View Poll Results: Are you afraid of labour?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, mine have been okay

28 35.44%
  • Yes, I am absolutely terrified but hope I can cope

15 18.99%
  • Yes, but I know it has to be done and have coped in the past

16 20.25%
  • Yes, so much that I've asked for an elective Ceasar

4 5.06%
  • Other

16 20.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Are you afraid of labour?

Are you terrified of labour?

For those of us who've had more than one child, we're often aware of what we're in for, but I don't subscribe to the "everyone says you forget the pain" comment you hear so frequently. I think that it must have originated from a man

I noticed another thread exploring "tokophobia", which is apparently the fear of labour. It got me thinking about the fact that I do actually dread every labour.

Overall, I've been lucky to have 7 natural births with healthy babies. But I pointed out to someone the other day that I would rather absail down a huge cliff (though terrified of heights) than go through labour again.

But we don't have a choice! And seeing how people come out of Ceasar's, I'd rather go for the natural than those, too.

What do you think? I'll try to add a poll.

PS. I have about a week or so to go so am obviously obsessed with labour!
    Last edited by mrsd; 07-07-2011 at 17:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I need to vote for 2 really...my first I was petrified...the last 4wks of my pregnancy the mere entertaining of the thought had me vomiting from nerves!! I believe as well as my health it would have also contributed to my bodies bad turns & ultimately emergency csecr on the day DS was born.

This time I'm pumped, excited, thrilled & can't wait to be honest!! I'm going for a VBAC this one. Not because I feel a need to birth that way but just to experience it & recover quicker. I have taken steps to fight my fear this time too but...& my lack of ability to experience last time takes away my fear & replaces it with prue excitement

Thanks
    Reviews
    i am not petrified, but i had an aweful labour with my youngest it was so painful i thought i would die.(i do have a reasonably high pain threshhold though) and the labour was only five hours but i was forced to lay down as there was meconium in the waters.all i hope is there is no meconium this time or else id be petrified.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Before I had my first I was a little nervous of the unknown but it's not bothered me either time.
    Last edited by zombiekitty; 07-07-2011 at 18:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am petrified and know as soon as I'm utd again I'll be even more scared! I hated every second of labour with Ds and the recovery from a vaginal birth even more! Ds was failed vacuum and so forceps used! It was awful! I'm still feeling effects 6 months on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive had 2 babies, both naturally (no epidural) and throughout BOTH pregnancys i was terrified...up until the last 2 weeks (3 with the 2nd) when i didnt care anymore...i just wanted them OUT!!

I think i was terrified both times for DIFFERENT reasons. 1st birth, 15 hour, posterior, 3rd degree tear and AWFUL recovery and not knowing, and the 2nd...cos i KNEW!!

Some people say they werent as scared with 2nd, 3rd, 4th pregnancys cos they know what to expect, but i was MORE scared cos i knew!!

I think its completely natural to be scared of giving birth. Apart from not knowing what could happen to you or your bub medically... LOOK AT WHAT HAS TO HAPPEN!!! Pushing something the size of a watermelon through something the size of a lemon...thats gotta tense you up just a little.

The whole 'you forget the pain' for me was quite real. NOT the minute bub comes out the over time. As time goes by i forget more and more about labour and even pregnancy...why else would i have gone back a second time

Haing said all that, while you are IN labour, you really have no control over much and you just try to get through it...not to scare anyone who is doing for the first time Labour is a GREAT word for it...it will be the hardest thing you've EVER had to do in your life but look at what you get out of it!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was REALLY excited.

I don't know how excited I'll be the second time around though.
    Last edited by scarymarygoldfish; 07-07-2011 at 18:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wasn't with my first, (couldn't wait actually)and had a very hard time laboring him- we both almost died.
    Second time around, the thought was in the back of my mind but everything was uneventful -(Dr only had to dislodge bibs shoulders and she slid out) though, it was a different hospy.

Third time round...I'll be birthing at the same hospy as the first- and I'm a little nervous-but I know what I want so I'll have more control over the situation I hope.

proudmama is offline some pinkness is finally entering our lives xoxo
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i am petrified and this is round three for me LMAO

my first i was excited and had no idea what i was in for until that first major contraction hit and then it was 27hrs, used peth and DS was posterior resulting in 3rd degree tear

my second i had a 'she'll be right' attitude and hadn't necessarily forgotten the pain of labour but down played it to myself (i blame the peth for making my memory of the whole experience a little hazy) so i could stay focused on the job ahead - only 6hrs this time with the aid of gas and no real dramas and i remember grabbing DH by the shirt and saying through gritted teeth "NEVER AGAIN"

and here i am 18mths later 4 weeks out from my due date - and well freaking out - and i have no idea why - i know i can do it - i've managed to survive twice now but i think my memory is a little clearer on whats coming up so....

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my first, I had no idea what to expect, and I was a little bit anxious but overall felt relaxed thinking that I was in good hands. Her birth turned out to be very painful and traumatic.
    With my second, for the most part of my pregnancy I was really, really excited to experience labour naturally, and as far as labours go it was amazing - 2 hours pre-labour, 5 hours active, pain level at a 5/10 until I hit transition and only a 30 minutes pushing. I was ecstatic afterwards and healed quickly.
    BUT - I never want to do it again and the thought of getting pregnant and giving birth again makes my stomach knot. It was easy, but being faced with doing it again I'd be very scared. It was an easy labour, but the pregnancy and the birth were both hard on my body and I was really spent physically. I have no desire to do it again, as beautiful as it was, especially compared to DD's labour which was a disaster from start to finish.