+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Southside of Brisbane, school options, help.

Hi all,
    I have a 3 year old boy, due to enter prep in 2013, and a baby girl. We have searched high and low for school options on the southside of Brisbane- we live in Moorooka. Our local state school (that we are in the catchment for) doesn't seem to be an option due to poor academic outcomes & bullying issues within the school.
    We are not Catholic/ or aligned with any other church, so that limits our option further. We have looked at private schools for prep-12 but the cost for 2 kids and driving to 2 different schools seems beyond our reach financially.
    Are there any schools out there I haven't thought of yet?

A) Ideally we are looking for co-ed, prep to 12, but I can't see any in our area/ budget so far. I'm happy to drive to the school if it was a great option.
    B) Any schools that you know of that have a bus pickup to our area?
    C) We are looking at moving to other parts of Brisbane, so any suggestions for good areas to move to (with DH working in inner city) also welcome. With good public primary and high school outcomes. I guess within 10km or so of CBD.

Many thanks...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Citipointe Christian College- Carindale, Brisbane?

In addition to my previous question. Has anyone had good/ bad experiences with this school? I am interested as it is P-12, but a little concerned as to how religious it may be. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    bump you can always apply for out of catcment for other nearby schools just go to a few local schools and go on tours you will get a feel of what you like

and you never know mooroka may be a good school to some it's all indiviudual

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Zeesmum,
    I'm also after the same information, although i'm a few more years behind (daughter is 1yo). I got very excited when I read about the curriculum at Citipointe, but also concerned about the strong religious overtones. I am religious myself, but not really into 'evangelical charismatic' churches. Does anyone have any information about this school?

Other good options that I have found are a few Catholic schools, St Martins (co-ed primary) and San Sisto (girls secondary) in Carina. Not sure where the boys go after primary? Looks like a good school, had a few mums tell me it's really good and has a strong anti-bullying policy. Also been told St Thomas in Camp Hill is a great co-ed primary, but no idea where they go for secondary?

A really good one is Sheldon College - Prep to Yr 12 and co-ed...it is a fair way out, but think they have a bus system. A friend of mines children go there and they said once they sent the kids there they excelled, personally and academically.

Would love to hear other peoples views/experiences!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump!
    Also looking for a good school for my currently 2&1/2y/o & 4m/o. I have heard good reports of Gumdale State School and am aiming to move to that area before I have to apply but am interested in reading other peoples views on primary schools. It's easy enough to check out marks and compare on the web but the social side etc, you can't really find on the web.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've heard good things about Wellers Hill Primary School, it's not P-12 though. Not sure exactly how it works with the catchment, but it's not far from Moorooka.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Megsy33  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Wellers Hill has a really good rep. It's really strict on having to live within the catchment area though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, i am interested in where you heard the info on Moorooka ss as we also live in Moorooka and have a boy due to start in 2013. I have actually visited the school and spoken to both the vice principal and principal and found them to be really accomodating. I have toured the school as well and bullying didnt seem to be a likely issue as the school is huge but only has a small population and there are different separated areas for the younger and older kids. Of course the teachers are going to want to highlight the good and not the bad. As i dont know anyone who actually goes there i am very interested in hearing what people have to say.
    Yeronga ss is another option and i have heard quite good things about it but it is a drive away as opposed to a walk.
    Wellers Hill is a very small school that has a great reputation but as it is at capacity you have to live in the zone to go there. I had friends whos' back fence was the end of the school zone and they couldnt get in!
    Good luck with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've heard great things about Seton College at Mount Gravatt East.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Schools around oxley, corinda are good. They are prep-7 and personally think seperate primary and high schools are best (so kids arent small fish in big sea all the way up until yr 12). Think that is south west though? These are good state schools good luck!!