+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default thumb sucker

hi i am just wondering if anyone has some ideas on how to wean my 19 month old from sucking her thumb?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I wish I knew

My DS2 was 4 days old when I first noticed his thumb in his mouth. He is now 5 and it is still in his mouth

His teeth are fine, but the skin on his thumb is just awful I am starting to do some research on it at the moment (in between everything else I have to do) so when I get some info and answers I can let you know

Good luck in the meantime, let me know how you go

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DQ For This Useful Post:

michelle2  (03-02-2012)

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can get stuff you put on their thumbs that tastes horrid. A lot of kids figure out that if you suck enough the terrible taste goes away.

Both my boys are thumbsuckers. Even their ultrasound pics show them sucking their thumbs. I' hoping they'll get over it. DS1 only does it when he is tired now or sleeping. He's 3. His teeth seem fine. My SIL is a dental nurse and said that it only really effects teeth if it occures after 5.

Sorry, I'm iPhone-lexic

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bellalika For This Useful Post:

michelle2  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Id love to know!

We have tried the yucky tasting stuff, she just rubs it off or sucks while pulling faces until its gone. You can get these plastic or material things that cover their thumbs (kinda like a glove but only goes over the thumb) we had a look at them but she wouldnt be able to draw or anything with those things on her hand.

Her teeth are fine. We went to the dentist about a week ago and they said her teeth are fine and it wont matter until her baby teeth fall out, most kids stop when they get to prep if not before.
    She doesnt show any signs of stopping yet!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bank For This Useful Post:

michelle2  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My cousin is 20 and that damn thumb is in her mouth all the time they tried everything even a plate with a spike in it nope the thumb still went in any tips would be handy I've even busted her driving with the thumb the sooner u kick the habit the better

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Omgshoes For This Useful Post:

michelle2  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep I have a friend who still sucked her thumb at 16 and I wouldn't be surprised if she still secretly does it now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for all the replies we had tried everything we could think of but nothing was working so we tried the bandaids but she kept taking them off so I got some strapping tape of the same sort of material as the bandaids to cut it a bit longer so far it is working we put it on both of her thumbs when we put her down to sleep and so far so good

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is getting there only realy sucking it when she goes to bed but i still catch her every now and again I tried all the different things but they didnt work I found making a big deal about it only made her do it more but still havent got her to stop