+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Cutting down your power bill

In tassie power is going up another 11% in July

I'm frightened as we are already receiving $1100 bills and have now moved to a heat pump House.

It's no doubt rising everywhere so I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread about things we can do to cut the cost of our power bills.

-Wait till you have a full load of washing before putting a load on.

-use clothes horse instead of dryer.

-use energy efficient light bulbs.

Please feel free to add more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Turn things off at the wall like tvs computers etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Use blankets & layers instead of heaters (might not work in tas though)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been doing the following

-changing the settings on washer to cold & only 1 rinse. It's default setting is 40deg and 4 rinses.

-turning everything off at the wall that is not in use. It gets annoying at first but now it's working.

-changing lightbulbs

-we only use the heater 30min kids bath and turn it off about 2 hours later.

-(water) I've been hand washing most nights (we don't use enough dishes for dishwasher)

Our last bill was $510, our highest yet. I hope these new things take it down a LOT!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thread idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you tassies power prices are out of control. When I lived there my bill came 1200! It hard not to use a dryer with a newborn and one in school. And it's so cold and raining. I gave no advice really just venting.. Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Everything at the wall must be turned off.

Light bulbs energy efficient

Downgrade things if they are too big such as fridge

Our bills were ranging 500 plus and now we have them down to just over 100 a quarter but i can see that rising with me cooking all the time.

I also found keeping an eye on the meter helps too as i can watch how much we use.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Looking at your bill to see if you are on a peak/off peak/shoulder type of plan and use your electricity accordingly. Ie Set your dishwasher to start at 10pm on a weekday, same as the washing machine etc, and then do any extra in the mornings before midday to keep it in the cheaper energy band.

Turn OFF old fridges used for beer in the garage etc, they are usually power guzzlers. Mum and dad have one that they just turn on at christmas and easter as it sits there empty most of the year.

If you have a big chest freezer that is half empty - fill it with bags of ice. Then you are ready for the next party/camping trip and the freezer will operate more efficiently keeping food cold not air.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bills usually $175 per quarter so I do okay but it's rising 1st July.

That's for 3 bedroom house

Thanks
    Reviews
    We dread getting our power bill every time it's due. It's always between $500 and $600....and we've done everything we possibly can to reduce our usage.

We don't have natural gas where we live, but our heating is from a gas bottle, or we use the coonara. So all of our appliances are electric, which is where our main cost comes from.

We've switched our water to only heat in off peak times, and have also turned the thermostat right down on it, so it's not hot hot when it comes out, but it's warm enough to shower/bath in.

All of our lights are either energy efficient light globes (only have 3 in the house of those) and the rest are downlights. The main light in the kitchen is a fluorescent, but we also have two downlights in there. You can get LED downlights, so i'm slowly replacing all of ours with those as they are more energy efficient, but very pricey.

All of our appliances get turned off at the wall, we don't leave anything on standby.

We've got nice thick curtains, so it helps keep the heat in in winter, and the heat out in summer.

We are in the process of figuring out where we will install a few skylights, so we have natural light throughout the house and have to use the lights less.

We invested ($50) in a kwh reader from ebay that can be plugged into appliances. We figured out how much each appliance costs to run. So we know that it's 12c per boil of the kettle, 22c per load of washing...etc

DP also bought a cent-a-meter (needs to be hardwired into your meter box), which measures how many kwh we're using at any given time of the day. So i can look at it at say midday, and see what we're using, and if i think it's too much i can go turn something off. Since getting that i've seen we're using things that we don't so much need to have on, and are saving a bit there.

I think the main power bill killer for us is that our stove and oven (and hot water) are electric, when i use them, the cent-a-meter goes up over 7kwh for the duration of use. We're waiting for them to cark it so we can install a newer more efficient one (and connect it up to our gas bottle....but the gas bill is another story!).