+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 141
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,500
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    I appreciate the attitude of the OP, and I hope that the majority of public housing tenants feel the same way.

    Public housing isn't a winning lotto ticket, it's a last resort. It's not there to be a sneaky way to save a house deposit more quickly, and it's not there to offer a cheaper alternative for people that could manage renting privately. It's there to offer an alternative to people who would otherwise be on the streets.

    .
    Actually, that would be refuge/crisis accommodation. Public housing is a medium term accommodation solution for people on low incomes.

    A step up is affordable and community housing for low to moderate income earners, and the proportion of rent contribution ranges from 25-30% of their income depending on what band they fall into.

    I think the new rules around public housing leases, being time limited and reviewed, are fabulous and much needed, but I don't necessarily agree that people who *could* theoretically afford private rent are being selfish by staying on for 5 minutes after their income rises.

    I have been looking for a new place to live for nearly a year...I rent privately, but the house is a dump and I think we deserve better. I can afford it, but can I get approved? No. Because according to real estate agents, spending more than 1/3rd of my income on rent means I can't afford it. There is nothing that will fit me and my kids for less than that where we need to live.

    I have applied for community housing just to get us into a decent place. I won't stay there forever (if I even get placed) but I will have no guilt over spending a few years trying to get ahead, and save as much as I can. For a community services worker with a family to support, spending $450 a week on rent makes EVER getting out of the rental market impossible. Largely because rentals are choked up with high income earners who could afford to buy but choose not to, meaning securing private housing for AVERAGE working people is becoming much more difficult than it should be.

    Sorry to say it but the state of the rental market is only increasing the demand for more public housing. Try coming out of a DOH flat, working in a fast food store, and getting approved for a private rental against double income couples at an open house with 50 people there. This is what renters in urban areas are facing. I doubt very much that it is a choice to bludge off the government so much as a choice to keep your family securely housed. The issue is bigger than the individual.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MermaidSister For This Useful Post:

    jo101  (11-07-2011),meme  (08-07-2011)

  3. #32
    DaddyLarge's Avatar
    DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    865
    Thanks
    485
    Thanked
    1,165
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Threadkiller View Post
    It is for people with disability aswell, theres not many houses out there that are wheelchair friendly etc
    Absolutely. As I said, if someone CAN'T leave for the private market, then I hope that as a community we are willing and able to help out.

    Quote Originally Posted by mystics View Post
    Actually, that would be refuge/crisis accommodation. Public housing is a medium term accommodation solution for people on low incomes.

    A step up is affordable and community housing for low to moderate income earners, and the proportion of rent contribution ranges from 25-30% of their income depending on what band they fall into.

    I think the new rules around public housing leases, being time limited and reviewed, are fabulous and much needed, but I don't necessarily agree that people who *could* theoretically afford private rent are being selfish by staying on for 5 minutes after their income rises.

    I have been looking for a new place to live for nearly a year...I rent privately, but the house is a dump and I think we deserve better. I can afford it, but can I get approved? No. Because according to real estate agents, spending more than 1/3rd of my income on rent means I can't afford it. There is nothing that will fit me and my kids for less than that where we need to live.

    I have applied for community housing just to get us into a decent place. I won't stay there forever (if I even get placed) but I will have no guilt over spending a few years trying to get ahead, and save as much as I can. For a community services worker with a family to support, spending $450 a week on rent makes EVER getting out of the rental market impossible. Largely because rentals are choked up with high income earners who could afford to buy but choose not to, meaning securing private housing for AVERAGE working people is becoming much more difficult than it should be.

    Sorry to say it but the state of the rental market is only increasing the demand for more public housing. Try coming out of a DOH flat, working in a fast food store, and getting approved for a private rental against double income couples at an open house with 50 people there. This is what renters in urban areas are facing. I doubt very much that it is a choice to bludge off the government so much as a choice to keep your family securely housed. The issue is bigger than the individual.
    Again, I am definitely not against public housing. I think that its availability to those in genuine need is a duty of a prosperous country and I would hope that we would continue to make it so.

    I also don't suggest that there should be some sort of fixed time limit, after which public housing is refused no matter what. I think it should be there for people in need - and whether that NEED is months, years, or a lifetime, I hope that public housing is available, comfortable and secure.

    My issue is with people who abuse public housing and remain long after any genuine need has passed. I have personally met more than a few people who would brag about the sweet deal they are getting and how they go out of their way to hide income or turn down work in order to play the system and keep their public housing indefinitely. I'm not one who fall into the trap of assuming that everyone receiving welfare is rorting the system, but when it comes to people abusing the public housing system it definitely IS a significant problem. For every house that these people occupy, there is a family in genuine need living in a car, couch surfing - or worse. I find this reprehensible.

    I don't know your circumstances beyond your brief outline here, but I assume you are backed into a bit of a corner and I sincerely hope that you are accepted into public housing very soon. I hope that whether it takes you months or years you manage to use it as a step on the path to whatever future for which you hope. Please don't think that I begrudge you this help - I assure you that I don't.

    My issue isn't with people like yourself - my issue is with the people who make people like yourself wait for years to achieve some sort of housing security.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

    MermaidSister  (08-07-2011),Pinkzy  (10-07-2011)

  5. #33
    Nowhere's Avatar
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,112
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    1,623
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If i could get government housing i would stay there, Im currently saving up to move out of my parents house after splitting form my husband ( DDs dad) im saving up to buy things to move out. I am lucky that I wil be able to afford to pay rent on a private place but am going to struggle to find one that si suitable with DDs wheelchair, 99 percent sure wont have a bath room suitable for her needs, and most have steps out the front and you cant put ramps on a rental.

  6. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,146
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked
    871
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    If i could get government housing i would stay there, Im currently saving up to move out of my parents house after splitting form my husband ( DDs dad) im saving up to buy things to move out. I am lucky that I wil be able to afford to pay rent on a private place but am going to struggle to find one that si suitable with DDs wheelchair, 99 percent sure wont have a bath room suitable for her needs, and most have steps out the front and you cant put ramps on a rental.
    Can you apply for a modified home through DOH or any other gov. agencies?

  7. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    on a sandy beach!
    Posts
    6,327
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked
    2,197
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I could write a whole topic on housing as I hear about it EVERYNIGHT!!! (my dad works for pub housing in sa)..

    Have any of you looked at the affordability housing scheme? Cheaper homes for families etc and you can buy your housing trust if your in one.. correct me if I'm wrong but some of your rent may even be classed as mortgage repayments already!

    Congrats on your decision it's wonderful, thoughtful of many needy families/people.

    Mon x

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

    InBetween  (09-07-2011)

  9. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,500
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked
    267
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    People in situations like yours (Nowhere) get high priority...as they should. I believe the way housing is allocated in the first instance is reasonably fair, even if it means that others get bumped down the list; because, for instance, as much as I am struggling to find a decent home for my family, I don't *need* a certain type of dwelling as you do. We can make do in whatever we can get for the short term at least, you guys can't...
    Last edited by MermaidSister; 08-07-2011 at 21:55.

  10. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I could write a whole topic on housing as I hear about it EVERYNIGHT!!! (my dad works for pub housing in sa)..

    Have any of you looked at the affordability housing scheme? Cheaper homes for families etc and you can buy your housing trust if your in one.. correct me if I'm wrong but some of your rent may even be classed as mortgage repayments already!

    Congrats on your decision it's wonderful, thoughtful of many needy families/people.

    Mon x
    Only in some states is rent taken off the cost of the house. The ones near me are for sale to buy new ones in better areas so I have mine but no rent was taken off. The houses sell for market value too. You also have to take out a loan with a bank. About 3000 in fees then money to put in up front as well. None of the current tenants near me will ever be in a position to buy the house they are in which is a shame.

  11. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    on a sandy beach!
    Posts
    6,327
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked
    2,197
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ah ok I wasn't 100% on it, I knew something though lol.

    It's a real shame, hardly anyone can afford the Australian dream of owning their own home!

  12. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    inner city cool
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    395
    Thanked
    249
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    would you plan to NEVER 'give up' your house in public housing, even if you were in a position to rent privately??
    This is such a good question.

    Like many others, DH and I are stretching our pennies. We pay $380 a week rent for a basic two bedroom place, DH gets a mediocre income ($41Kpa) and mine (PPP) is heavily cut as he's earning. We have a 4 month old son. I cannot see us being able to get enough money together for a deposit any time soon but we're trying.

    My next door neighbour, who works, has a three bedroomed govt housing home, is living there on their own and pays $50 a week. They were living in a flat in another area but the couple who used to live in the house they're in now wanted that area so they swapped.

    So not only can you live cheaply you can do a bit of house swapping too if you want. Choice!

    So while I would love to be noble and tell you oh yes I would most certainly give up my house in public housing, to be really honest if I landed a deal like that I'd hold onto it for dear life. To me, that would be getting ahead.

  13. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InBetween View Post
    This is such a good question.

    Like many others, DH and I are stretching our pennies. We pay $380 a week rent for a basic two bedroom place, DH gets a mediocre income ($41Kpa) and mine (PPP) is heavily cut as he's earning. We have a 4 month old son. I cannot see us being able to get enough money together for a deposit any time soon but we're trying.

    My next door neighbour, who works, has a three bedroomed govt housing home, is living there on their own and pays $50 a week. They were living in a flat in another area but the couple who used to live in the house they're in now wanted that area so they swapped.

    So not only can you live cheaply you can do a bit of house swapping too if you want. Choice!

    So while I would love to be noble and tell you oh yes I would most certainly give up my house in public housing, to be really honest if I landed a deal like that I'd hold onto it for dear life. To me, that would be getting ahead.
    How is it $50/week? When I was in government housing a number of years back my rent on pps was about $80/week with me not at work and on payments for one child with a cs exemption so no other income from cs. When I worked the rent went up. I know people get around it but it's hard to get around and people are eventually caught unless they work cash in hand but then if they are on c'link with no children under 6 they will be in trouble with them for not working minimum hours (30/week unless they have a reason to be on part requirements of 15/weeks) so I don't know how it's so low.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Posting into Williamtown NSW- Seeking Info on Housing and Public Primary schools.
    By Little Blue Wren in forum Parents in the Armed Forces
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-07-2012, 22:41
  2. A developer, with regards to Public Housing Qld.
    By sweetseven in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-06-2012, 00:10
  3. Replies: 137
    Last Post: 22-06-2012, 13:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Softer than your bub's bum Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Australia's favourite eco brand has delivered a gorgeous baby collection. Made from organic bamboo, Boody's extraordinarily soft and stretchy, skin-friendly tops, bottoms, onesies, bibs and wraps don't 'cost the earth'. Get 20% OFF! Code BUBHUB16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Maternity Clothes
Looking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find preloved maternity wear
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!