This is a list of all the fantastic tips you all shared about how to help reduce our power bills from my thread "Cutting down you power bill"

Mods, Can we please make this a sticky

-Wait till you have a full load of washing before putting a load on.

-use clothes horse instead of dryer.

-use energy efficient light bulbs.

-Turn things off at the wall like tvs computers etc.

-Use blankets & layers instead of heaters.

-changing the settings on washer to cold & only 1 rinse. It's default setting is 40deg and 4 rinses.

-we only use the heater 30min kids bath and turn it off about 2 hours later.

-(water) I've been hand washing most nights (we don't use enough dishes for dishwasher)

-I also found keeping an eye on the meter helps too as i can watch how much we use.

-Downgrade things if they are too big such as fridge

-Looking at your bill to see if you are on a peak/off peak/shoulder type of plan and use your electricity accordingly.

-Turn OFF old fridges used for beer in the garage etc, they are usually power guzzlers.

-If you have a big chest freezer that is half empty - fill it with bags of ice. The freezer will operate more efficiently keeping food cold not air.

-Switch water to only heat in off peak times.

-You can get LED downlights, they are more energy efficient, but very pricey.

-Install Skylights if possible so you have natural light throughout the house.

-Invest ($50) in a kwh reader from ebay that can be plugged into appliances to tell you how much it is costing you to use your appliances.

-Buy a cent-a-meter (needs to be hardwired into your meter box), which measures how many kwh we're using at any given time of the day.

-Door snakes.

-Rugs on hard floors.

-Close heater vents on rooms that don't get used (for ducted heating) so all heat goes to rooms used and heater is more effective.

-If u have a double oven use smaller oven instead of large.

-Don't use dryer unnecessarily. Hand washing on clothes horse then give a shorter stint in the dryer if needed.

-Turn hot water service down.

-Get insulation if you haven't got it.

-Get solar panels.

-When we are relaxing late at night..we use candles (looks so lovely)...

-If the power is off longer then a certain amount of time you get money back..
not sure what happened last quarter but we had $300 back..our bill ended up being $147 ..very good!!

- Make sure if you have power outage or they turn off your power without informing you record it..and inform the company..

-If you have a gas cook-top you can buy a kettle to use on it rather than an electric kettle.

-Reheat food on the gas cook-top rather than microwave.

- A front loader Washing machine is more economical - power and water wise

-only heat the living rooms, you don't see the need to heat the sleeping areas unless there's a medical reason ie. flu etc

-If you have electric hot water....have shorter showers

-I use a lamp with an energy efficient bulb in my lounge instead of having the 4 downlights which use quite a bit more electricity.

-If I have to boil the kettle, I only put in enough for one cup if it's just for a cuppa for myself.

-Don't use hot water in the washing.

-Chargers for cameras / mobile phones / laptops draw power all the time they are switched on, even if you aren't charging anything. So switch on to charge and then switch off at the wall when you are finished.

-Moving portable heaters away from windows.

-Using block out blinds/curtains on windows.

-Only heating what you need to heat- ie don't heat a whole room for one person! I use an electric throw rug when its just me costs about 3c to run where as a portable heater or aircon is about 45c.

-Hot water bottles/heat bags to heat beds.

-After using the oven to cook leave the door open to take advantage of the heat.

-Stop the dishwasher before it steam dries and leave the door open to airdry.

-Airing racks

-Look at having pool pumps run during off peak times and if you don't use it in winter reduce its cycle time down to the least you can handle (everyone is different in this aspect I know people who let it go green in winter whilst others still need to do at least 6 hours for mental health )

-Use any boiled water left over (like from steaming vegies) to pour on weeds. Kills them quicker than any weed killer I know.

-Use the BBQ to do a lot of cooking.

-Cook two meals at once and then reheat stuff the next night.

- inverter air cons, works out cheaper to run them for longer than in shorter bursts, so leave them on heat / cool over night in quiet mode.

- I also rang our electricity provider, told them a rival company came to our door and offered 7% discount to change (which they did) - I asked them to match it and they did.

- try to cook extra and just re-heat the next night or freeze for another night.

-The 4L wine casks you buy at the bottle shop make wicked hot water bottles and they stay hot for HOURS, much longer than normal hot water bottles.

-Use the microwave to cook more now too, it uses heaps less power than the oven. I do my roasts in both microwave and oven - a 2kg chicken, for 20mins in the microwave and 40mins in the oven, so it is in the oven for heaps less time, using less energy but still gets the nice browning from the oven that the microwave doesn't give on it's own.

-