+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fairfield hospital or Liverpool hospital sydney?

Hi,
    Iam now 7 weeks pregnant. i need to select my maternity hospital. I can select only fairfield or liverpool hospitals in sydney.

can anyone tell me which hospital is good during pregnancy & for delivery. Does any one have experience with fairfield hospital? because i live near fairfield. If it is good i can choose that. Can anyone reply to this post please. It is urgent.
    Last edited by Itsmee; 28-06-2011 at 09:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't been to either of their maternity wards.

A friend of mine had her baby at Fairfield and was very impressed. She didn't have anything negative to say.

My DH's 75 year old grandmother has been in Liverpool hospital for the last 12 weeks as a private patient and she has been treated really badly. They have moved her over 11 times with in the 12 week period. One night she needed to go to the bathroom to do number 2, she called for the nurse to help her around 2am and was told to shut up and hold it in. Of course she couldn't, she called the nurse again and the nurse closed the door on her and took away her buzzer. The first person to visit her after that was FIL at 9am and she was still sitting in her number 2.

I'm sure this doesn't reflect on their maternity ward but the experience so far has left a sour taste.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lidz For This Useful Post:

Itsmee  (28-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi.... I have had 2 children at Liverpool hospital both were prems so no choice as I was high risk and needed a level 3 NICU both times. Liverpool is a large teaching hospital they do have alot of add on or newly developed initiatives but in saying that they are extremely busy... I only went to the dr's clinic and was always waiting hrs... To be seen. Postnatal ward is ok, it has not yet moved to the new building, the staff are very experienced and helpful most had been there for my previous child also so it was nice to see familiar faces and the nurses really do care and don't hesitate to call the dr's if warranted. The only problem I would say is inconsistency with the dr's they all have their own style but if you go private you won't have this problem.

My MIL gave birth at Fairfield and didn't have anything bad to say although that was some 18 yrs ago now, you may find if public and your closer to Fairfield with no risks they will automatically allocate the hospital go you as it depends on your area.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummypants For This Useful Post:

Itsmee  (28-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why not book in a tour of the birthing and maternity wards at both hospitals and have a look. I'm booked in at Westmead, but had the option of fairfield as well and from what ive read online everyone's experience is different. I think it depends on your expectations and the midwives you get during labour and delivery. Some women had great experiences while others didn't. The only downside to Fairfield is that it is a small hospital and from what ive read doesn't have a NICU which means you'd be transferred to Livo if any issues arose. Remember if you start off with one, you can change your mind later (as long as they have places available).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChelleD For This Useful Post:

Itsmee  (28-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first child last year at Liverpool hospital as it's my local. The clinic had hours of waiting time for check ups which was frustrating. The delivery unit was awesome and can not fault them at all, they certainly do know their stuff. DD's heart monitor kept going off and they pulled out all the stops to get her out. I really think had I been elsewhere it would have ended in a c-section.

As for post care,....... Well I was not a happy camper!! Lol bubs was born under their magical 2.5kg rule which meant a five day stay etc none of which I was told about. The midwives (except for two) were rude and inconsistent in their assistance and not empathetic. They took forever to answer the buzzers claiming they were busy but I could see and hear them from my bed reading magazines and gossiping about patients on the ward. Nevertheless I did complain but I was also emotional being a first time mum so most of it fell on deaf ears. Some staff I spoke with did say that a lot if changes did need to be made.

It's not my intention to scare you off Liverpool as while my experience was negative there will be twice as many people with a positive experience. After care in most places could probably use a lift as they often say when it comes to advice with breastfeeding etc.

As a pp said go on the tours of both hospitals and ask lots of questions. Get a feel for the surroundings to see if you would feel comfy there. Also worth asking how long partners can stay once bub is born. I cried when they made hubby go home, I felt like a bit of a prisoner lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone..thank you so much for your quick replies..It is my first pregnancy so, iam bit worried/confused about the hospitals. As you said i will apply for both hospitals..hope i will get a better one..

if any other people have experience with fairfield hospital, can you please post ur reply..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Can any one else reply me back about the fairfield hospital pleeease..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, I gave birth to my son at Liverpool hospital 6weeks ago and they were very good on the birthing unit but once I got to the maternity ward the midwives and nurses were so busy. In the birthing unit I was checked 4times, at first I was 3-4cm then 5-6 cm then 7-8cm and then, when the midwife who eventually delivered my baby checked, I was 5cm -.-" then they broke my waters and a whole new world of pain came on. Once on the maternity ward, my back was killing me, I was put there at 4:30am and woken up at 6am by one of the nurses so I can feed my baby. It wasn't until the third day till I could bath my baby for the first time -.-" but my time in the birthing unit was ok. Liverpool hospital needs to find workers before thinking about upgrading tbh -.-"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My cousin gave birth to both her daughters at Liverpool hospital and couldn't fault it. She loved it.
    Isn't Liverpool one of the best hospitals now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsmee View Post
    Hi Can any one else reply me back about the fairfield hospital pleeease..
    Fairfield is really good. I know the head midwife there and she is brilliant. Although she is on Maternity leave now and should be having baby any minute now. I biryhed at Blacktoen but went to Fairfield for all after checks and I wish I had birthed there.

Brain, brain, gone away, will come back another day.