+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The answer to freeing up more housing spots is not booting 'undeserving' people (that in itself is subjective). We need to address why rent is so high i.e buying is becoming unobtainable now, so there is huge demand for rental and landlords see dollar signs.

Personally I would like to see a formula for rent, like a ceiling price, monitored by a body. Based on the suburb, number of bedrooms, size of yard etc etc. LL's then couldn't charge obscene prices. I also think the first home owners should be increased to make buying easier.

These measures would help to ensure people could afford and get access to private rental and move on from public housing so others can take their place.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-07-2011),Lemonhead  (10-07-2011),LoveLivesHere  (10-07-2011),MamaC  (11-07-2011),MermaidSister  (10-07-2011),naebie  (10-07-2011),shelle65  (11-07-2011),sunnyflower  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not too sure, but I think that in NSW they've phased out the 'handing down' of houses.

My mum is in a DOH house, as is my uncle. Market rent for a 2 b/r unit is about $285 a week, give or take, and when you have 50 applicants for each, Throw into the mix the fact that many of these places only offer 3 or 6 month leases and there is no wonder that those who get into public houses don't want to get out...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naebie For This Useful Post:

delirium  (10-07-2011),missie_mackxxxx  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    Oh hon, I was once like you and oh how at times I wish I still was but unortunately i grew up and had my rose coloured glasses removed and realised that not every one gets what they want no matter how hard they work for it.

i read your other posts on here too about having assets and be ok if you spilt up, unfortuantely when kids are involved in splits its not always as easy as you would think.

I had a lovely home, ex DH and I worked hard, I had it all. But wanted a family had my DD and she is sick and disabled slowly every thing that once seemed so fab and EASy to get suddenly started to slip away.

The world is NOT black and white there is grey area in every thing it took me a long time to see that but now I have i see it in everything.

I dont live in housing comision housing i am going to be renting privately as the waiting lists are huge. I would be over the moon to get a housing comision house. Even though at 22 I was buying my own home, owned our cars out right and didnt want for anything, Now im pushing 30 a single mum to a sick disabled child and suddenly I look back and realise what a silly little cow i used to be, when i looked down on others, I look back at my attitude when i was up to about the age of 24 and I want to go back and slap my self to wake up and realise how little i knew
    Calling someone "hon" who is older then you is rather silly to me...
    I am sorry for the hardships you have gone through..but
    to compare your life and situation to mine ..is ..well rather pointless ..

I am not meaning to look down at others..just giving my opinion/view
    Black and white...shades of grey ..to me CAN mean a wonderful way of making excuses for things

Of course you don't always get what you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no issue with people needing housing..but I do have a problem with it being handed down to generation after generation...just like welfare ...

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    Calling someone "hon" who is older then you is rather silly to me...
    I am sorry for the hardships you have gone through..but
    to compare your life and situation to mine ..is ..well rather pointless ..

I am not meaning to look down at others..just giving my opinion/view
    Black and white...shades of grey ..to me CAN mean a wonderful way of making excuses for things

Of course you don't always get what you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no issue with people needing housing..but I do have a problem with it being handed down to generation after generation...just like welfare ...

I have no idea how old you are, or if you think I am silly, Your posts remind me of how i used to think when i was 19.

You may think its rather pointless but fact is you dont know that your life wil always be how it is, sh*t happens it may happen to you one day to.

I dont need or want for you to be sorry for my hardships theyare not hard ships they are things that pop up in life that have made me look at the world differntly made me grow up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just to put it out there to all these people who seem to think landlords are these rich property barons who charge ridiculous amounts of rent to torture people the average landlords are mums and dads like me who work their butts off to try and secure an investment for their families future, we own a $550,000 rental house about 20km outside Sydney CBD it rents for $600 per week, 3 bedroom clad home with garage, average block, updated kitchen and bathroom walk to station, we borrowed 80% and pay approx $700 a week for the mortgage plus rates, insurance, land tax and maintenance , one of the reasons there is a lack of rental properties is quite frankly most people can't afford to buy them when you work out all the costs involved, and yes we have to be fussy with tenants because if they don't pay their rent on time we would be screwed! if the government made it easier to invest buy lowering stamp duty and tax benefits then more investors would come back to property and there would be more supply and less demand

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Yes, I agree, and I did say it's become unobtainable to buy, thus why demand for renting has gone thru the roof. But not all LL's have a mortgage, ours owns the property outright. At the end the LL has a house that has increased in value from 600k to 1m and that's a huge asset. People wouldn't rent out if there weren't advantages.

I can totally understand you wanting to ensure the tenants have the wages to pay the rent. Hell, I would too. But to me, it shouldn't matter if the tenant is a single mum, partnered, with children, no children, 18, 35 or 60. If they can pay the rent then they can pay... and I'm not saying for a moment you descriminate, but I do say lots do, and that is the crux of the argument here - many 'stigmatised' groups can't access private so stay in public housing thru necessity. My reasoning is that we need to address the private market in order to free up dept housing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MermaidSister  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes, I agree, and I did say it's become unobtainable to buy, thus why demand for renting has gone thru the roof. But not all LL's have a mortgage, ours owns the property outright. At the end the LL has a house that has increased in value from 600k to 1m and that's a huge asset. People wouldn't rent out if there weren't advantages.

I can totally understand you wanting to ensure the tenants have the wages to pay the rent. Hell, I would too. But to me, it shouldn't matter if the tenant is a single mum, partnered, with children, no children, 18, 35 or 60. If they can pay the rent then they can pay... and I'm not saying for a moment you descriminate, but I do say lots do, and that is the crux of the argument here - many 'stigmatised' groups can't access private so stay in public housing thru necessity. My reasoning is that we need to address the private market in order to free up dept housing.
    Its hard though, I can see where the landlords are coming from. When you have 10 applications on a house you will naturally choose the lowest risk applicant, and that's often DINK's, 2 working professionals or a couple with good income. What we were told when looking is most landlords consider pets and children to be a risk, and will give properties to a childless petless person over others whenever possible.

It's not fair, if you can pay the rent then that is what really matters, but at the end of the day renting can be a liability to the owner, especially if they have a loan to service, and they will pick the applicant that appears to be the lowest risk.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Merla For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There are however, landlords like mine who I know for fact owns multiple properties around Sydney, which were purchased DECADES ago for dirt cheap prices (even in relation to wages of the time- this was a super working class area once upon a time...)

He is making a mint on them. $380/week at the cheapest, for one bedroom, and rising...and they are rundown sh!tty dumps because he won't spend a cent on maintaining them. So why rent this place, you ask? Because I needed a roof over my head and after over a year of looking and applying, this was the only place that would accept me. And the owner didn't know I had a child. (Bless the property manager.) Coincidence?

If rentals weren't so goddamn hard to come by public housing wouldn't be so needed. I never, ever thought I would set foot inside a DOH office, but I did. NOT because I couldn't afford a private rental- because no-one would approve me for one!!

I totally understand people who do get housed not wanting to go through that again. The fear of homelessness...it is indescribable. Being a white Australian, from a respectable area, with decent levels of education, not a likely target for discrimmination, I just never thought it could happen to me.

As for the whole "Well I was set up before I had kids"- so were my parents. I've told the story before, but I will tell it again if I need to. We had everything- a house, a car, a nice life. Then fatal illness struck. What would you do if your husband was killed tomorrow? It's not all about money, either. The issue of maintaining your standard of living vs. actually being there to be a parent, maintain your mental health and support your kids emotionally rears its head in situations like these and makes things ever so complicated.

And having a stable job does not guarantee you approval for a private rental. You are still a single income applicant. I have been told directly by a RE agent (when i was partnered) that her landlords prefer double income applications because they can fall back on the other person's income if one loses their job (which makes no sense to me- do they think the other person's income will magically double to allow them to afford the whole place on their own?). But they are under no obligation to tell you this. Apparently being single makes you less deserving of a decent home.

Not to mention patronising to assume we are so stupid we would actually apply for a place we can't afford. *I* know my own budget and expenses but a landlord makes the call on what I can and can't afford. Yes it bothers me. Housing of a decent standard should not be a privilege, it is a basic right and one this country can afford.

Last vent- "My tax dollars"?? Where do people get the idea that no-one who lives in public housing works or has worked for substantial periods in the past? I may as well say that age pensioners shouldn't have the right to medical care because *my* tax money is paying for it, and it is ok for me to assume that they have never put a cent towards the economy or have any intention of doing so in the future. In past generations the majority of women didn't work, why was it ok for them to access services if they "Weren't contributing"? Ah right, they were raising children, as are many people in public housing. Apparently that isn't valued anymore

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MermaidSister For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-07-2011),delirium  (10-07-2011),Nowhere  (11-07-2011),shelle65  (11-07-2011),spoon  (11-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I agree with everything you have said mystics, all very true.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MermaidSister  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Honestly, if we got a house for rent at $60 a week I'd stay in it forever!!!
    but it wouldnt be $60 a week unless chris was earning $240 a week if it were in housing.