+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I think things are getting very off topic here, the original question was whether you would 'never' give up public housing even if you were in a position to rent privately.
    So all the discussion about not being able to get private rental etc is null and void, obviously if you are unable to get private rental due to low income, 6 million kids etc then you are clearly NOT in a position to rent privately.

Nobody on here has said that public housing should not be available for those that need it.
    I don't think it's gone off topic. We are discussing WHY many don't leave public housing i.e. can't access private rental, are single and can't afford private...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I have never been a single mum, but a number of friends are. There are lots of barriers to working, particular prior to school age. By the time they pay child care, transport to work, uniforms etc etc they are only marginally ahead, unless they are in a high paid job. Many CC centres have huge waiting lists. Some rural areas don't have after school care. Some don't have family to babysit. So many will work for a small amount to have their children in CC 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. Some think the 'best life' isn't having a child in care 50 hours a week (and that is no judgment to working mums, just saying how opinions on what a child needs, are different to some)

I'm not saying women (single and partnered) should never return to work. I'm simply explaining the very real barriers.
    i totally understand that and i did write in a previous post when children are younger it is not always possible but im talking about when your child goes to school and your still making excuses i am a childcare worker and i dont encourage anyone to put a baby/young child in care for 50 hrs per week unless necessary but when it comes to having a older child things are different

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exactly. We weren't talking about young kids, only school age ones. And you can't tell me that $200 a year school fees and maybe $100 a year uniform means that you have to be on a high wage to be ahead financially.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm gave my opinion on public housing and ppl have a right to an opinion. I have lived it and seen what it does to ppl, yes in some cases it us what ppl need, yes in some cases ppl will need to spend a long time in public housing. But it's ppls fear of living out of public housing when they can afford to that I'm concerned about. When my mum left public housing I wanted her unit, I was young pregnant and broke. My mum refused she told me if you take this unit you will be stuck in this cycle like I was for years and years. And she was right now looking back I'm glad I didn't take it.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (10-07-2011),Pinkzy  (10-07-2011),twotrunks  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma2ajem View Post
    i totally understand that and i did write in a previous post when children are younger it is not always possible but im talking about when your child goes to school and your still making excuses i am a childcare worker and i dont encourage anyone to put a baby/young child in care for 50 hrs per week unless necessary but when it comes to having a older child things are different
    You may want to look at your spelling

I'm a CC worker too. When mine was under school age I had her in daycare and went to work. If I was on a 6am start I'd take her with me then her daycare bus would pick her up from my work at 8am and take her to her centre. If I was on a 6pm finish her daycare bus would drop her to me at my centre at 5pm in the afternoon.

I worked up until the day before I had her then returned to work when she was only just at the right age for the toddler room. I then worked and when she went to school that company agreed to let me do a job-share position where I worked from 9 to 2 then the other one did until 6 each day and I could take her with me on school holidays when the person I was doing job-share with could have the schoolies room while I did full day in the Preschool room which was my regular room.

Then that company was taken over. I had no before and after school care and limited access to vacation care. They said we couldn't work there unless we did full time on a rotating roster. They also took her school off the bus list. I'm a single mother. My child has additional needs. It's HARDER to work when they are at school if you can't find care outside school hours! I went from being available during childcare open hours to being available from 9am to 2pm during the school term only.

ETA: I am LUCKY to have been able to purchase before it was made difficult to work by inflexible employers or I would not have been approved a loan and would have had no choice but to remain in public housing. It comes down to good timing and a little luck together with some hard work. My child attends a private school too so our fees are somewhat more than described
    Last edited by share a book; 10-07-2011 at 15:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma2ajem View Post
    i totally understand that and i did write in a previous post when children are younger it is not always possible but im talking about when your child goes to school and your still making excuses
    I'm not making excuses, I'm offering explanations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To be honest i have never rented from public housing myself but am currently staying with my mum who is in public housing.We are at the moment looking for a private rental as we need more space.We told the public housing people i am here and the rent has risen.

The reason why so many people stay i guess is that private rent is soooo friggen expensive,when i was on my own with ds renting,the rent was half my income.There was never any money left over just to actually have a life with.So i can fully understand why they stay ,i don't think you really sit around and think of nameless, faceless people on a wait lsit, you do whats best for your family.So yeah it's not right but i understand why it's happening.I really think the gov should do something about the rate of private rentals because it's just getting ridiculous...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

MermaidSister  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I can understand in a way where maybelline is coming from. I grew up in a housing commission area, so perhaps my view is a little tainted, but *IF* I could get my children out of public housing, I would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know people living in public housing (huge home, quite lovely to look at from the outside, very close to a major shopping centre etc) and they do not need to be there. They haven't for years. It's these type of people I think should be forced into the private rental market since they can afford it and since another family who genuinely needs that home could have it.

I think it's unbelievably selfish to stay in public housing when you don't need to Like I said in my last post, I think the guidelines and "policing" of public housing residents needs to be a lot stricter, not to mention fairer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would think that as soon as you could afford to live elsewhere you would??
    as arent the waiting lists huge? i would want as many people as possible to get the same opportunity that the people in the houses now have.

i dont know much about public housing though, is it really cheap? and i read some people say they cant be kicked out ever once they secure a house??

ofcourse anyone in those houses need or needed it at a time & should stay as long as they need too!
    no one should be forced out, but no one should abuse the privilege either