+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    One thing I didn't know was that chargers for cameras / mobile phones / laptops draw power all the time they are switched on, even if you aren't charging anything. So switch on to charge and then switch off at the wall when you are finished.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xkwzit View Post
    One thing I didn't know was that chargers for cameras / mobile phones / laptops draw power all the time they are switched on, even if you aren't charging anything. So switch on to charge and then switch off at the wall when you are finished.
    ohh, that's handy to know! I always have my iPhone charger plugged in near my bed and I plug it in overnight.....will make sure I unplug the charger now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Do people who use try to use gas instead of electricity actual find it works out cheaper?
    We have gas cooking and hot water. We rarely use the stove/oven and don't use hot water excessively but our gas bills are always heaps more expensive then the electricity bill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i more than halved our electricity bill this last quarter from the one before.

for us it was being aware of the peak/off peak times and running washing and dishwasher accordingly.

unplugged clothes dryer at the wall and only use in emergency - as in after a week of rain.

brought extra indoor clothes racks so now have enough to hang the 2 loads of washing i do each day.

teaching DD1 to turn lights off and trying to teach DH!

ensuring everything is switched off before we leave the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow ladies, some fantastic tips!

Bumping for the night time hubbers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thread. I'm in Tassie too and dreading our next power bill

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    Oh yep, I hear you!! I pay money every pay and was always in credit. I haven't had that luxury for years, now I always end up with a bill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post

WOW didnt even consider power prices in Tassy..we are thinking of moving there.

Currently in perth and we've just installed solar power...Yes its a big expence straight out but very worth it. We were getting power bills in the $500 mark, since we put in solar they've been about $50!!!!!!

A Party of Five is offline Winner 2008 � Most Boring Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in Tassie too

Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    In tassie power is going up another 11% in July
    We are building new house and we are thinking of going for solar and wind power as a family of seven our power bills would very higg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    great ideas

I have two to add:

we now use the BBQ to do a lot of our cooking

I often cook two meals at once and then reheat stuff the next night