhere else. We are not in a position to buy atm either. It's a scary place to be in and we are really thinking about moving back to QLD just to go back on the housing list (I waited 13 months last time) because SA have such a public housing crisis that people are not getting housed. We were told they are only taking priority 1 applications now (people who are homeless and have multiple other factors such as drug addiction/mental illness) and that people who literally have no "roof" are waiting upwards of 3 years and they aren't even adding names to the other lists anymore (because no one on lesser priority will ever get a house). We have family to live with so we are not classed as "homeless". If we lived in a car we would have our children removed from our care and without children we would not be priority one anyway so essentially we will never get housed even if we found ourselves on the streets. It's incredibly suckful to be honest as my family are in SA and I need to be here for my mental well-being but I can't handle to insecurity of not knowing where I will be living each time our lease is up for renewal!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Should also mention that before moving out we were paying market value for the house and didn't get any rent assistance so we certainly were not profitting from living there - it was actually more expensive to live in the government house than live in the house we are in now. But we need the security and having 5 kids we really can't face life having to move every 12 months or so and having to bunk with family and friends if no-one wants to give us the opportunity.

Housing is a right, it isn't a privilege and if you are entitled to housing then you have just as much right to feel secure in your housing as anyone else. I would snap up a government house again without an ounce of guilt if I had the chance (which we will if we move back to Townsville).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma2ajem View Post
    this may come across as harsh but IMO if you are in the position to rent privately then i really think you should move out to make room for someone who really needs it
    I agree.

I actually think there needs to be better "policing" of people living in public housing. If they can afford to move into the private rental market then they should have to. Obviously they'd need to be given sufficient notice.

There are just too many people living in public housing who don't genuinely *need* to be there while people who are homeless (or on the verge of it) miss out .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I personally think it's pretty inconsiderate to live in public housing when you've got the means to live elsewhere - that's the reason why it's so hard for those who actually NEED public housing to access it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    How many jobs do you know that are compatible with 9 - 3 school hours?
    Not many, certainly. But why is it not possible to get a 2 or 3 day a week job 9-5 and use before and after school care like many other thousands of working mums?

To the OP, I admire your sentiments and your determination to succeed. Personally I am surprised to see the number of people on here who are suggesting to never leave public housing even if you can afford to move into your own home or private rental. I work with psychiatric patients and it is nigh on impossible to get them in to public housing with even priority cases on a waiting list of at least a year. I think if you stay in housing when you don't need it you are taking away a place for someone that might otherwise be homeless, not to mention the fact as a tax payer I am none too happy to give money to people that don't need it (bear in mind I have no issue with giving welfare to genuine strugglers).
    And that is one reason I do have an issue with people who say they can't possibly get a job because they need one that fits in with school hours. My kids will have to go to before and after school care so I can make money to pay taxes to people who might be sitting in their taxpayer funded home just because they don't want their cherubs to do the same. That irks me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The fact that supply is outstripped by demand means landlords can pick and choose whoever they want - and they want the 'socially acceptable' 2 children family with hubby earning a good wage.

The private rental market is a farce. Tenants being charged outrageous amounts of rent... and what else do they do. When one LL works out their 3 bedroom dump is being rented for $500 p/w by other LL's, they jack up the price to match. So tenants have no choice but to be ripped off. I have to laugh on here, when I see people on a household income of 100k complaining they don't get rent assistance... a whole $130 p/f , while tenants on a 1/4 of their income are paying almost the same in rent they pay for their mortgage

It's no wonder public housing has such huge waiting lists....

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-07-2011),ConfettiGirl  (09-07-2011),naebie  (10-07-2011),Pinkzy  (09-07-2011),shockinamillion  (10-07-2011)

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What's even more frustrating is when 1 person lives in a 3-4 Brm house!

The area I live in built these brand spanking new flats for single people, mostly the elderly.

They all chucked up a stink because they didn't want to move, majority of them live in 3-4brm houses!

The waiting list around here are 6yrs!

I'm living in a tiny little house sharing my room with 2 kids with my parents and housing department have told me unless there is domestic abuse or I am disabled or have a disabled child i can't get a house until 6yrs.

So frustrating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    public housing in govt own rentals for low income families. theres a 2yr waiting liist in some places
    In my area I believe there is up to 10 years waiting lists

I have a friend who can't afford a private rental, but has been told she should be able to, and so is therefore left living in a caravan in a friends back yard with her 3 kids. She's trying to find work, trying to get a private rental but in our area there is a huge demand and not enough supply!