+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guest Guest

Default Anyone live in Point Cook?

Hi, we've recently bought a block of land in Point Cook. It doesn't settle till next year though so building is a long way off. I'm starting to have doubts about moving there now and the thought of selling my house is making me jittery.
    Can anyone tell me what you like/dislike about point cook, do you find it easy to get around, shopping, schools, swimming/sporting, kids activities, dr's, dentists etc. I guess I need confirmation about the area again, its really hard when you don't live there to really get a sense of it you know?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know you want people that live there, but for now I thought I would add my 2 cents because I can't sleep and we were going to move to point cook and so I researched the heck out of it lol.

Negatives
    - traffic is really bad to get out of point cook in peak hours, apparently REALLY bad.
    - bad internet and mobile phone service still (appatently going to be fixed)
    - Flooding issues. It is build on more flood prone area than other suburbs. You need to make sure your house that you are building does not have sloping leading into the house or garage at all, and that your plumbing is good and that you have good drainage from the propery. If you make sure all of this is done when it is being built, it should be ok.
    - Closest train is Laverton station which can be really hard to park at in peak hours/through the day.

Positives
    -It is close to city and good value or the size of land/new houses.
    -They have approved preposals for a massive water pricinct. In other words, your house value will go up when they build it.
    -The community spirit is good, as it is an area designed with new families in mind so everything is catered in that direction and it is established enough for it to already be a benefit.
    - I have gone there personally for different medical things as there were quick waiting times, good doctors, new facilities (ie great x-ray and dental offices with new buildings, equiptment).
    - I have been to the little shopping villiage that they have there and it has a really cute and family feel to it. Lots of families were shopping together, using the play gym, drinking coffee on table outside etc
    - Great playgrounds, big paths around the whole of point cook which makes it easy to walk/ride bikes as a family.

Feels really safe to be there, as it is not a destination, not a place for people to go through to get to another place if that makes sense.

Even though they say that traffic is bad, it has never taken me long to drive there, and when DH and I are going for drives we have gone down to point cook in the past, driven around, had a coffee then gone to the city had a coffee, come home... All with ease! So I don't think that it would feel secluded there at all really. Melbourne is so spread apart anyway lol. If you only need to go to the city and the west side I wouldn't worry about it. If you needed to go to the east side then that would be a PITA.

So anyway, I don't know how good advice from another person who doesn't live their either is, but just thought I would answer anyway, incase there is anything different to what you know already

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha, just saw this thread again. I am glad you seem to have understood what I was trying to say. I made so many errors writing that at 1am rofl.

I guess this is also a.... BUMP! I want to hear from people who live there too, to see if the things I have heard are true

Thanks
    Reviews
    my sister lives there with 3 kids and they love it!! I love it too!! lol! their kids are 2yo, 5 yo and 7 yo and their whole street is filled with kids and families - they have been there for about 5 years and love it. they have made really great friends with all the neighbors and they babysit for each other, have street parties and really enjoy being close to shops, schools, kinders etc.... lots of parks, lakes, ducks and heaps of great facilities really close by, she has a great doctor, dentist and all the shops you could imagine at point cook now - not to mention being 15 mins from melb! good luck with building your house!!

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Another hubber, tripletime?, is moving there this weekend. Hopefully she'll hop on when she is settled and can give you her opinion.

From my perspective it seemed really nice the times we visited BIL & SIL there. Other than the drive, which was good compared to how they just moved to Hoppers Crossing. If you need a good pediatric dentist in Williamstown though I'll give you her number.

There are lots of lovely places for coffee. Parks to walk to. They moved once they had their son (were renting, bought) but I know they wished they could buy what they could in Point Cook for what they could in Hoppers.

That wasn't really much help was it.

*Sorry, I'm iPhone-lexic*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hi there, we moved to point cook about 9 weeks ago from interstate. WE LOVE IT- as the PP have said it has a real family and community feel to it, lots of activities geared towards the younger kids while the older ones are in school. the library is great and the attached community centre runs a lot of courses etc. the town centre is good for shopping with almost everything you could want and the smaller shopping centre at sancturary lakes is about to expand and put in a KMART so i'll never have to shop anywhere else

i don't drive at all (no license) but hte public transport where i live is great- within 20 minutes i can be out of my front door and on a train into the city.

apparently childcare is a nightmare, i haven't had to deal with that particular issue yet as i am a stay at home mum but htey are saying that there will not be sufficient 4 year old kinder spaces for the number of kids in the area- which i'm not terribly happy about lol.
    there are two private and one public primary schools that i know of. and in general i have found the high school kids to be very considerate and polite which i take as a good sign of positive schooling.

feel free to ask me any questions and i can try and answer them or find out for you!

enjoy building your house, i wish we were in a position to build here, i'd love to stay here permanently

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ive been here for 2 weeks & LOVE IT!! Far better than Newcastle. Only gripe i have is getting out during peak hour, but if you leave via Boardwalk Blv your fine & come back in on point cook rd of an arvo.

If you live in Saltwater Coast Estate, internet is fiber optic but has to be with telstra & there is a strat of $800pa that includes gym membership etc.

I honestly cant see us going back to Newcastle.

Guest Guest
    Oh I almost forgot about this thread too! Thanks alot everyone, it's making me feel better that people love it, I like the idea of the Kmart at Sanctuary Lakes! Our block is just near there, actually it's next door to Salwater Coast and across the road from the new sporting ovals just off Point Cook Rd and we're sort of connected to Esperance estate? If that makes sense. I'm not too keen on the kinder places though, doesn't the council have to garauntee places? hmmm I was also thinking of Westbourne Grammar but I have to apply now for the kids, I'm hoping they open something in our estate though, I know its planned near Saltwater which is right where we are, so that'll be good. Oh we don't have to pay body corp fees, our estate has no facilities, we like that though we're kinda on our own and not enclosed.
    Building will be a stress, it won't happen till next year and I'm not looking forward to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey there. I'm moving to point cook in about 2 months. We are just finishing building our house. I live in Altona just around the corner and have wanted to live there for a long time. I love the community feel and young families and how close everything is.
    We are in thirty30 estate which is off sneydes. We waited a year for our land to title but it flew by!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've been here for a little while now. Public transport is a bit of a nightmare and so is the infrastructure servicing the area. We've got a dilemma of where we're going to send our girls once they hit year 7, there's not much in the way of secondary schools, and it doesn't appear that there are any provisions for any state high schools either...go figure. Having said that, we love it here, close to the city and not far to drive to the beautiful coastal areas. It's a great place to raise kids, there's so many families here (not that I've had a chance to meet many...full time work...head in the clouds stuff ).