+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A Party of Five View Post
    I'm in Tassie too

We are building new house and we are thinking of going for solar and wind power as a family of seven our power bills would very higg.
    That's a very smart idea but remember they are cutting or already have the solar rebate.

We have the cheapest way of making power (hydro) in the country yet pay the most.. Go figure!!

Great idea WCM, our BBQ is electric must buy a gas one I think. Lol

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have inverter air cons, it works out cheaper to run them for longer than in shorter bursts, so we'll leave them on heat / cool over night in quiet mode.

I also rang our electricity provider, told them a rival company came to our door and offered 7% discount to change (which they did) - I asked them to match it and they did

Our bill for 4 adults, dual living (2 separate families) (including a washer / dryer / deep freeze) is $400 a quarter.

Use cold water powder for your machine when using cold water as it stuffs the machine up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found turning the heater themostat down just a few degrees made a HUGE difference and leaving it running vs turning it on and off helped as well.

I only cold water wash and often put a load on before going to bed so its running in off peak.

I try to cook extra and just re-heat the next night or freeze for another night.

The 4L wine casks you buy at the bottle shop make wicked hot water bottles and they stay hot for HOURS, much longer than normal hot water bottles.

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    great ideas

I have two to add:

we now use the BBQ to do a lot of our cooking

I often cook two meals at once and then reheat stuff the next night
    We do this often too (big time saver when DH is on night shift too) and if we don't feel like the same thing the next night then I freeze it and reheat in a weeks time.

We also use the microwave to cook more now too, it uses heaps less power than the oven. I do my roasts in both microwave and oven - a 2kg chicken, for 20mins in the microwave and 40mins in the oven, so it is in the oven for heaps less time, using less energy but still gets the nice browning from the oven that the microwave doesn't give on it's own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheer Bliss View Post
    We do this often too (big time saver when DH is on night shift too) and if we don't feel like the same thing the next night then I freeze it and reheat in a weeks time.

We also use the microwave to cook more now too, it uses heaps less power than the oven. I do my roasts in both microwave and oven - a 2kg chicken, for 20mins in the microwave and 40mins in the oven, so it is in the oven for heaps less time, using less energy but still gets the nice browning from the oven that the microwave doesn't give on it's own.
    Oh I never knew the oven used more power then the microwave. Thanks for that useful info

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just done my nightly 'switch off' before bed. Most things are off during the day besides the tv points. I also turn the computer & wireless/Internet off in the night time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LG View Post
    If I have to boil the kettle, I only put in enough for one cup if it's just for a cuppa for myself. I like the above idea about getting a stove top kettle though as my gas is much cheaper.
    My parents fill their kettle to the brim every time they have a coffee or a tea (which is about 20times per day between them). It drives me nuts when I am there and notice it. ESP when my dad used to go crazy about us kids leaving our bedroom lights on.