+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cost wise I paid:
    *$4,000 OBS management fee - due at 22weeks (I got appx. $500 reimbursed from medicare)
    *$100 per appt. (appx. $35-$45 reimbured per appt. from medicare)
    *$250 excess for my hospital stay
    *$220 paeditrician visit - needed prior to discharging
    *$300 per scan (12 weeks, 20 weeks and I have a third at 33. Cant remember what I got reimbured but it was something)

An epidural would of cost: $500 ( I didnt have one).

I adored my Obstetrician, he was amazing - kept DH & I sane throughout our first pregnancy was worth every dollar. I would happily pay him the $4000 + appts again! I was more than disappointed with my hospital stay though. I was put in a single room (was a bit disappointed about not getting a dbl but I did understand that), was pretty much left alone from the get-go, was forgotten about for obs, from the physio etc, forgot to complete my dischagre paperwork needed for the baby bonus. But mostly I felt like kind of a burden upon the midwives (xpt one who saved me the night before I discharged and actually spent time with DS and I to ensure he was latching properly). This is more to do with the staff than the hospital itself, and you will get that in both private and public.

I dont know what I will do with my next one (when i get pregnant!) and I am in different state not that have an amazing birthing centre, but having the one on one care that a private obs can provide you during pregnancy is really appealing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, private is expensive, but I think it was worth it for us. Mind you last time the safety net thingie meant we were only out of pocket around $1000 at the end of the day. This time around it will be more than that unfortunately.

The advantages:
    - Appointments always with the same Ob (or a covering locum Ob who has access to his/her notes - I had to see a different Ob in the same practice twice during the pregnancy - once when I was in a car accident at 26 weeks & again for a routine check when my Ob was away). This means that we can discuss issues over a number of consultations, without having to start all over again each visit.
    - Lovely hospital environment (although some public hospitals aren't too bad either)
    - Longer stay in hospital - my sister in law was kicked out of hospital (public) after 2 days & struggled big time to breastfeed despite lots of home visits from midwives/etc - I was in hospital for nearly 5 days and my son for a total of 8 days and I got heaps of excellent help to establish breastfeeding which was really important to me, but at risk as my son was not allowed to feed for the first 4 days (he was sick).
    - private room in hospital - only 3 rooms were shared rooms (max 2 women) and the rest of the ward was single rooms. In public I know there are usually a lot more double (or even 4 bed) rooms and I think that's the last thing I'd want with a newborn.

The list of pros & cons is different for everyone, those are just the most important things for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi and congrats! I'm 35 weeks along and am going private. My OB gap payment was $2500 (it's $3500 if you don't have private health insurance) and Medicare paid about $450 back. The fee covers all my appointments at the OB and the birth.

I paid a $500 excess for the hospital stay already, no more to pay there and that's for a private room for 4 or 5 nights, depending on what type of birth I have. My PHI (defence health) also paid for my ante-natal classes. It also covers a good chunk of the chiropractor fees I pay as I've had some back issues and also pays back some of my pregnancy massage costs (under remedial massage).

I like having an OB who knows me and my history, and being able to choose a great hospital close by.

Before I got pregnant I needed surgery for endometriosis and also was seeing an acupuncturist for fertility and to help recover from a miscarriage, so I guess you could say my PHI has more than paid for itself in the last year or two! It costs me about $1600 per year (before the 30% rebate at tax time) and I would think that after bub is born I would have claimed about $10k worth of stuff in 2 years! PHI is worth it if you need medical care and take advantage of the extras. I'll be off to the dentist & optometrist after bub arrives as well (I get 2 free pairs of glasses every 2 years or something like that).

Thanks
    Reviews
    To go private in south west sydney my out of pocket has been approx $2k and worth every cent. For me seeing the one person the whole way through is priceless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I posted earlier but just wanted to clarify as it seems to keep coming up...

I too am only seeing one OB...and I am going public.

I think for Public its the type of care that you are getting like Shared Care, Midwives, etc. I know in our Council area they have a wide variety of care options for Public so I dont think seeing one OB only is just for Private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I birthed in a public hospital and even though my care (particularly after care) wasn't up to best standard, I still wouldn't be convinced to go Private and have an Ob. The price you have to pay to receive quality maternity care in Australia is so not worth it, in my opinion.

If your wife is presenting with a low risk pregnancy, then there is always the option of birth centre/midwife led care at the hospital. I went through a birthing centre, never waited more than 15/20 minutes to see a midwife and got to have a decent and thorough appointment. My actual birth, as traumatic as it was for me at the time, I can't actually fault any of the midwives and even the Obstetrician who came in at the end. Despite a couple of issues, he did manage to do what he had to do quite well and I made a full recovery. I had an epidural, had to go into theatre for surgery and still didn't pay for anything.

It's entirely up to you. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going private if that's what you're comfortable with and some people prefer that extra comfort of longer stays, nicer hospital conditions etc, but I personally can't justify the cost of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there
    I went private both times and my OB wasn't there for either of the births, just the midwives. He did come for the stitches though for the first, the second the OB on duty did the stitches. So you are still not guaranteed the same OB, even for private.
    But I didn't go private for that reason, so didn't bother me. I wanted a private room, I could not handle sharing. I also got to stay for 6 days first time round, which I am sure is the reason I was able to breastfeed my baby who didn't want to latch on.
    While not much, you can also claim medcial expenses back at tax time (I think either 10 or 20% out of pocket costs).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had always wanted to go private, but we ended up falling pregnant about 18 months earlier then we'd planned, and didn't have our private health cover organised.

I ended up doing shared care and I couldn't have been happier.

I got to see the same doctor at my normal medical centre for each appointment, I got all my scans/tests bulk billed, and had great care at the hospital.

I had a private room for the first night of my stay (my DS was 5 weeks early, and I was only supposed to be staying in for monitoring for pre-eclampsia), waters broke the next morning. Spent almost 24 hours in the labour ward (great room by the way, and hubby was even given a roll out bed so he could stay with me). My epidural was fantastic. I even managed to get some sleep during the worst contractions and awoke refreshed for the hard work the next day.

After giving birth I was moved to another room, which unfortuantely I had to share with 3 other woman/babies. The hardest part about that was that my bub was in NICU and everyone else had their babies with them - but other then that it wasn't too bad, and I was only there for 2 nights.

My bubba got fanastic care in the NICU and was there for about 3 weeks.

Also, because my bubba was early, he had trouble breastfeeding. I had a one hour appointment with the lactation consultant after he came home and was able to breastfeed well - until I went back to work when he was 8 months.

I really couldn't complain at all, and total out-of-pocket cost = $0

Thanks
    Reviews
    3 babies in the private system.

My ob was fantastic, and surely one of the most affordable obs in Australia. He didn't have a management fee, and his initial consultation was $150 and $55 thereafter, both claimable on medicare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe how inexpensive all of your private experiences have been! We are looking at over $8,500 all up before any rebates! Our OB management fee is $6000 and then $500 for hospital excess then the anesthetist is about $2000! And that's not counting pediatrician fees and initial and final consultations either!