+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My private hospital birth cost us $250 because we used a no-gap OB, ask your health insurance company for some suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went public and had fabulous care - I live in Tasmania. I had lots of complications of the non-life threatening kind so seemed to spent lots of time at the hospital!!! Gave me a chance to get to know just about all the midwives and the OBs that were there at the time. Due to GD I had about 6 admissions to hospital for management each time I chose to be a private patient so I could have a single room. At the end of the day it cost me nothing.

I will use the public system this time round due to the cost of private care and the changes to the Medicare system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went public for both my kids, both c/ sections! And I couldn't fault them, especially when I spent 5 weeks in hospital before my daughter was born, my SIL went private they payed over 6k in hospital and ob fees, she also had a c/section there was no difference in our care! I think private is a crock!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dicey View Post
    I honestly don't understand private health cover, it's so expensive! I've always gone Public and I've been happy with my care so far.
    I guess it would help to have the cover there if you required expensive surgery and couldn't wait to be put on a waiting list, but wow, just looking at some of the prices here, I am dumbfounded! You pay that ON TOP of private health cover?

I think if your pregnancy has no real complications, then I would avoid private and go public. I'm going through a midwife team at a public hospital, and so far my care has been great. I'm pretty relaxed about my birth experience though, mainly because I don't know any better and I tend to trust the people who know what they're doing.
    Personally i'm going private again
    Easy to say "if you have no complications' but that's hard to know With DD i had a "text book baby&pregnancy"(OBs words) until 35 weeks when bub was transverse lie breech meaning because she didn't turn by 37 weeks i had a Csection at 38 (when she was still head & butt in my rib cage).
    Do not underestimate the chance to chose your doctor in this situation. My whole birthplan was "What ever Dr Tooth says" because of the trust i had & relationship developed over all those appointments.

This time i've moved so between 12 & 32 weeks have been seeing flying doctor midwives then meet a new Ob who i've chosen because he sounds just like (my first OB) Dr Tooth on bubhub reviews(found though google). Also really looking forward to stay in larger private hospital as there lactation program sounds fabulous & i could stay in 3weeks(if i wanted) with out being kicked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am going with a private (independent) midwife. I am planning to birth at home, but if i was to go to a hospital i would prefer to take my own private midwife, who i have seen throughout my pregnancy, than have a private Ob who may turn up at the end of the labour. My midwife will be with me throughout labour and birth, wherever that may be.

Just another option you may not have thought of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    I am going with a private (independent) midwife. I am planning to birth at home, but if i was to go to a hospital i would prefer to take my own private midwife, who i have seen throughout my pregnancy, than have a private Ob who may turn up at the end of the labour. My midwife will be with me throughout labour and birth, wherever that may be.

Just another option you may not have thought of.
    This is what we are doing as well. Which hospital are you going to? I am
    so happy with our chosen midwife and we get to have all our antenatal appointments at home as well!