+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I lived in a CRS unit some years back. I was an absolute fool to give it up.
    I had just had my 2nd child and had started working casually. I (stupidly) wanted to move in with my partner. We couldn't stay in the CRS as our combined income was too high apparently (he was on under $40k and i earnt maybe $15k). So we got a private rental. He turned out to be an abusive pr!ck. There was no way i could afford the private rent on PPS. There was no way i could get approved for another private rental being soley on PPS. I was listed as having a "very high need" for housing by DOH. After 2 years of dealing with the abuse and not coming anywhere close to being housed by DOH i left and tried to get a private rental in a cheaper area. I spent 6 months homeless... around 150 rental applications knock backed in the first 3 months. So i tried different areas and my applications were still knock backed.
    I went back to the ex then into a refuge then short term accommodation then i was back to having nowhere so it was back to the ex for the sake of having a roof over our heads.

So if i were ever in the position to get my hands on DOH i would probably cling on to it for dear life. I know what its like to deal with abuse every day of my life, i know what its like to be homeless with children, i know what its like to be discriminated against.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

MermaidSister  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Smug people who imply that they would NEVER be in a situation where they would have to live in housing really sh!t me. Do you think I got here by choice?

Some people are more 'fortunate' than others. I guess I am one of the 'unfortunate' one's in this case.

I hate to say it out loud, can call me for a bish for thinking it - but I have at times, after meeting one of 'those' people who sit there and BRAG about their house/car/kids/money/hubby, thought to myself "if you were to lose this all tomorrow, you'd have no effin idea how to cope!"

I guess I am glad, in a way, that I was brought up in a single parent, low income family, only because I didn't grow up thinking the world was all lovely and innocent. I am grateful for having grown through hardship as a child/teen/adult. It has made me realise life is hard, at times, and not to take anything/person/situation for granted.

I know I'm off topic sort of - but a PP has really annoyed me. I dislike smug people who 'assume' that they will never be in a less fortunate position than they are now. Sh!t happens people, we have no control. Your world could come tumbling down in an instant.

Rant over.

Now, back to the topic - Yes, the rent is lower in housing, BUT when you are living on $300 week, it ought to be? Again, I am working towards getting qualifications and buying a house so I can move out. I just sincerely hope i never turn into someone with a clueless attitude like some people on here. But I won't as I have A CLUE about what life is like when times are hard.

Makes me more bl00dy determined to 'prove' smug people wrong who assume I am a lazy, uneducated, unmotivated to improve myself type of mother....I am not going to be one of those 'today tonight' mums who sit around forever in housing. I strive for more.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheUndomesticGoddess For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-07-2011),spoon  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Gosh, I worked in a r/e office for years and I've never heard that landlords prefer couples with no children! News to me!

Landlords prefer people with a good rental history. My DP and I can literally walk into any home we like and we are guaranteed that we'll get it, despite having DS. We applied for a large home once and at the last minute the landlord sadly had to sell and the property manager begged us for weeks to rent one of his other properties he had listed!

One of the property managers I lived with preferred leasing to migrants as he felt they were more stable tenants (which, I must admit they were!) and they just about always had children.

As for the OP, if I managed to get public housing I would move on once circumstances change. There are so many people out there who actually need it. I'm not sure about the other states but I know here you don't really get to choose where you live. I like having the freedom to choose where I live.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Merla View Post
    Though children in their very nature can be a risk. You may have the most perfect most well behaved toddler in the world but I bet he/she still has accidents when toilet training, spills a drink, throw a toy, decide to "redecorate" the walls, or empty out the bath water all over the floor. If your a landlord with a property with carpets young children are a risk because their unpredictable in their very nature. I understand why people think of young children as a risk, especially as they don't know you or your child.

Even as a couple we had to apply for 15 properties before we got our current one, for the simple reason that we had a single income and a young child. It's not fair by any means but landlords don't have any insensitive for taking on a larger risk (actual or perceived), so why would they?

I also know many uni students who have really struggled to find housing for the same reason as there perceived as "high risk" simply by the fact that there all studying and have low incomes.
    And well earning professionals with high income and no responsibility in the form of dependents would NEVER have a party, spill a drink, use illicit drugs or create any mess at all...guaranteed... I personally know of at least three of these "ideal" rental households where all of the above occurs every single weekend. They are expensive properties too. (Of course.)

The point is, it doesn't come down to the fact that there are kids in the picture- it comes down to how their parents/carers take responsibility for them. Likewise with pets really. My kids have done all of the above- yet I had an inspection recently, with wonderful feedback because there there was zero evidence of any "damage"; I, as the tenant, take responsibility for making sure that spills are cleaned up, carpets are professionally steam cleaned regularly, any scribble on the walls is removed without damage to the paint (Magic Erasers- every parent should have 20 packets of these things in their cupboard, they're incredible!!) and so on. My carpet endures lot of crumbs, but vacuum cleaners were a wonderful invention And sure the bath water has overflowed a few times, but that's why bathrooms have tiles...I don't know about you but I don't bath my kids in the lounge room very often

If you go around eliminating every prospective tenant who has a child, a pet, or is studying- particularly in city areas- statistically you are wiping out most of the population. I'm just saying that it's unrealistic to judge people on these factors. Everyone who has kids now was once a childless person, and most single parents were in relationships at some time or another. Your entire character doesn't change because you have a kid. If anything you probably make MORE effort to maintain your home because you want it nice for your kids. I know I do.

Sometimes I just wish that more landlords could see we're not going out looking for a place to trash when we apply to rent their property, we're looking for a HOME for our families. Sure there are some tenants who do the wrong thing, but there's plenty of homeowners who see it as their moral right to harass the entire neighbourhood because they can't be evicted. (Have unfortunately met a few.) But again, they are a TINY minority, but I bet home owners on here wouldn't like perfect strangers assuming that they will be a certain way simply because of their status. It's not a nice feeling to be looked down upon like that.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MermaidSister For This Useful Post:

delirium  (11-07-2011),HarvestMoon  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why has my post gone up 3 times? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could a mod please reduce it to one post as it is somewhat embarrassing to take up that much screen space lol.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MermaidSister For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (11-07-2011),share a book  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    LOL

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorted

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MermaidSister For This Useful Post:

share a book  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am about to apply.. I have had a pretty rough couple of years just passed.. I was employed full time in a management position earning good money but had a complete mental break down due to bullying and harassment in my workplace, I had a complete break Down- I was diagnosed with agoraphobia, severe depression, severe anxiety, post traumatic stress syndrome.. I went through a year of counciling and lost my job. In this time I fell pregnant and my fiancée decided that he didn't want a wife or family and left me. I had to prepare for a baby on my own with my only income being new start allowance until my son was born. I couldnt pay the rent for my apartment (it was $260 per week) and was given a notice to vacate so i moved to my dads house for 4 months of the pregnancy. He kicked me out because he needed the money- rented the house to friends for $350 per week. Luckily my mother took me in. Now I'm stuck in a small country town called Bulahdelah with no drivers license, no way of buying my own groceries (unless I want to pay top $$ at the local Iga. I can't access a doctor for my son or myself and I can't get any councilling. My mental health is going down the drain again. I'm having anxiety attacks. I'm currently on the disability support pension at the moment and need to be in a area closer to facilities (I can't catch public transport due to my condition) do you think that I would qualify for priority housing? I can't really do units as it will aggravate my condition. My son is 9 months old :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma2ajem View Post
    this may come across as harsh but IMO if you are in the position to rent privately then i really think you should move out to make room for someone who really needs it how would you feel if it were u waiting for a house and u knew there was a family in there that could afford to rent privately but your left in a refuge/ caravan whatever while waiting i think it is really selfish to choose to stay
    I saw the damage caused to my children by instability of housing, therefore am not willing to risk putting them back into the uncertainty of the private rental market where we could be asked to move on at any time. I would love to buy a place, but whilst I have children I will not risk returning to private rentals.

The house we are in is too small for us, and several times I have considered looking at private rentals. Then I have a reality check and decide it is not worth the risk of instability again. My children are currently safe and secure here. If we rejoin the roller coaster of private rentals, we'll be back to moving every year or two - and changing schools each time. It just isn't worth it.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 09-05-2012 at 22:55.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

tea&toast  (08-06-2012)