+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Door snakes.
    Rugs on hard floors.

Close heater vents on rooms that don't get used (for ducted heating) so all heat goes to rooms used and heater is more effective.

If u have a double oven use smaller oven instead of large.

Turn off tv/radio if ur not in the room.

Don't use dryer unnecessarily. Hand washing on clothes horse then give a shorter stint in the dryer if needed.

Turn hot water service down.

Get insulation if you haven't got it.

Use appliances such as dishwasher and washing machine and dryer during off peak times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We sold our little city place .....
    We moved about a hour from the city..
    we are on just under 1 acre ..
    we are on tank water..
    have now installed wood heater (so we don't use the central heating as much)..
    it is a much cooler here (hard in the winter though) so we don't use air con (maybe 2 days of the year)..
    We are getting solar panels..generate our own electricity ..
    When we are relaxing late at night..we use candles (looks so lovely)...
    Most appliances are switched off at wall when not used...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    In tassie power is going up another 11% in July

I'm frightened as we are already receiving $1100 bills and have now moved to a heat pump House.

It's no doubt rising everywhere so I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread about things we can do to cut the cost of our power bills.

-Wait till you have a full load of washing before putting a load on.

-use clothes horse instead of dryer.

-use energy efficient light bulbs.

Please feel free to add more
    Probably already mentioned, but turning things off at the wall when not in use helps, also not having things like the tv on all day. My current elec bill is $139, the one before that was $98. I don't have a washing machine (though I am trying to save for one), don't have the heater on at all (same with the aircon during Summer), the only thing left on 24/7 is the fridge. I only use the dryer if needed (more so in Winter), make sure kids don't leave lights on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheer Bliss View Post
    Looking at your bill to see if you are on a peak/off peak/shoulder type of plan and use your electricity accordingly. Ie Set your dishwasher to start at 10pm on a weekday, same as the washing machine etc, and then do any extra in the mornings before midday to keep it in the cheaper energy band.

Turn OFF old fridges used for beer in the garage etc, they are usually power guzzlers. Mum and dad have one that they just turn on at christmas and easter as it sits there empty most of the year.

If you have a big chest freezer that is half empty - fill it with bags of ice. Then you are ready for the next party/camping trip and the freezer will operate more efficiently keeping food cold not air.
    I agree, it costs more money to run and empty fridge or freezer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get solar panels our last two bills were credits and I have the reverse cycle heat/aircon on almost every morning, two fridges. They are great

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also we get power outages every so often (from idiots hitting trees)..if the power is off longer then a certain amount of time you get money back..
    not sure what happened last quarter but we had $300 back..our bill ended up being $147 ..very good!!

So make sure if you have power outage or they turn off your power without informing you record it..and inform the company..
    we are wanting more power outages!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have a gas cook-top you can buy a kettle to use on it rather than an electric kettle. Also, reheat food on the gas cook-top rather than microwave.

If I am going to be baking I wait until late afternoon (the time I usually put the heater on) and start baking then. That way it warms up the house and I can put the heater on an hour or two later than usual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    all great suggestions!
    It amazes me the amount of people who still use a clothes dryer to dry everything - it costs a fortune!
    We have a front loader which is very economical - power and water wise
    We only heat the living rooms in our house - don't see the need to heat the sleeping areas unless there's a medical reason ie. flu etc
    Use energy efficient light bulbs, although we have high ceilings and they are a bit duller than normal ones but we're getting used to it
    turn off the TV/DVD player/computer at the wall when not in use - the stand by lights use power and it all adds up
    Make sure your house is well insulated - walls, doors, windows and roof spaces
    You can buy the foam stick on stuff for gaps for doors and windows and it can make a difference
    Use good window coverings for night time and shut the curtains

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you have electric hot water....have shorter showers

Turn off lights in rooms you're not using (pretty obvious that one)

I use a lamp with an energy efficient bulb in my lounge instead of having the 4 downlights which use quite a bit more electricity.

If I have to boil the kettle, I only put in enough for one cup if it's just for a cuppa for myself. I like the above idea about getting a stove top kettle though as my gas is much cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our electricity bill is only ever $200-$250 for a 3 bedroom house.

We dont use hot water in the washing.

We turn off the kettle and the toaster at the power point if they arent being used.

If your not in the room turn the light off, we have energy saving light bulbs.

My mum has made us all "couch quilts" and we dont actually own a heater.

Thats pretty much it. We have 2 fridges, 2 flat screen tv's, a huge sound system, a play station and xbox that are always on. A laptop and a computer that are always on. So it makes me wonder how people get such huge power bills!!!