+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The Cost of Having a Baby Private?!

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping some of you are able to confirm the real costs of having a baby in a private hospital. My wife is 8 weeks and we've just selected our Obs. We've receievd a nice letter advising us that we will be looking at Obs fees of around $3k! We have HBF Maternity cover but it seems that this only covers part of the costs.
    What's your experience and does this sound normal? Am I missing something?

Thanks all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends where you are- some OB's in Sydney and Melbourne charge more than double that. Your private health fund only covers for inpatient (when you are in hospital) costs, and antenatal appt's and pregnancy management fees are outpatient costs. You also may have out of pocket expenses for scans, blood tests and hospital excess fees.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With my private insurance it covers all hospital fees ( excluding anasethiologist ) I had to pay $500 excess plus the pead fee when he came to look at baby in hospital, from my knowledge they dont cover Obgyn fees but you do get ( I think) a small percentage back from Medicare

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hello.

Welcome and congratulations to you and your wife

Sounds pretty normal to me.

We went private and for our OB the cost was $3k with $80 per visit. Only covered by medicare, not HCF. We'd get a portion of each visit back by medicare.

once we paid the $3k, it calculated towards our safety net (which I believe that does not happen any more) but it meant that after medicare, we were only paying $30 per OB visit. And we got aobut $2k back from medicare but I believe that have changed that rule also.

The cost of the private hospital we stayed at was over $6k but we didnt have to pay a cent of that as it was covered by HCF.

The only costs I had were for epidural $880 (got probbaly all up, about a third back. Some from medicare, some from HCF), the pead $300 (again some back from medicare and some from HCF) and because I had an emergency c/section, I also had $300 for assistant OB & $1500 for the anethatist.

Again with both of those extra costs, I got portions back from medicare and HCF.

All up I was probably out of pocket maybe 2-3 thousand? I didnt calculate it so not 100% sure but for us it was well worth it.

Good luck with everything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is expensvie

I'm in brisbane and have the top cover with MBF

My obstetrician fee was around 2.5k, and only got a few hundred back from medicare, nothing from MBF

Initially each visit cost me $75 with a portion refunded by medicare, but not much

Have now reached the medicare safety net, so do get the majority of that back at each appointment now.

The hospital stay is covered by MBF, but I have paid a $250 excess already.

If (god forbid) I have to have an epidural or a caesar, I will have to pay for that

Your baby will also be checked by a paedeatrician when they are born, and you'll be charged for that too.

Unfortunately you're not missing anything. I pay $160 a fortnight for top private health cover, and yet I still get charged a bucket load to have a baby. I constantly wonder why I bother, but can't bring myself to cancel my cover because I would hate myself is something then went wrong and me, my husband or my baby got stuck on a waiting list for important surgery or soemthing. Meh.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default We went public!

Hi there

We got the same lovely letter from the OB that we had chosen and nearly had a heartattack! We could not afford that especially because the payment was due at Christmas....

We decided to go public even though I had top HCF cover which includes maternity. I had great care and saw OBs/midwives throughout my pregnancy at no cost. I also ended up having an emergency c/s and a single room for my hospital stay at no cost.

I don't understand the public/private choice but that's just my opinion.

Good luck with everything and congratulations!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannonigans View Post
    Hello.

Welcome and congratulations to you and your wife

Sounds pretty normal to me.

We went private and for our OB the cost was $3k with $80 per visit. Only covered by medicare, not HCF. We'd get a portion of each visit back by medicare.

once we paid the $3k, it calculated towards our safety net (which I believe that does not happen any more) but it meant that after medicare, we were only paying $30 per OB visit. And we got aobut $2k back from medicare but I believe that have changed that rule also.

The cost of the private hospital we stayed at was over $6k but we didnt have to pay a cent of that as it was covered by HCF.

The only costs I had were for epidural $880 (got probbaly all up, about a third back. Some from medicare, some from HCF), the pead $300 (again some back from medicare and some from HCF) and because I had an emergency c/section, I also had $300 for assistant OB & $1500 for the anethatist.

Again with both of those extra costs, I got portions back from medicare and HCF.

All up I was probably out of pocket maybe 2-3 thousand? I didnt calculate it so not 100% sure but for us it was well worth it.

Good luck with everything
    We've got private health cover with MBF. I wanted to know what exactly we'd be out of pocket for so called them to ask. After a lot of umming and ahhing and "oh it varies for different hospitals" I named a couple of hospitals and they told me almost exactly this list here.

Unfortunately you're not missing anything. I pay $160 a fortnight for top private health cover, and yet I still get charged a bucket load to have a baby. I constantly wonder why I bother, but can't bring myself to cancel my cover because I would hate myself is something then went wrong and me, my husband or my baby got stuck on a waiting
    list for important surgery or soemthing. Meh.
    I think unless we get stuck at a hospital I really don't want to be at (and there's a hospital a few suburbs away I'm not keen on going anywhere near) we'll go public...fingers crossed I don't get sent there I sometimes wonder why we keep up the private health insurance too! We got it when we were both working full time so we didn't have to pay the extra Medicare levy, but now that I'm the only one working we're not liable for that anyway...but I"m afraid I'll regret it for some reason if we do cancel it

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks - Next...

Thanks to you all for your comments. We're based in WA. From the information you have provided, this would naturally lead on to my next question and debate,
    Public care verses Private care and is it really valur for money?

There is no question that my Wife and I would pay any amount to guarantee that we are getting the best care and insurance that should there be complications, that both mum and baby will get the best attention. However what are the really pros and cons of public verses private? What do we get for our money and can we use the public system whilst not in hospital and then use our HBF when my Wife goes in to hospital for the baby?

Thanks again and look forward to all your comments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went private first time, and was very happy with my care.

Was considering going public this time due to the cost, but chose to go private again simply because it was what I knew and felt comfortable with.

Some people have a lot of trouble with public care (the public section of the hospital I attend private hasn't had the best reviews from friends) others swear they received just as good if not better care in the public system as they did in the private system.

It's a hard decicion to make. I like that I've got access to 3 obstetricians and I know at least one of them will definitely be delivering my baby and I won't be stuck with someone I don't know at the last minute. At the same time, I am very keen on natural birth, whereas a lot of obstetricians can be very intervention happy, so midwife care would probably suit me quite well.

That probably didn't help at all, but really, I would just look into the public hospitals in your area, and read as much info as you can from women who birthed there and see how happy they were with their care. If you get a lot of nasty stories, go private.

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had all three of my babies privately. Tbh I would never go public simply because I liked the extended stay I had