+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Whitestuff, pretty sure you can't do that! Going into private hospital, you would have had to under the care of a visiting obstetrician.

Private really ensures you have the care of one ob over the course of your pregnancy. Of course, there is always the possibility of the ob being rostered off if your wife has the baby out of hours or during their holidays, however, the ob usually will let you know who will be the replacement. My ob works in a practice with 2 other obs, and they take it in turns to do weekends. I have the option of meeting them prior to the birth.
    Check with your PHI what their coverage is like for the hospital you are booked into. i had no OOP for my hospital as it was "partnered" with my health fund. I also had only about $200 OOP for my anaesthetist who gave me my epidural. Remember that you may have a co payment or such to pay for nights in hospital. My PHI will need me to pay $250 per night, up to a total of $500 for my hospital stay. ($500 is the maximum I pay for my membership year though, so although I stay 4 nights, I am only having to pay 2). The money you pay at Obs appts will go towards your safety net. Once you reach about 2000 I think (probably wrong, but info is on medicare site), you get a substantially better rebate. Trips to your GP etc add to this safety net, so it is worth making sure you are registered as a family - just call medicare.
    Note also that if this is your first baby, you will need to check out your cover and find out when your wife will need to change cover to a family insurance. Usually it is about 10 weeks prior to the birth of baby. If you had twins, and weren't covered, then twin A is covered, but you need to pay for twin B. If you have a singleton, usually all is fine, however, if your bub needs to go into NICU, they need to be insured or else you will need to pay costs for their stay, which can be substantial. Note that once you have family cover, all children thereafter are covered.

Public means you have different options. You also will find that your care is covered under medicare. You have an option of shared care - where your wife has care shared between her GP and the Ob at the public hospital, or there is a midwife birthing suite, where the care is taken out only by midwives, but your wife must be in tip top shape and the pregnancy be progressing with no problems for this. You can also choose to have ob only care. The main difference is that with public hospital, you have no choice over the doctor you have. Each appointment can be a different doctor, and this can sometimes play havoc with continuity of care. HOWEVER, if there are no problems with the pregnancy, this is often a great way to go and no different opinions of care between the docs will arise.

You can choose to go private in a public hospital, however, you will still pay for your obs fees, and this usually will just mean you don't have much OOP for hospital stay.

Note, that the obstetricians who work in public also work in private, so you aren't necessarily missing out on quality of care. Going public doesn't mean that at all, however you lose the choice of doctor option.

HTH - hope it makes sense too!

Personally we are going private. I like being under one obstetrician, and I like the way she delivers care. I have a great rapport with her. I like that she knows any issues I have had previously and I don't have t go through the story every time I see her. I also trust her implicitly.

Note also, if you choose to go public, that you have the right to a second opinion if you do not agree with info that a doctor has said to you, or you are not so sure of their decision.

Good luck for you and your wife.
    Last edited by moongazer; 04-07-2011 at 12:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm in country WA and went public and was very happy with my care. I Did shared care with my GP and the Middies at the hospital and they were all fantastic!! I ended up with an emergency c-section at the regional hospital an hour away and they were all great too.

Had to share a twin room there for 2 nights, but then came back to the local hospital for another 5 nights where I had a room of my own. I can't fault the care I had and will be going the same way with No 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I honestly don't understand private health cover, it's so expensive! I've always gone Public and I've been happy with my care so far.
    I guess it would help to have the cover there if you required expensive surgery and couldn't wait to be put on a waiting list, but wow, just looking at some of the prices here, I am dumbfounded! You pay that ON TOP of private health cover?

I think if your pregnancy has no real complications, then I would avoid private and go public. I'm going through a midwife team at a public hospital, and so far my care has been great. I'm pretty relaxed about my birth experience though, mainly because I don't know any better and I tend to trust the people who know what they're doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went public last time and unfortunately I never will again.

For me I was left fully dilated for four hours as the only registrar on was busy. Dd was stuck high and when he finally observed me he didn't have the experience to attempt a forceps delivery so I had a very scary emergency c-section. This was at 3am and he was the most experienced doctor in the large hospital and it was too late to change to private patient or to demand an experienced ob.

When I went to the ward DH was told to leave as 6am wasn't visiting hours and I was put in a 4 bed room with 3 other women... Everything went even more downhill from there.

I also found on average 3hour wait to see prunlic ob throughout pregnancy - some weeks 2 hours, some four. Not because he was delivering just so many people waiting to see him.. And I never saw him again after he sent me up to be induced

So far going private longest I've waited is 15 minutes with only one other woman in the waiting room.

that's just my experience and I think the gamble if things go wrong going public in an overworked hospital system.
    Last edited by DecemberMum; 04-07-2011 at 14:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DecemberMum View Post
    I went public last time and unfortunately I never will again.

For me I was left fully dilated for four hours as the only registrar on was busy. Dd was stuck high and when he finally observed me he didn't have the experience to attempt a forceps delivery so I had a very scary emergency c-section. This was at 3am and he was the most experienced doctor in the large hospital and it was too late to change to private patient or to demand an experienced ob.

When I went to the ward DH was told to leave as 6am wasn't visiting hours and I was put in a 4 bed room with 3 other women... Everything went even more downhill from there.

I also found on average 3hour wait to see private ob throughout pregnancy - some weeks 2 hours, some four. Not because he was delivering just so many people waiting to see him.. And I never saw him again after he sent me up to be induced

that's just my experience and I think the gamble if things go wrong going public in an overworked hospital system.
    These are the sorts of stories that convinced me to go private again despite the cost.

I know a lot of people have fantastic experiences with public care and public hospitals, but the above scares me. Sorry you went through that mate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me and my wife were also thinking privet hospital. but I agree it's a bit stiff, I'm stil checking more hospitals..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks gazgotham, just glad we got through the hospital experience... Well hopefully my upcoming private stay will make up for last time.

It is an expensive decision to make, guess you just need to weigh up pros and cons and be aware of what can and occasionally does happen differently in the public system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm doing shared care with my GP and local public hospital. I pay nothing for my appointments as he bulk bills them. I will birth as a private patient in a public hospital at no cost. As my GP has admitting rights to the private hospital I will then be transferred there for my post natal care with a total $250 out of pocket plus the cost of one GP visit during the hospital stay.

I see the one doctor for my whole pregnancy and am then birth with the hospital midwives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi StevenewDad!

Congrats on your first bubs!

Public vs Private debate! Well there will always be the good, the bad and the ugly stories for both.

I am in VIC and I found that the only difference between going Priv or Pub was the cost and you got to stay in a room by yourself. Thats it. To see my Private OBs I would be waiting up to 2 hours to see him for 5 mins and I could not wrap my head around my I paid him so much to check my blood pressure.

My first was considered 'low risk' as firsts usually are, so I was set up in a lovely private hospy but if there was a problem with me or the baby that they couldnt handle I was to be shipped to the local public hospital as they have all the equipment there like NICU, etc.

At the Private Hospy I was forced to wait for 4 hours in excrutiating pain for an epi as there was no anatheseoligist available to do it. And it all went downhill from there with me ending up in respitory arrest and having to be intubated, etc.

With my 3rd I am going Public all the way. My OBs is a Private/Public Obs so I am getting the same level of care but for less money. Sure he may not be there to deliver bubs but there is always a chance that your OBs may not be there. As I am high risk (I am attempting a VBAMC) the hospy and midwives have been fabulous. I know that if there is any problems I will have all the people around necessary to look after me.

I researched the OBs and found him to be great. I researched all the hospys around and the Public was the best option. Sure I have to share a room but its only for a few days....I think I can cope with that

Best thing to do is ring around the hospitals and see what care they offer and what type of care you want. As its your first its so hard to know what you should do but you can always post on here to see what OBs and hospitals people used in your area and get feedback.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I paid absolutely nothing to have my baby....and I feel the only difference was that I saw different midwives vs. one Dr. TBH, I preferred it that way anyway because I was able to get opinions from several people instead of just one.

Had a perfect pregnancy, perfect birth (completely natural and no one tried to force me to use pain relief I didn't want to, and I didn't have any intervention I didn't want), and perfect after care and didn't pay a cent. Would do it again in a heart beat.

This was through the public system.