+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My first job was at the department of housing (I only lasted 3 months!) this was in the late 80.s and it's only from my experience but there were a lot of DOH tenants that we knew for a fact had partners and other family living with them and had jobs ( it's funny the people that dobbed them in were always other tenants!) and were obviously taking advantage of the system but it took so long to weed them out
    ( plus prove it) and the waiting lists were ridiculously long , we had families that were
    bankrupt and homeless and I'll never forget
    a few pensioners who lost their homes
    because of taking out mortgages on their
    homes for their kids ( 17% interest rates in
    1989) So yes good on you OP there will
    always be a need for public housing but unfortunately there is still a huge shortage ( we now own a real estate office and we have a few ex DOH tenants and rent assisted tenants )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    I appreciate the attitude of the OP, and I hope that the majority of public housing tenants feel the same way.

Public housing isn't a winning lotto ticket, it's a last resort. It's not there to be a sneaky way to save a house deposit more quickly, and it's not there to offer a cheaper alternative for people that could manage renting privately. It's there to offer an alternative to people who would otherwise be on the streets.

I'm glad that, for all of our faults we have a system that provides SOME funding to help people in the direst of circumstances, but the reality is that the funding will always be limited. If you can't (rather than won't) leave public housing for the private market, then I hope that the public housing is available, safe and comfortable, and that it helps you get ahead. But if you stay in a public house for a day longer than is necessary simply because it's easier or that you'll save a house deposit quicker, then you are DIRECTLY responsible for putting another family onto the streets.

I find the latter morally bankrupt to say the least.
    It is for people with disability aswell, theres not many houses out there that are wheelchair friendly etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never lived in public housing and never will, however I think the OP is awesome for setting goals and wanting more from life. I wish you every success in life, and am sure you will go far.

However, you are in a secure position right now and I think it is your right and responsibility to ensure that you never ever need to be in a insecure position again. If I were in your shoes, I would be insuring the future by obtaining a fanastic education, securing myself a fantastic job, and saving for a deposit on a house. Once I had acheived these things I would be outta there and into my own house. We live in uncertain times, and renting a house while saving for a deposit is very difficult. You have the right to a secure future, and anyone who says that you have no right to save for a deposit has clearly not thought out your position or been in similar shoes.

Good luck.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spoon For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (09-07-2011),meme  (08-07-2011),MermaidSister  (08-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not in Public housing due to the fact theres a 10 yr waiting list where I live/need to live...

I know of many people who have been in there DEPT houses for over 20 yrs- the kids are grown up and gone and now they live alone in their 3/4 bedrooms, working full time....
    Its really not fair for people like me who have to live with family because we genuinely can not afford the private rentals yet can not get the publc housing assistance in a decent time frame.

I think there should be a time limit of how long you are allowed to stay in public housing(obviously not for the disabled/elderly) so that it can be freed up for those who need it.

Yes some may need it still but if you cant get things in order within 5-8 yrs then you need to get some kind of help- you need to retrain and find a career and just get any work. There is before/after school care etc... if a job is not able to work in with school hours. Fast food shops usually have day crew who are mums etc... and are happy to allow you to work school hours only- yet a lot fo people are 'too good' for 'those' types of jobs.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MommaBear For This Useful Post:

Amara  (08-07-2011),PuppyGuts  (09-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    MommaBear, i have applied to go back to fast food. the maccas closest to me wont take me as i dont have enough availability and need to work at nights so daycare and afterschool care next year wont be suitable for me. if it was only for 5-10yrs that we could be in gov housing, i would be looking for a new house to live in right now. i would be homeless and we would of been homeless as children as we grew up in housing.

people make them their home. we will be here for many many years. as i said earlier, i want to move to a smaller place to free up my 3 bedroom house for another family but i need to still be in housing. the wait for me to move is 10 plus years and that includes to less desirable areas including a whole new town.

i dont want to move around while my son is still so young. its our home. its the house he was born in. my aunty is in a 3bedroom house by herself. she certainly cant afford market rent. then there is my cousin in a 5 bedroom house when they only need 2 bedrooms. housing wont move them either so they have made it their home by doing the gardens up and everything.

then there is all the vacant houses that just sit there because nobody will take them or the department takes forever to fix them up.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    public housing in govt own rentals for low income families. theres a 2yr waiting liist in some places

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    I have never lived in public housing and never will, however I think the OP is awesome for setting goals and wanting more from life. I wish you every success in life, and am sure you will go far.

However, you are in a secure position right now and I think it is your right and responsibility to ensure that you never ever need to be in a insecure position again. If I were in your shoes, I would be insuring the future by obtaining a fanastic education, securing myself a fantastic job, and saving for a deposit on a house. Once I had acheived these things I would be outta there and into my own house. We live in uncertain times, and renting a house while saving for a deposit is very difficult. You have the right to a secure future, and anyone who says that you have no right to save for a deposit has clearly not thought out your position or been in similar shoes.

Good luck.
    Thanks, and all of the above you wrote - well that's my plan

I hope to be working by the time our current lease is up in 3.5 years, and definately by the time DS starts school. I'm in the process of restarting uni now that DS is sleeping better. Definately once I am in the position to move out I amouttttta here!! And I'd feel good about it too - good for the reason that if we're outta here, I've achieved what I needed to to get us out!, and good for the reason that I'll be happy knowing that someone who might of been waiting a long time can come enjoy their next few years here and make good memories too

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheUndomesticGoddess For This Useful Post:

spoon  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaBear View Post
    I'm not in Public housing due to the fact theres a 10 yr waiting list where I live/need to live...

I know of many people who have been in there DEPT houses for over 20 yrs- the kids are grown up and gone and now they live alone in their 3/4 bedrooms, working full time....
    Its really not fair for people like me who have to live with family because we genuinely can not afford the private rentals yet can not get the publc housing assistance in a decent time frame.

I think there should be a time limit of how long you are allowed to stay in public housing(obviously not for the disabled/elderly) so that it can be freed up for those who need it.

Yes some may need it still but if you cant get things in order within 5-8 yrs then you need to get some kind of help- you need to retrain and find a career and just get any work. There is before/after school care etc... if a job is not able to work in with school hours. Fast food shops usually have day crew who are mums etc... and are happy to allow you to work school hours only- yet a lot fo people are 'too good' for 'those' types of jobs.

There is a time limit. 4 years lease, then it gets reviewed, and if the tenant is still eligible then they can resign for another 4 years. If they are'nt eligible then they can't resign a lease. I was told this when I signed up for mine, because apparently before the 4 year lease thing, once people got into a house they could have it for life, pretty much. I am giving myself until the end of the lease to get myself into a better position. So at least now they are sort of 'policing' who actually still NEEDS housing, and not just letting people stay on who CAN and are ABLE to get into the private market whether renting or buying...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know many people who stay in the house because it's more stable than private rentals. They won't have to move every 6 or 12 months. Their rent won't increase every time the lease is up. If they are out of work the rent will reflect this. It's far more stable entirely. I know many who will not leave until they buy their own house which is fair too when you have a family to look out for. Who wants to be in the private rental market when it may leave them homeless?

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP - I felt just like you. I lived in supported accom as a youth, had my first baby there and worked really hard to save up and get in a position to enter the private rental market. It was a pride thing for me, I really wanted to stand on my own feet and feel I was properly providing for my family.
    But it was hard to find a rental and I applied and got a housing commission unit that I lived in for a few years. I loved my unit and used it as a secure base to raise my daughter. I managed to find work, save up and buy my first car thanks to having that unit and I eventually used it as a springboard to moving into a share house with another family. I think I felt that the public housing was a step for me, not my whole life, but I have to say that sometimes I regret leaving. I did bounce around housing wise for a bit after that, living in one room with my dd for a stage and then back in one room at my father's place(where I still paid rent). I certainly see the value in public housing from my experience, and I think that I was in a rush to prove myself by moving out - which with hindsight was a bit silly, if you are entitled to that help, you are entitled to that help , so use it. you do deserve it. And if and when you are ready to move on, do so because it is right for you, and not to prove something to the rest of the world. Not that that is what you would do, but that is I think what I was thinking....that I could work and get out of housing commission, but then it actually wasn't that easy to keep work, parenting and private rentals and it caused a lot more instability for my child once I left. and yet it worked out well for us in the end, because that path lead me to now, and I have a beautiful home I love.

funnily enough, even though I am a homeowner now, this thread has really made me nostalgic for that unit and that time of my life!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to meme For This Useful Post:

MermaidSister  (08-07-2011)