View Poll Results: Are you afraid of labour?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, mine have been okay

28 35.44%
  • Yes, I am absolutely terrified but hope I can cope

15 18.99%
  • Yes, but I know it has to be done and have coped in the past

16 20.25%
  • Yes, so much that I've asked for an elective Ceasar

4 5.06%
  • Other

16 20.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I voted Other.

After my birth trauma with my first and receiving 4th degree tears i wasnt scared of labour the second time around i was looking forward to doing everything differently, and i was looking forward to showing the Drs that i could do it vaginally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I voted Yes, so much that I've asked for an elective Ceasar based on my experiences.

I was petrified of labour the first time around and unfortunately, my fears were nothing compared to just how terrible, horrific and traumatic it actually was. I never, ever want to feel that sort of pain or terror ever again in my entire life. I have PTSD as a result.

The second time around, I opted for an elected CS. It was the most wonderful, beautiful experience of my life and the pain of recovery afterwards was nowhere near what I was told it would be. It was also *nothing* compared to the 6 or so months I spent recovering from my first VB. I thought I'd be sore for at least 6 weeks after my CS but I only needed very minor pain relief a few days after. If I ever have another child, it will be a CS again without question.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (07-06-2012),scarymarygoldfish  (07-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had reasonably good labours 12hrs, 3hrs and 1hr but I still get nervous knowing how intense the pain can be.

My first labour was agony because I fought it the whole way, I didn't want an epi and had peth late in the labour. I do wish I had more pain relief for the first but couldn't handle someone sticking a needle in my spine.

My second was okay had a pretty good middy through out it and loads of ice.

My last labour was really good as I didn't fight it I just let the contractions happen and tried to relax as much as possible. So this is what I will try to do again.

The only thing for me with such a quick labour was the intensity of the pain builds up super quick. I was shaking uncontrollably after DS was born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The first time I experienced labour was for a Vbac and I honestly, hand on my heart can say I was not at all afraid of the thought of labour, nor the feeling of labour. To be honest, I was elated at the thought of being able to finally get a chance to experience labour and even though it hurt like hell, I wasn't fearful and it wasn't scarey and I suffered a very painful and extensive 3rd degree tear.

My second labour after the first Vbac, though having had the previous 3rd degree tear and subsequent issues, I still can say I honestly wasn't fearfull.

I find labour to be very empowering, not something I was afraid of, I am not a hero or a matyr I think a lot of my lack of fear had to do with being a Vbacer and wanting so badly to succeed in labour and birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wasnt the first time around, i was excited. But this time im going to have to fight for what i want, so it makes me a little scared. Im more worried about not getting what i want then the actual labour.

Ive been told i should be traumatised by the aftermath of DD's birth but im not. Its something i cant change so im not going to dwell on it. Im just preparing myself the second time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first labor I had no fear. It was long and ended in a hospital transfer for assistance (planned home birth), and there was a small amount of trauma.

This next labor (in 3ish months) I still have no real fears, I don't want another transfer, but I'm filling myself with positivity surrounding a successful homebirth instead of concern at the possibility of another transfer.

Birth doesn't frighten me, I trust my body, I trust my baby and I trust my care providers. Pain doesn't frighten me, complications concern me but I can't dwell on that, I have worked through our plan of action for any major birth complications and I am comfortable with what we would do if that did arise.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Merla For This Useful Post:

scarymarygoldfish  (07-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It scares the crap out of me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was so scared and the best advice I got from a friend was that I was designed to do it. This helped me so much. I didn't have a long or complicated labour and managed drug free. I actually can't remember the pain, DH asked me how it was straight after and I couldn't tell him. I just felt so strong and empowered at the end.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Bubhub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

himherandhe  (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I need another option- "NO, I love giving birth and I'd do it all the time but I don't want to end up with that many children!!"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I need another option- "NO, I love giving birth and I'd do it all the time but I don't want to end up with that many children!!"
    Gold!