+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know of a woman who's house is public housing and she is hardly ever there, she lives with her bf and comes to her house every few weeks to mow the lawn, check on things etc. The house sits empty for weeks at a time while she lives with her partner. It's been reported but nothing has changed. That is a 3 bedroom house, perfect for a family, fenced with a huuuuuge yard. The whole house got refurbished by the governemnt (new kitchen, bathroom, stairs, paint, yard cleaned up etc etc) and it still sits empty and gets used about twice a month by her.

Such a waste, imo.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheUndomesticGoddess For This Useful Post:

CrazyJs  (11-07-2011),Pinkzy  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I dont know how getting ahead on 25% of your income works. I dont have money flowing from the ceiling and neither does anyone else i lersobally know.

My parents had my place before i got it. They paid market rent of $350ish a week due to the area.

I am thankful they atayed in housing otherwise we would of been homeless. I also thought about doing the house swap too as i do want to move. Have to find the site to go on from the dept as i couldnt find anything awhile ago about it.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma2ajem View Post
    this may come across as harsh but IMO if you are in the position to rent privately then i really think you should move out to make room for someone who really needs it how would you feel if it were u waiting for a house and u knew there was a family in there that could afford to rent privately but your left in a refuge/ caravan whatever while waiting i think it is really selfish to choose to stay i know of a few single mums who say they will never leave there government funded housing as they will never be able to afford private etc to me thats a load of crap once ur child is at school there are more work oppurtunities for more money etc i know plenty of single mums who rent on there own as well and they manage just fine i know it does depend on circumstances and the single mums i know there children are at school so that helps with them being able to earn more
    I don't rent but think that is a bit harsh, you sound like you have no idea of the realities of the rental market, it is extremely hard to find rental properties in some areas and then there is no assurance that you will be able to stay in the property. I don't think it is selfish to want a roof over your families head, I don't think it is the fault of the family who choose to stay in the security of public housing that there is a shortage of stable accomodation, I think the govt needs better policies and needs to spend their money more wisely.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

share a book  (09-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am currently in community housing.
    I was in government housing for 4 years.

I paid a rent amount based on my income, and when i was with my DD's father, that was market value for the area. After 6 months of market value, we were going to be asked to move out, as we could obviously afford private rental which at the time was true but subject to avaliability.

Now, in community housing, I pay more rent but its a long term housing scheme. Which means unless i trash the place or dont pay my rent, I'm allowed to live here as long as I want.

As much as i'd love to go and work and earn my own way, its easier said than done. As a single mum with a special needs child, no qualifications and no training...

I will be studying for the next 4 years, and then hopefully i'll be working towards buying my own home. And yes, I will be staying here until I have the money to move out into a home of my own.

Community and even government housing is not 'last resort' as some people would imagine. And honestly, waiting lists arent that long in more regional areas, so if people are desperate they will move from big cities. Some people just dont help themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinOnAPrayer View Post
    And honestly, waiting lists arent that long in more regional areas, so if people are desperate they will move from big cities. Some people just dont help themselves.
    Where i want to go which i believe is kinda out your way the waiting list is long as they have very limited housing available as in 9 1 bedroom units, think the same for 2 bedroom and houses are only 3. They arent the exact numbers but its very limited. Would have to find the piece of paper with all the numbers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mystiks I was on the wait list for brisbane government housing for 2 years with no end in siight, went on the 'community' housing list (which is q-build serviced homes but run through a community real eastate, rent assistance and long term) and go a place offered to me within 6 months. big differance to 10 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinOnAPrayer View Post
    Mystiks I was on the wait list for brisbane government housing for 2 years with no end in siight, went on the 'community' housing list (which is q-build serviced homes but run through a community real eastate, rent assistance and long term) and go a place offered to me within 6 months. big differance to 10 years.
    Yeah i am lucky i could get the house i am in transfered into my name. Will look into it. Dad would pay the removal cost s for me to move which is good. He doesnt want me to move there as he is scared of more flooding happening but if it happens it happens. Plus there is more job openings for me out that way out of brisbane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he here? lol we werent worried by the floods at all. only the bridge really. People made a mountain out of a mole hill up here. Further north was bad, but not here
    Its a pretty nice place. A lot of low income families, so rent isnt that bad. Lots of schools for the kids and plenty of parks. I dont mind it here. Its still a pain to drive 3 hrs to the hospital in brisbane for DD's appointments but its a hell of a lot better than a plane trip, taxis, overnight stays...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To be honest OP if I were in your position I would not be entering the private rental market.

You have been given this opportunity to build a stable life for you and your son, take it! Get your degree, find a good stable career, save and buy your own home.

I would much rather see a single mum stay in gouvernment housing for an extra few years if it means they will have a shot at security for the rest of their lives, than move out prematurely and be stuck in the private rental market indefinably.

The private rental market is horrid, we pay 50% of our wage for an "entry level" 2 bedroom house in a decent area. I applied for 9 properties to get this, and DH has a stable job and were a couple with 1 child (at the time) no pets. The private market in the city is really unattainable for most single parents, especially ones with children full time who need to work school hours or pay daycare costs.

I don't see a reason why you should have to work in fast food or retail indefinitely so someone else can have your government house, not if you have the ability to have an career in an area you enjoy and potential to buy a house.

I think OP your plan to move out is great, but don't throw away this opportunity to give yourself and your child a better life because you feel you need to leave a bit before your ready.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Merla For This Useful Post:

jo101  (11-07-2011)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Merla View Post
    To be honest OP if I were in your position I would not be entering the private rental market.

You have been given this opportunity to build a stable life for you and your son, take it! Get your degree, find a good stable career, save and buy your own home.

I would much rather see a single mum stay in gouvernment housing for an extra few years if it means they will have a shot at security for the rest of their lives, than move out prematurely and be stuck in the private rental market indefinably.

The private rental market is horrid, we pay 50% of our wage for an "entry level" 2 bedroom house in a decent area. I applied for 9 properties to get this, and DH has a stable job and were a couple with 1 child (at the time) no pets. The private market in the city is really unattainable for most single parents, especially ones with children full time who need to work school hours or pay daycare costs.

I don't see a reason why you should have to work in fast food or retail indefinitely so someone else can have your government house, not if you have the ability to have an career in an area you enjoy and potential to buy a house.

I think OP your plan to move out is great, but don't throw away this opportunity to give yourself and your child a better life because you feel you need to leave a bit before your ready.
    well said!