+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    can i ask why you just say single mums? partnered families dont stay just because they can, is it only single mums? not dads? not single people with children who are grown up in a 3bedroom house?

just wanted to add i dont yet have a school age child and when i do my work choices are not that good. i can only do school hours and i dont drive so i am limited even more than most
    should have written anyone really its just single mums that i personally know of doing it but yes i have heard of a grown single women being in housing comission on a good wage yet she was allowed to stay so i guess it is across the board to everyone not just single mums and yes i understand some ppl can only do school hours and i did state in my post that it does make it easier but with the not driving which limits your choices is it a voluntary not driving thing or you cant drive due to medical reasons etc ? only asking as if it were the case that u got a good job that was hard to get to getting a license may help your job opportunities ( once again i understand there may be limitations/medical issues relating to some ppl not being able to obtain a license )

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    How many jobs do you know that are compatible with 9 - 3 school hours?
    i know a fair few ppl who have obtained jobs at random shops and also places like big w etc that accommodate school hours , cafes etc but in saying that it is all about location as well i guess i live in a big town so opportunities here may be higher then those living in a small town

my post was not a dig at anyone but it just irks me when ppl will happily live in government housing when they dont need to be i dont really know the ins and outs of the housing as i have never used it but i have heard of ppl waiting for years for a place yet there are ppl in them they dont need to be and i find alot of the time those that DONT need to be but choose to stay as it is cheaper are just being greedy and could not care less about the ppl who really need it i dont have a problem at all with government housing as it is there for a reason and some ppl would not survive without it but i have a problem with ppl who take advantage of it for there own benefit i mean why should someone on the same wage as my dp be in public housing when we can live perfectly fine paying off a mortgage on one wage ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mumma2ajem For This Useful Post:

MommaBear  (08-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am currently living with my mum who lives in gov housing.We plan to privately rent a larger premises soon.Her family think she is stupid to give up her "security" to live with us but it is what she wants.

The neighbours are a bit dodgy are she is over them anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone who needed housing quite a few years ago, and couldn't get it due to the long waiting list, yes I think it's wrong to stay when you have the ability to rent privately. My DD and I had to live with my mother and her emotionally abusive husband (now ex) until a friend of a friend was able to let me one of their rentals. It was an awful time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

Amara  (08-07-2011)

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I appreciate the attitude of the OP, and I hope that the majority of public housing tenants feel the same way.

Public housing isn't a winning lotto ticket, it's a last resort. It's not there to be a sneaky way to save a house deposit more quickly, and it's not there to offer a cheaper alternative for people that could manage renting privately. It's there to offer an alternative to people who would otherwise be on the streets.

I'm glad that, for all of our faults we have a system that provides SOME funding to help people in the direst of circumstances, but the reality is that the funding will always be limited. If you can't (rather than won't) leave public housing for the private market, then I hope that the public housing is available, safe and comfortable, and that it helps you get ahead. But if you stay in a public house for a day longer than is necessary simply because it's easier or that you'll save a house deposit quicker, then you are DIRECTLY responsible for putting another family onto the streets.

I find the latter morally bankrupt to say the least.

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Amara  (08-07-2011),Azurial  (08-07-2011),HELPihavea2yrold!  (08-07-2011),Maybelline  (10-07-2011),MissPoss  (08-07-2011),MommaBear  (08-07-2011),MrJones&Me  (10-07-2011),Pinkzy  (10-07-2011),PuppyGuts  (09-07-2011),Stiflers Mom  (08-07-2011),threechooks  (09-07-2011),WasntMeMum  (08-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    I appreciate the attitude of the OP, and I hope that the majority of public housing tenants feel the same way.

Public housing isn't a winning lotto ticket, it's a last resort. It's not there to be a sneaky way to save a house deposit more quickly, and it's not there to offer a cheaper alternative for people that could manage renting privately. It's there to offer an alternative to people who would otherwise be on the streets.

I'm glad that, for all of our faults we have a system that provides SOME funding to help people in the direst of circumstances, but the reality is that the funding will always be limited. If you can't (rather than won't) leave public housing for the private market, then I hope that the public housing is available, safe and comfortable, and that it helps you get ahead. But if you stay in a public house for a day longer than is necessary simply because it's easier or that you'll save a house deposit quicker, then you are DIRECTLY responsible for putting another family onto the streets.

I absoultely agree with all of this.

My thoughts exactly. I am where I am because I had/still have nowhere else to go. I am LUCKY and I APPRECIATE the fact that I have a roof over my head, and while I am here (until 2014 is the plan anyway) I am glad that I have a roof over my DS' head and a stable environment for him to grow up in. When, and not if, but when I leave this place, I sincerely hope the next family who lives here will appreciate what they've got as much as I do right now. I see public housing as a stepping stone to a better life for my Son. Without this place, I don't know where we would be living, honestly. By living here, I AM getting a lowered rent which enables me to TRY and get ahead and further study to enable me to have a REAL job (career) by 2014/2015.

I cannot wiat for the day to move out (and I love my little house, but it isn't where I want to be forever - and there are many other families who will live here over the years) and be in the position to buy a house...wow..I cannot imagine the feeling!!

This is why I'm still a bit stunned at my neighbours 'attitude' this morning in regards to this topic. I was told when I git this place that the rules for piblic housing had changed and that by getting into the system and getting a place was no longer forever you could keep that place. I NEVER assumed I would be able to live in housing forever, and I'm glad that there is a new system in place that looks at the individuals situation after a certain amount of time, that tells people to move on IF they can afford it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post

Well said!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Maybe it's just the people I've known, but everyone I know in public housing is scratching to get out. They are often in areas with a huge stigma, the houses are tiny and severely under maintained. Many don't have heating and cooling (a gf of mine had to pay to put in a split system). I don't doubt for a moment OP, that this woman did say this, and that some people never want to leave. But I think they are in the minority.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum is in housing department. She was on the waiting list for 7 years and was finally placed in a 3 bd townhouse when she had my brother and sister at home still.
    Today she is still in that townhouse but my brother and sister are gone. As she works she pays market rent ($265 a week) she has applied for over 50 places in the last year, all smaller apartments but the same price. She has been knocked back on all of them.
    She is on a low income, she literally only earns $1 an hour more than I do and I work in a fast food joint. She wants out but can't get out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is public housing? I have never heard of it before.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    How many jobs do you know that are compatible with 9 - 3 school hours?
    tell me about it! im lucky i do temp work which is mainly from home, but i have a degree and am biligual, so theres job around.